Exercising with anxiety

Hi all,

I am no stranger to exercise, before my 2nd child I used to run half marathons and hit the gym fairly often. However, 2nd child is about to turn 6 and I have put on about 15 lbs and haven't done much of anything in the last few years. Much of that has to do with my problems with anxiety. I don't want to go into too much detail here, but is there a board/forum for those who are trying to get healthier while also dealing with anxiety/depression?

My youngest just started Kindergarten, and I work from home so I have a flexible schedule and there are no more excuses for me not to eat better and exercise. I'm nearing 40 and am committed to making these changes...but would love the support of others who might have an idea of what I'm dealing with mentally. Thanks so much!

Replies

• eatingems
    eatingems Posts: 108 Member
    I literally do all my exercise at home. I used to go to the gym, spin class, dance class or out running when I weighed a lot less than I do now. I ended up developing a BED, gaining a tonne of weight and exercising in front of people made me anxious so I quit everything that I was a part of.

Now I have two exercise DVD's that I alternate and a tonne of videos on youtube that I love and I get to work out in the privacy of my own home. Maybe one day I'll get the courage to go back to my classes!
  • tadosmichelle2003
    tadosmichelle2003 Posts: 1 Member
    alfordmg wrote: »
    Hi all,

I am no stranger to exercise, before my 2nd child I used to run half marathons and hit the gym fairly often. However, 2nd child is about to turn 6 and I have put on about 15 lbs and haven't done much of anything in the last few years. Much of that has to do with my problems with anxiety. I don't want to go into too much detail here, but is there a board/forum for those who are trying to get healthier while also dealing with anxiety/depression?

My youngest just started Kindergarten, and I work from home so I have a flexible schedule and there are no more excuses for me not to eat better and exercise. I'm nearing 40 and am committed to making these changes...but would love the support of others who might have an idea of what I'm dealing with mentally. Thanks so much!
    Hi all,

Hi all,

Hi all,

• SkinnyGirlCarrie
    SkinnyGirlCarrie Posts: 259 Member
    Hey there,

Not sure if there is a board or group (tho, there probably is!) but many threads around this. I suffer from anxiety too, I'm 41 with 2 kids (almost 13 and almost 10). Lost about 30lbs or so and have kept it off except for a recent sort of creep up that I am trying to correct!

Feel free to friend me if you want MFP friends :smiley:

I workout 5-6 days a week usually and feel it helps with my anxiety a great deal. I'm not really a gym person but follow Fitness Blender and usually work out with their YouTube Channel and aside from that walk/run either outside or on my treadmill. Discovered I like to run but my hip and knee joints don't as much (ah, age) so I tend to walk/run interval.

Good luck!
  • Rufftimes
    Rufftimes Posts: 349 Member
    Exercise daily, but never set foot in a gym. Add me!
  • Walking everyday helps my anxiety.
  • daynasrose
    daynasrose Posts: 46 Member
    I have recently had a nasty recurrence of anxiety/panic attacks. It got so bad I ended up cancelling my gym membership and stopped driving as much. Now I workout at home and do more activity outside - running, biking, swimming. So far it has helped the anxiety immensely. I have three kids and am a SAHM at the moment. Would love to have a friend who understands my anxiety/panic attacks.
  • crackpotbaby
    crackpotbaby Posts: 1,297 Member
    I typed out reply to this thread yesterday but somehow failed to post it, apparently.

I have bipolar disorder and with it a lot of anxiety. While I'm 'high functioning' (wtf?) enough to work in a close, stressful clinical setting I can't stand the gym.

I get great 'not quite calm but maybe some sort of zen or similar' working out outside.

I run or walk trails in the local bush reserve.
    I've set up a squat rack in my back yard so I can come home from work, duck out the back door in the cool of the evening and crunch out some weights.

Exercise helps me deal with the rest of life.
    If I'm limited to groups and gyms I make excuses not to do it as I'm frequently so uncomfortable there.

Being outside in a natural environment seems to have extra mental health benefits for me.

You're all welcome to add me. I post a bit in my feed about my mental health/fitness and manageing them both.
  • alfordmg
    alfordmg Posts: 2 Member
    Thank you to all of you who replied. It helps to know that I am not alone. I don't love the gym and rarely go, but I have a friend who has convinced me to take a few classes with her. That wasn't terrible so I may continue that. I recently discovered hiking/trails and it is amazing how much being "in nature" helped me. However, my anxiety prevents me from going alone on trails, so I can't do that very often unless I have my husband or a friend with me. I'll add some of you. Thank you again for making me feel welcome!
  • jasummers76
    jasummers76 Posts: 225 Member
    When my anxiety or mania flares up. Everyone says exercise, however I just can not do it for some reason. I know it does help many and am not saying do not try it. I find keeping busy around the house, internet, movies help me mentally and for me that has to come first. Basically anything that can get yourself out of your head will help doesn't matter what it is.