MFP Poll -How many do their own lawns vs hiring someone?

Replies

• cincyjoe77
    cincyjoe77 Posts: 3 Member
    mow all the time, and my brother's yard as well. great me time/music and thinking
  • SomebodyWakeUpHIcks
    SomebodyWakeUpHIcks Posts: 3,836 Member
    pssh bushes are so 1977

Mmm, not so sure about that. They were still going strong in the 80's.

• SomebodyWakeUpHIcks
    SomebodyWakeUpHIcks Posts: 3,836 Member
    edited August 2017
    Caporegiem wrote: »
    I mow my own, used to do some landscaping work on the side for money but I grew tired of it. You wouldn't believe how bad some people let their bushes get. Not to mention some of the stuff you'd find in them once you got your hands in there.

Found a French fry in mine once after a party

Dang, all I ever find in my bushes are dust and cobwebs.

And me.

man-with-binoculars.jpg
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Caporegiem wrote: »
    I mow my own, used to do some landscaping work on the side for money but I grew tired of it. You wouldn't believe how bad some people let their bushes get. Not to mention some of the stuff you'd find in them once you got your hands in there.

Found a French fry in mine once after a party

Dang, all I ever find in my bushes are dust and cobwebs.

And me.

man-with-binoculars.jpg

rh9a0dihpbum.gif
  • thedcubed1
    thedcubed1 Posts: 7,209 Member
    I mow my own and it takes about an hour and a half. Good times
  • pudgy1977
    pudgy1977 Posts: 13,499 Member
    thedcubed1 wrote: »

You must have a large lawn
  • thedcubed1
    thedcubed1 Posts: 7,209 Member
    pudgy1977 wrote: »
    thedcubed1 wrote: »

You must have a large lawn

Just a little over an acre...but that's not ALL grass, it just has a big hill that runs the length of the yard.
  • I do it myself as I actually enjoy making it look nice.
  • bunnies46
    bunnies46 Posts: 7 Member
    I just got done mowing my lawn :-) I mow my lawn with a gas push mower. We have an acre, takes about 1 1/2 hours to do. I do it because once upon a time I was fluffy, really fluffy and mowing the lawn helped with my fluffy problem. Now that I am well within normal weight, I mow to keep the fluffies away! It's good exercise (it's a hilly lawn with trees), I always work up a sweat. Plus I'm short and I always mow the hard way, like up the hill instead of down the hill, so it's a good work out. I do not edge and my lawn bushes look awful.
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,983 Member
    I pay someone to do it.
    Best $20 a week I spend.
  • Rosemary7391
    Rosemary7391 Posts: 232 Member
    It's on my list to try and convince my neighbours that we should pay for someone to mow our patch. Block of 8 flats, of course no one owns a mower. I keep thinking about taking some shears to "my" 1/8, but it's just depressing... (higher on the list is to teach neighbours how to use the bins that also reside in the yard...)
  • joelschneider45066
    joelschneider45066 Posts: 76 Member
    I mow my two acres with a push mower .... to get in my steps and calories on my non gym days ..lol
  • pudgy1977
    Has anyone had a neighborhood boy come now the yard for you? Not sure if I'd have to worry about age and such.
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    edited August 2017
    Has anyone had a neighborhood boy come now the yard for you? Not sure if I'd have to worry about age and such.

As your life advisor: I would go with someone that has a bit more experience but if you choose not to make sure you have good insurance and maybe a lawyer.

Just in case he accidentally loses a toe or something.
  • Caporegiem
    Caporegiem Posts: 4,297 Member
    I do it myself. There's only me and the cat here so............................ :/

Do you realize how much money you could make if you taught your cat to use the lawnmower though? There are literally dozens of people out there that would pay good money for a cat to mow their yard.
  • pudgy1977

As your life advisor: I would go with someone that has a bit more experience but if you choose not to make sure you have good insurance and maybe a lawyer.

I'm giving you a raise

• ecjim
    ecjim Posts: 1,001 Member

I used to mow neighbors' with power mowers when I was 10 or 12 y/o - but I guess we didn't have as many lawyers needing a paycheck back then. Eastcoast Jim
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    edited August 2017
    My ex always mowed, weeded, cared for the lawn (it was his hobby pretty much), but I rented a duplex after the divorce and got so used to the landlord doing it all (included). Then my husband and I got married, we stayed in that duplex for a couple of years and he also got used to the lawn just magically looking nice all of the time with no effort or planning on our part.

Since neither of us are even remotely interested in gardening, landscaping, etc, and our home has a small yard, we pay a local service. It's really cheap when paid as a plan annually, so it includes ice/snow removal (we're in an area that gets very little ice/snow if any, but still pretty nice to have that handled). We travel quite a bit and take a lot of little weekend trips, so it's great not to have to think about it, not having to maintain lawn equipment, etc.

The funny part, to me, is that my husband's biggest client at work is lawn care related.