Help, advice, kick in the butt???

Hi there :) I've been doing OMAD for about 8 months now. I'm still about 100 lbs overweight. 55 year old female. I've lost 43. I've stopped losing I'm basically bouncing around the same 8 lbs or so. It's starting to actually creep up though and I'm getting scared. I'm not sure what to tweak first. I've come from a long time of trying and failing at keto and I started out SO happy on OMAD... being able to eat what I liked until I got full was amazing. I was kind of out of control for the first month or so but after I got used to not having to restrict all the time I started to eat much better and healthier. Lately I'm craving crap all the time and don't feel satisfied unless I'm stuffed. :( I am under a lot of stress... selling a house and buying one at the same time so I know that may be a factor. I'm so scared though, I thought this was my magic bullet, the thing that was FINALLY going to work. I'm getting discouraged. Any advice? Ideas? Something I might not have thought of? Thank you <3

Replies

• arguablysamson
    arguablysamson Posts: 1,706 Member
    You are already succeeding, but you will need to keep going. Work on eating less at the daily meal. Don't lose ground.
  • tlblanksfit
    tlblanksfit Posts: 1,573 Member
    I agree, stick with the OMAD basics. One meal, one plate, one hour. I have recommitted to the basics of OMAD and have begin losing steadily again. OMAD works if you work it.
  • Zowiezombie
    Zowiezombie Posts: 5 Member
    Thank you for the encouragement. It just stinks when week after week you see the same numbers. It feels like I must be doing something horribly wrong.
  • minigrrll
    minigrrll Posts: 1,590 Member
    What are you ingesting in your fasting window? There is some evidence that drinking sweet drinks (like diet drinks) can spike insulin causing you to be more hungry. Also chewing sugarless gum and putting anything in your coffee/tea.

There is a great book called "Delay Don't Deny" that I really recommend reading which explains a lot of that stuff.

And super big congratulations on the weight you have already lost - that is awesome!
  • Zowiezombie
    While fasting I have plain ice water, black coffee or iced tea with a slice of lemon usually. That's it. No diet sodas, gum, etc. Thank you!
  • minigrrll
    Should be all good then - I guess it's not that (though some people do say that the lemon could be a problem?)...

Maybe you just need to not be so hard on yourself until after you finish with all the house stuff? Stress is brutal... Then maybe do something like Tracey is doing and really work on the one plate thing...
  • Zowiezombie
    I think starting tomorrow I'm going to change my window from 3 hours to 1 and see what that does. I don't usually eat for the whole 3 hours... usually just a leisurely drink and a snack. I will try that though and see what happens. If I still see no movement I will go to the one plate thing. I hate to restrict too much cause I've finally gotten free of the diet thinking and don't want to go down that road anymore. <3 Thanks so much for your help.
  • minigrrll
    I agree about the restriction thing - it's a slippery slope for me too...
  • wsandy8512
    wsandy8512 Posts: 1,897 Member
    Thank you for the encouragement. It just stinks when week after week you see the same numbers. It feels like I must be doing something horribly wrong.

Something else to keep in mind is that after you've lost a significant amount of weight like you have, your body doesn't require as many calories as it used to so it may be time for a small cut on food intake. You also have stress going on which raises cortisol levels and that can cause us to hold onto or even gain weight. Hopefully with a bit of tweaking with your hours and intake is all that will be needed for you to begin a downward trend again. :-)

• blsxxx
    blsxxx Posts: 11 Member
    Zowiezombie, I created a myfitnesspal profile, just so I could respond to you. I've been lurking since April when I started OMAD, but felt compelled to respond to you because I'm in a similar situation and can feel your frustration.

Last week was my 19th week on OMAD and I'd lost 18 lbs. I have over 200 lbs to lose, so as much as I loooooove OMAD, I was disappointed. But there's no way I'm giving up on OMAD. So I was reading Jim's (jvcinv) thread and admiring his before and after pictures and went back to his initial posts and marveled at the results of his 11 day fast. OMAD had become easy for me, so why not a challenge. I didn't think I could do 11 days like Jim, so I tried 5 days. I stepped on the scale Monday and wow, I lost 19.6 lbs in 5 days! I knew some weight would come back once I started eating again, but I'm still down over 10 lbs with the water fast. To continue to try to shake things up, I'm trying 6 day OMAD/1 day water fast. I'm also cutting back on sweets. My "desserts" this week have been melons and cucumbers.

My point is, don't give up on OMAD. Tweak it to suit you. Find inspiration on this board. People like Joe and Jim who have lost hundreds of pounds on OMAD let you know it works. Just make it work for you. ...Brenda
  • mistymeadows2005
    mistymeadows2005 Posts: 3,737 Member
    blsxxx wrote: »
    Zowiezombie, I created a myfitnesspal profile, just so I could respond to you. I've been lurking since April when I started OMAD, but felt compelled to respond to you because I'm in a similar situation and can feel your frustration.

Last week was my 19th week on OMAD and I'd lost 18 lbs. I have over 200 lbs to lose, so as much as I loooooove OMAD, I was disappointed. But there's no way I'm giving up on OMAD. So I was reading Jim's (jvcinv) thread and admiring his before and after pictures and went back to his initial posts and marveled at the results of his 11 day fast. OMAD had become easy for me, so why not a challenge. I didn't think I could do 11 days like Jim, so I tried 5 days. I stepped on the scale Monday and wow, I lost 19.6 lbs in 5 days! I knew some weight would come back once I started eating again, but I'm still down over 10 lbs with the water fast. To continue to try to shake things up, I'm trying 6 day OMAD/1 day water fast. I'm also cutting back on sweets. My "desserts" this week have been melons and cucumbers.

My point is, don't give up on OMAD. Tweak it to suit you. Find inspiration on this board. People like Joe and Jim who have lost hundreds of pounds on OMAD let you know it works. Just make it work for you. ...Brenda

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSS TO ALL OF THIS! Shake things up, try things and find what works AND you can viably sustain in the long run! When I started adding full fasting days in, it HUGELY jump started the pace at which I was losing, which helps keep you motivated...and going back on OMAD after those is really pretty easy! Keep at it!
  • katjustkat
    katjustkat Posts: 754 Member
    Yes, definitely just keep at it. I would keep the eating window to 1 hour....more than that and you can get hungry at least two times and then that's probably two OMAD meals. Also put all the food you're going to eat in front of you all together at the same time so that you can see how much it is and then you'll know you're done when you've eaten it all. Also take a picture of your food so that you can look back on it and feel like you got yours if you get hungry. Don't let your head play games with you, you're doing great :) If you get hungry...go for a walk and you'll forget about food. Continued success to you.
  • ooliviuoo
    ooliviuoo Posts: 81 Member
    edited August 2017
    Just stay away for a while for the food who spike your insulin level. Check any website with glycemic index like www.glycemicindex.com ans stay away (for a while) for IG > 55. Do this and also OMAD and you will be amazed.....

You will lose weight for sure.
  • blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    I believe in that! Glycemic load is even more important Imo (takes into account seeing sizes).
  • Zowiezombie
    blsxxx wrote: »

Amazing Brenda, thank you :) I think you nailed it when you mentioned being comfortable.. I have definitely gotten into a comfortable routine and I know my serving sizes have crept up. I've done a 44 hour fast I don't know if I could do 5 days but I think I should probably try another longer fast to shake things up. You are doing amazing! Thank you everyone for your words of wisdom! I started yesterday dropping my window down to one hour. Gonna shake things up! :)