Anyone have any good oatmeal or steel cut oatmeal recipes?

I love oatmeal for breakfast and would love some easy recipes.

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Recipe? You mix oatmeal, water, salt and maybe milk, stir, heat and stir. I eat it with a pat of butter.
  • bingo_007
    bingo_007 Posts: 101 Member
    I add seasonal fruits berry mango Apple banana. And some dry stuff like nuts dry fruit or grated coconut. You can add on spices like cinnamon ginger chai cocoa powder. Milk yoghurt buttermilk whatever you feel like
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    I cook several servings of steel cut oats ahead of time and reheat it in the mornings. I cook it with 2% milk with Granny Smith apples and cinnamon, mace, and cardamom, plus salt and chopped walnuts. Then when I heat it I add peanut butter. I also eat a serving of protein such as eggs, pork, or cottage cheese alongside it.

It's also good savory with onions and chopped apples and garlic salt.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    I tried this recipe the other day and it was pretty good. I made a few insignificant changes like using milk instead of water because I like oatmeal better with milk, using splenda because I don't like stevia, and did 1.5 servings because that's how much I usually eat.

https://blog.livewell360.com/blog/tiramisu-oatmeal
  • ISweat4This
    ISweat4This Posts: 653 Member
    Steel cut oatmeal with peanut butter, raisins & flax seed
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    At the moment I'm obsessed with my patent pending PB&J porridge. 30g oats, 13g PB2, 200ml milk. Microwave (mine does it in about 2 mins 40), add 20g of jam. If I'm not cutting I'll have a larger portion.

I also like it with dried fruit, honey and cinnamon. Banana and honey.

And when the weather is too warm for hot breakfast I do overnight oats of all sorts. Usually some sort of fruit, Greek yoghurt/skyr and milk. Mango and coconut milk with the yoghurt is particularly delicious. I just use frozen fruit for this.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    A regular thing for me:
    80-100g oats
    12 oz water
    4-5 large eggs
    100g onion
    100g mushrooms
    2g turmeric
    2g black pepper

Mix oats, spices, onions and mushrooms, add water. Microwave three minutes. Beat eggs while oats are cooking, then stir in. Microwave another three minutes, shove in face.

Holy cow, is that a 1000 calorie breakfast? Oh to be active and male, heh. Although I am still weirded out by savoury oats so maybe I'm not too jealous.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Steel cut oats
    one egg
    chives
    salt

some cheese
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Savory oats are the best!
  • susanayt97
    susanayt97 Posts: 309 Member
    I do oats (40g), half an apple, cinnamon and water in the microwave for one minute. Then I'll add some milk so it's moist.
    Sometimes I'll do the same with blueberries.
    And my current favourite: oats (40g), half a tablespoon of coffee, a drop of vanilla extract and 120 ml of milk. If you don't like your coffee black, add some sugar :)
  • Sarah_Shapes_Up
    Sarah_Shapes_Up Posts: 76 Member
    - 26-40g oats
    - 85g riced cauliflower
    - cinnamon
    - dash of salt

Add water to cover oats. Microwave 3 min. Mix. Microwave 3 min. Add:

- sweetener
    - 96 egg whites
    - 16g peanut butter

Microwave 1 min. Mix. Microwave 1 min. Add:

- 140g berries

So Freakin Delicious and Voluminous!
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    I can't do savory oats. The texture is off putting for a savory dish. I also can't do eggs in oatmeal, too eggy. I might be doing something wrong...
  • ari2013102
    ari2013102 Posts: 8 Member
    I don't necessarily have a special recipe but one way I enjoy my steel cut oats are with crushed/sliced almonds, sliced banana, apples, cinnamon, and raisins. I make warm cinnamon apples and add it to my oatmeal. I also add honey (not sugar) and almond milk (can add regular milk if that's what you drink). I also sometimes put it in a glass and with just honey and cinnamon and add a lot of almond milk and sort of drink it, tastes pretty good! Make it on the stove though, as the microwave can pull a lot of the nutrients. Steel cut, IMO, is always the better way to go versus rolled oats.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    I do overnight oats with almond milk and some chia seeds (specifically, Holy Crap Cereal from Canada) then heat in the morning a stir in a tbs of salted caramel or cinnamon crunch protein powder.
  • supreo
    supreo Posts: 1 Member
    I just add a swirl of grade B maple syrup to my bob mills steel cut oats. sometimes add fresh blueberries and or chopped strawberries.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    A regular thing for me:
    80-100g oats
    12 oz water
    4-5 large eggs
    100g onion
    100g mushrooms
    2g turmeric
    2g black pepper

Mix oats, spices, onions and mushrooms, add water. Microwave three minutes. Beat eggs while oats are cooking, then stir in. Microwave another three minutes, shove in face.

Holy cow, is that a 1000 calorie breakfast? Oh to be active and male, heh. Although I am still weirded out by savoury oats so maybe I'm not too jealous.

Anywhere from 750-900, depending upon the amounts used. It's generally my post-post-lifting meal for when I first get to work. I tend to clock between 19-25,000 steps per day these days, and I lift 4x/week and recumbent cycle the other three.

It's not as fun as it sounds sometimes. Last bulk I was having to eat ~3175 kcals/day to gain 0.3 lbs./week at a weight of 175 near the end. My body has this nasty habit of wanting to move more with the more food that I eat. It's really gonna suck in a few years, when I'm back in the 200s. It's part of why I shake my head every time I hear someone talk about damaged metabolisms from significant fatloss.
  • OregonMother
    OregonMother Posts: 1,553 Member
    2 parts oats to 1 part greek yogurt. Cook oats as directed, then stir in yogurt. My new favorite way to eat oatmeal.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    edited August 2017
    I use my rice cooker for steel cut oats. 1 part oats, 3 parts water, 1/4 cup raisins, dash of cinnamon. I make a larger batch so this will last for 4 meals. Then add almonds and unsweetened applesauce to taste.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    I had a good one this morning. Better Oats plain steel cut oats with flax, and I added a tsp of chia and soaked overnight in almond milk. Heated this morning for 2 minutes and put a runny egg over top. Delish!