Protein Donuts using your favorite protein pancake mix

Replies

• Geocitiesuser
    Geocitiesuser Posts: 1,429 Member
    jenilla1 wrote: »
    I wish the donuts in all these posts tasted as good as they look. I've been hurt too many times ...

I feel that way about 90% of recipes on proteinpow, but these are pretty damn good for what they are. The trick is that they're really just donut shaped pancakes with an egg and some shortener to cake them up and sweeten them a bit more. Since the base is protein pancake mix the right ratios of baking powder, whey, and flour are taken care of.
  • DresdenSinn
    DresdenSinn Posts: 665 Member
    I don't even know what casein protein is... omg help me

Casein is a slow digesting protein derived from milk, Optimum Nutrition manufactures a lovely casein protein powder in a variety of flavors ; )

• pedermj2002
    pedermj2002 Posts: 180 Member
    I actually bought the ingredients I didn't have just to try these out. The results are rather pleasing. Sure, they're not store bought super sweet, but they are tasty, and they are filling. I think I'll be making these as part of my rotation of stuff to help me reduce total intake.

Thank you!
  • Geocitiesuser
    I actually bought the ingredients I didn't have just to try these out. The results are rather pleasing. Sure, they're not store bought super sweet, but they are tasty, and they are filling. I think I'll be making these as part of my rotation of stuff to help me reduce total intake.

Thank you!

Glad you like them! I've been eating a batch of donuts pretty much every weekend lately.

I've been playing with ingredients/amounts. My current recipe is

100g flapjacked pancake mix (or mix of choosing)
    0-20g flavoring (cocoa, splash of vanilla extract, whatever you want)
    50g apple sauce
    10g honey
    1 large egg
    Then splash in almond milk until you get the right consistency (somewhere between 1/4 cup and 1/2 cup I think)

Lately I ice them all with casein protein pudding. Mmmmm. half scoop of casein whey (any flavor, but must be casein) and whisk in almond milk until it is a pudding texture. Delicious.
  • chelllsea124
    chelllsea124 Posts: 336 Member
    I think I'm going to try honey next. Sounds yummy!
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Are people still making these doughnuts?
  • ElvenToad
    ElvenToad Posts: 644 Member
    edited August 2017
    Lounmoun wrote: »

I still make a batch of these every week for my husband. He has a weakness for donuts and he loves these! Plus he can eat 3 of them for 350 calories. His favorite so far is pumpkin with maple icing <3
  • Geocitiesuser
    I will never stop making them haha. They're not as sweet as a "real" donut, but if you want to add more sweetener you can. It's basically a fun way to cake up pancake mix and cook it in a donut mold.
  • Lounmoun
    ElvenToad wrote: »
    Lounmoun wrote: »

I still make a batch of these every week for my husband. He has a weakness for donuts and he loves these! Plus he can eat 3 of them for 350 calories. His favorite so far is pumpkin with maple icing <3

That sound really good!
  • Lounmoun
    I will never stop making them haha. They're not as sweet as a "real" donut, but if you want to add more sweetener you can. It's basically a fun way to cake up pancake mix and cook it in a donut mold.

Have the doughnut pans but not the protein pancake mix. I'll have to order some to try it out. :)
  • alltheweigh170
    alltheweigh170 Posts: 287 Member
    crazyravr wrote: »
    Anyone still making these?

Your post brought this to the top and I just ordered the donut mold. :-) So gotta try it out! Where are your pics for motivation @crazyravr ?
  • dawnmc2011
    dawnmc2011 Posts: 4 Member
    I just made these with Kodiak Cakes Pumpkin Mix. I made an icing with Walden Farms maple syrup and swerve. They are so good
  • smokinbluegrass
    smokinbluegrass Posts: 126 Member
    I just saw flapjacked mix for the first time, and it was in the bargain bin. Cinnamon apple. I happened to buy donut trays last weekend for a recipe that sucked. Thank heaven I found this! Making these in about an hour!
  • smokinbluegrass
    smokinbluegrass Posts: 126 Member
    edited October 2017

And????!?!?!

Well, they didn't suck. I used the recipe on the bag. I forgot I didn't have applesauce and was going to chop up some apple, but forgot. I did add a tablespoon of vanilla extract and 25g of my favorite vanilla whey isolate. So, they're a bit dry, but I'm dunking them, which helps. Next time, will make sure I have applesauce on hand. The recipe on the bag said it made 9, but it made 12 in my pans.
  • steelaxitute2127
    steelaxitute2127 Posts: 159 Member
    Omg, yes!!!! I'm loving this thread!!!
  • clicketykeys
    clicketykeys Posts: 6,568 Member
    If you make your own protein mix, is there a way to add that recipe as an ingredient in a baking recipe? Or can you only enter it as an item in a meal?
  • emcclure013
    emcclure013 Posts: 231 Member
    My creation from last night. As shown the 3 were under 100cal. Yes. 100cal for all 3

@crazyravr What did you use for your glaze? Those look amazing!
  • clicketykeys
    clicketykeys Posts: 6,568 Member
    If you make your own protein mix, is there a way to add that recipe as an ingredient in a baking recipe? Or can you only enter it as an item in a meal?

Add each ingredient manually to the recipe.

I'm ... ugh, I think the math would suck. Like... I use a recipe to make the mix that makes way more mix than I need for a set of donuts. Soooo then I think I would have to ... weigh the finished mix, use the number of ounces as the number of ser... no, that doesn't work.

Screw it, the macros on the DIY mix are close. I'm just using the brand version when I log it. :P
  • colorfulcoquette
    colorfulcoquette Posts: 94 Member
    My creation from last night. As shown the 3 were under 100cal. Yes. 100cal for all 3.

ch5z8cpwetu3.jpg

Deep fried donuts they are definitely not, but if you think of them as donut shaped cakes, AMAZING :)

Would you mind sharing your recipe please? They look amazing and 100 cal for all 3 is fantastic!

• rose2_0
    rose2_0 Posts: 150 Member
    Ugh. I have used my oven about 5 times in 10 years....I should try this though.