Anyone have any good oatmeal or steel cut oatmeal recipes?

Replies

• mikahdabbs
    mikahdabbs Posts: 13 Member

At the moment I'm obsessed with my patent pending PB&J porridge. 30g oats, 13g PB2, 200ml milk. Microwave (mine does it in about 2 mins 40), add 20g of jam. If I'm not cutting I'll have a larger portion.

I also like it with dried fruit, honey and cinnamon. Banana and honey.

And when the weather is too warm for hot breakfast I do overnight oats of all sorts. Usually some sort of fruit, Greek yoghurt/skyr and milk. Mango and coconut milk with the yoghurt is particularly delicious. I just use frozen fruit for this.

PB&J oats sounds amazing! I'm definitely going to have to give that a try!!
  • mikahdabbs
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    I use my rice cooker for steel cut oats. 1 part oats, 3 parts water, 1/4 cup raisins, dash of cinnamon. I make a larger batch so this will last for 4 meals. Then add almonds and unsweetened applesauce to taste.

Yum! I've never thought to add applesauce to my oats! That sounds really good.
  • mikahdabbs
    ari2013102 wrote: »
    I don't necessarily have a special recipe but one way I enjoy my steel cut oats are with crushed/sliced almonds, sliced banana, apples, cinnamon, and raisins. I make warm cinnamon apples and add it to my oatmeal. I also add honey (not sugar) and almond milk (can add regular milk if that's what you drink). I also sometimes put it in a glass and with just honey and cinnamon and add a lot of almond milk and sort of drink it, tastes pretty good! Make it on the stove though, as the microwave can pull a lot of the nutrients. Steel cut, IMO, is always the better way to go versus rolled oats.

Sounds really good! I'll have to give steel cut oats a try. I haven't ever had them.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    I can't do savory oats. The texture is off putting for a savory dish. I also can't do eggs in oatmeal, too eggy. I might be doing something wrong...

Texture-wise the only oats I like are steel cut, so that's what I'm using for savory oats. I just think of it as a grain and it seems right with savory foods, but I'm not that big a fan of sweet breakfasts, period, other than pancakes on occasion.
  • snowman8wa
    snowman8wa Posts: 12 Member
    I have 1 cup (dry) cooked, salt to taste, and then add 2 Tbsp raw walnuts chopped and 2 Tbsp of Ocean Spray Craisins.
    kcal Chol SatFat Carbs Fiber Sugars
    426 0 2 62 10 7

• CaliMomTeach
    CaliMomTeach Posts: 745 Member
    i just mash in one banana.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I can't do savory oats. The texture is off putting for a savory dish. I also can't do eggs in oatmeal, too eggy. I might be doing something wrong...

Texture-wise the only oats I like are steel cut, so that's what I'm using for savory oats. I just think of it as a grain and it seems right with savory foods, but I'm not that big a fan of sweet breakfasts, period, other than pancakes on occasion.

That explains it. Then it would be more like cracked wheat or barley than the typical porridge texture I know. I think I would like it that way if we had steel cut oats (we don't).
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

That explains it. Then it would be more like cracked wheat or barley than the typical porridge texture I know. I think I would like it that way if we had steel cut oats (we don't).

It is a lot like barley. In fact I use it in place of barley in a sausage dish, since I can't tolerate barley well since becoming diabetic. Polish sausage, onion, apple, cider vinegar, garlic, a little butter. Fry everything in butter until it browns, deglaze with the vinegar, then add the oats and water and cook.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Every couple of days I make a few jars for the fridge. Half cup oats, half cup almond milk. In the mornings I add what I feel like that day, but usually berries and sweetener.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    I like adding canned pumpkin, pumpkin pie spice, and some liquid splenda to oats when I'm cooking them in the microwave. I top it with some plain Greek yogurt when it's cooked.

I've also done savory oats with riced cauliflower cooked in with them, topped with poached eggs and cheese. I really like those as well.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member

For me, once I considered oats to be basically like rice, the world opened.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    At the moment I'm obsessed with my patent pending PB&J porridge. 30g oats, 13g PB2, 200ml milk. Microwave (mine does it in about 2 mins 40), add 20g of jam. If I'm not cutting I'll have a larger portion.

I also like it with dried fruit, honey and cinnamon. Banana and honey.

And when the weather is too warm for hot breakfast I do overnight oats of all sorts. Usually some sort of fruit, Greek yoghurt/skyr and milk. Mango and coconut milk with the yoghurt is particularly delicious. I just use frozen fruit for this.

Oh I adore PBJ in oats. I also love PB and SF maple syrup in oats.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member

For me, once I considered oats to be basically like rice, the world opened.

I can't do risotto but love rice pudding for the same reason :/
    This viscous and soft kind of texture is associated with sweet taste in my brain for some reason and it feels "wrong" in savory dishes.
  • sympha01
    sympha01 Posts: 942 Member
    Brown diced bacon in the pot before adding the oats. Remove the bacon (and pour off the grease). Add oats and black pepper and stir an egg into the water to cook. Serve with parm cheese and peas and bacon on top. Poached eggs bonus. Nice proteiny breakfast.

Or: Cook plain oats in water with sliced mushrooms, bell pepper. Stir in diced pepperoni and shredded mozzarella and a little pizza sauce. Pizza oats. Optional poached egg on top.

Savory oats forever.
  • sugarstrawberries
    sugarstrawberries Posts: 140 Member
    I've been wondering how to do savory oats so thanks everyone!
  • KickboxFanatic
    KickboxFanatic Posts: 184 Member
    The budgetbytes.com website has a bunch of baked oatmeal recipes that are fabulous. I made the pumpkin pie one for this week, eat it cold like cereal in milk. I made the apple pie one last week and ate it warm with frozen yogurt. The funky monkey is probably my favorite though.
  • eyer0ll
    eyer0ll Posts: 313 Member
    50 g cooked oats
    20 g almonds
    30ish g Greek yogurt (I use full-fat, because low-fat=bleccch)
    100ish g apple or banana

Keeps me full for hours.
  • wearmi1
    wearmi1 Posts: 291 Member
    1/3 cup oats
    1/2 cup unsweetened vanilla cashew milk
    2 TBLS chocolate PB2
    refrigerate overnight
    eat in the morning with fresh banana

doesn't get any easier!
  • SaraydaB
    SaraydaB Posts: 120 Member
    My every morning breakfast:
    1/2 cup steel cut oatmeal
    1 cup almond milk
    1 tbsp. cinnamon
    1 tbsp. of chia
    1 Tbsp of natural peanut butter on top

I made them overnight (no cooking required) It taste great and it makes you feel full
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    I rotate oatmeal flavors, but in the fall I have pumpkin "fixin's" ready.

Pumpkin steel cut oats - I take a can of pumpkin, mix in add Truvia and cinnamon (ginger & cloves if desired). Then split it between 6 of those tiny zip-lock plastic containers and freeze. I make my oats in a crockpot using 1/2 water and 1/2 milk (more protein). Store in the fridge. When I want pumpkin oatmeal I take out a zip-lock container the night before. Then I mix the thawed pumpkin mixture into the pre-cooked oats.....and warm. A splash of Coffee Mate Pumpkin Spice creamer is yummy (but optional).