Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

What are your unpopular opinions about health / fitness?

Replies

• mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,937 Member
    ...also, trying to lift one's breasts to "deduct " them from one's weight is hard to do. It involves a towel rack and some scale-dancing and it looks utterly ridiculous.

A friend told me. :neutral:

Wouldn't using a kitchen scale while seated be more useful?

Or more comfortable at least.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,937 Member
    mmapags wrote: »
    ...also, trying to lift one's breasts to "deduct " them from one's weight is hard to do. It involves a towel rack and some scale-dancing and it looks utterly ridiculous.

Bwaaahahaha!! You win the internet!! One of the greatest post evah!

I just get the hubster to stand behind me and provide *ahem* support. He doesn't mind.

Lol, yeah i'm guessing he doesn't..... ;)
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,953 Member
    earlnabby wrote: »
    mmapags wrote: »

Bwaaahahaha!! You win the internet!! One of the greatest post evah!

I just get the hubster to stand behind me and provide *ahem* support. He doesn't mind.

Better than one of my cats stepping on the scale while I am weighing and adding a portion of his 13 lb

Yeah, I had one of mine do that the other day! Little jerk...
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Yeah, I had one of mine do that the other day! Little jerk...

reminds me of one of the reasons why my weight got away from me in my 40's. i didn't have a scale, but any time i took the cat to the vet i'd wait for that 'the doctor will be right in' moment and then hop on their giant-dog scale just to see what i weighed.

then she died, and i kind of lost track of my weight.
  • Sp1tfire
    Sp1tfire Posts: 1,120 Member
    I hate food waste due to over-purchasing at the grocery store, especially since my family members have a tendency to over-purchase. I've literally been at the store with him and say "We really only need 2 lbs" and he says "OH BUT ITS GREAT LEFTOVERS" then he doesn't touch the leftovers all week because he's 'tired of it' , they go bad, and I throw it all out to the chickens. The cycle continues.

I don't mind situations like a restaurants before a movie, or in cases where leftovers are really miniscule or impractical to save.
  • jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,216 Member
    Ruatine wrote: »
    Anon2018 wrote: »
    When overweight people claim "I'm trying to eat 1500 calories but I'm just omg so full at 1100" on MFP I simply don't believe me. There's no way you became obese or overweight because you feel like you're stuffing your face on 1100-1300 calories

This usually has to do with the person rapidly and radically changing the way they were eating. They stop eating a diet of unsatiating, calorie-dense foods and fill their diet with a lot of fresh veggies/fruit/whole foods that are much more nutrient dense and filling. The feeling doesn't last long, but it is real.

I'm not sure how "nutrient dense" a pound of Kale is but I do agree it is probably very filling. lol
  • Ruatine
    Ruatine Posts: 3,424 Member
    jseams1234 wrote: »
    When overweight people claim "I'm trying to eat 1500 calories but I'm just omg so full at 1100" on MFP I simply don't believe me. There's no way you became obese or overweight because you feel like you're stuffing your face on 1100-1300 calories

This usually has to do with the person rapidly and radically changing the way they were eating. They stop eating a diet of unsatiating, calorie-dense foods and fill their diet with a lot of fresh veggies/fruit/whole foods that are much more nutrient dense and filling. The feeling doesn't last long, but it is real.

I'm not sure how "nutrient dense" a pound of Kale is but I do agree it is probably very filling. lol

Well, hopefully people aren't trying to eat a pound of kale.... :sick: but, I guess you never know. People do weird *kitten*.
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member

Well, hopefully people aren't trying to eat a pound of kale.... :sick: but, I guess you never know. People do weird *kitten*.

That is the goal for many people from what I've seen. The more vegetables the better. The more volume of food for the least amount of calories the better.

It actually took a pretty big leap of faith to reject that dieter mentality and to focus on high calorie, nourishing foods that were satiating instead of the eat-more-for-less-calories idea that's prevalent.
  • timeisfiction
    timeisfiction Posts: 25 Member
    I believe that if you are going to take a supplement for something specific, you should also be putting in all of the work behind the scenes to use it as a benefit and not a crutch. Example: people taking exogenous ketone supplements when they don't even eat a keto diet (and other situations similar).
  • jasummers76
    jasummers76 Posts: 225 Member
    I think if done correctly with a ethical doctor gastric surgery and prescription diet pills are a wonderful tool. With that being said if your doctor is not doing regular blood work, weighing you, having you see a nutrionist, and encourageing a more active lifestyle. I am against it. There are Diet Doctors around here who only prescribe pills and do nothing more, they over charge for meds and do not ask for blood work to see if there could be a underlying health issue. They also will just keep writing prescriptions for longer than the recommended time which is usually a few months.
  • Ruatine
    Ruatine Posts: 3,424 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

That is the goal for many people from what I've seen. The more vegetables the better. The more volume of food for the least amount of calories the better.

It actually took a pretty big leap of faith to reject that dieter mentality and to focus on high calorie, nourishing foods that were satiating instead of the eat-more-for-less-calories idea that's prevalent.

Not necessarily a "dieter mentality" we all need to reject.

I just like veggies very, very much - not a new thing - and find them very satiating. I think some people, via changing what they eat to be healthier & more satiating to them while calorie-counting, discover that they really like them, too.

Bonus: They're good for us, as well as delicious.

I don't understand how some people "hate all vegetables": they're so diverse. But I concede that life is too short to eat food that doesn't taste good. Everyone needs to find their personal balance.

Within the context of an overall balanced diet, what any individual enjoys and finds satiating is just a personal preference, not a moral success/failing.

So agree with this!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,721 Member
    <curmudgeon mode>
    I'm not saying it's common, but I believe it's possible to lose weight with MFP, without reading comprehension, logic, or the ability to do arithmetic (let alone algebra or statistics). May be harder, though . . especially the arithmetic.
    </curmudgeon>

This is explicitly not in response to any particular post on this or any other thread. Its just an old crank's opinion.
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

Not necessarily a "dieter mentality" we all need to reject.

Of course not - nothing applies to everyone. But for me, focusing on what foods I could eat for low or no calories was born from calorie counting and following the conventional eat-this-not-that type of advice. That sort of thinking was wrongheaded, ultimately counter productive and a dieting mentality I needed to move beyond to be successful.
This discussion has been closed.