Walking is exercise

Hi guys, trying to lose 5 kilos,counting calories and......Walking thru my house for one hour each day...
Does that count as exercise?
I try to walk fast and imitate the treadmill..

Am I wasting my time?

Replies

• kimdoanna2015
    kimdoanna2015 Posts: 1 Member
    Hi guys, trying to lose 5 kilos,counting calories and......Walking thru my house for one hour each day...

Am I wasting my time?
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Why not walk outside instead?

Great for the body and the mind, if you have your fore arms bare you'll get enough vitamin D as well
  • choppie70
    choppie70 Posts: 544 Member
    When I first started I did Leslie Sansone walking videos and then moved on to the Jessica Smith walking videos.
  • farmgirlco
    farmgirlco Posts: 118 Member
    choppie70 wrote: »
    When I first started I did Leslie Sansone walking videos and then moved on to the Jessica Smith walking videos.

What are Jessica smith videos like??
  • whitpauly
    whitpauly Posts: 1,483 Member
    I do the same! A very quick pace enough to get my heart rate up for one to two hours a day,I live in Vegas and its too darn hot to walk for that length outside, I've lost 10 lbs this way
  • mabearof6
    mabearof6 Posts: 684 Member
    You are up and moving! That is what matters!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited August 2017
    farmgirlco wrote: »
    choppie70 wrote: »

What are Jessica smith videos like??

I like both Leslie and Jessica.....but check out Jessica Smith TV on YouTube. Lots of freebies.
    http://jessicasmithtv.com/videos/walking-workouts/

https://www.youtube.com/user/walkathomemedia
  • emcclure013
    emcclure013 Posts: 231 Member
    The only purposeful exercise I do is walking. I started at about a mile a day, now up to about 3 and I'm down almost 25lbs. Anything you do that's not sitting around makes a difference!
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    The only purposeful exercise I do is walking. I started at about a mile a day, now up to about 3 and I'm down almost 25lbs. Anything you do that's not sitting around makes a difference!

This. All i do is walking :p Gives you great legs and something productive to do to feel beter/helps with cravings
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Yes! I lost 80+ pounds mainly walking and have kept all of the weight off for years. I also do Leslie Sansone videos. Both helps me to keep fit and it's easy to do, but effective.

I just make sure I am walking fast enough to get my heart rate up and keep it sustained. Now that I'm really fit I have to incorporate short bursts of running intervals sometimes, but I love my power walks and it's a great workout for me!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Moving is better than not moving, but it's hard for most of us to get a meaningful amount walking inside our house. I would encourage to also go outside for at least one longer walk each day. Start with 5-10 minutes, whatever you can handle, and work up to at least 30 minutes over a couple of months. It's so beneficial!
  • kea9f
    kea9f Posts: 27 Member
    I used to do that but no lie, I get kind of dizzy doing all those laps. I recently got a cheap stationary exercise bike on amazon instead - it was like $130 I think, free shipping, and it folds up to go out of the way. It's easier and more fun than laps for me, because I can catch up on TV while I do it :)
  • rbiss
    rbiss Posts: 422 Member
    Walking is great but it needs to get your heart rate up. If you can do that in your house, then it counts as exercise. Also try walking stairs, as that really gets the heart rate up.
  • VeronicaA76
    VeronicaA76 Posts: 1,116 Member

Am I wasting my time?

Yes. Moving is exercize. That includes walking.
  • Silentpadna
    Silentpadna Posts: 1,306 Member
    edited August 2017
    never mind
  • IsabeausRose
    IsabeausRose Posts: 129 Member
    I walk, but 6 miles a day at 3 mph. And I do it outside. I had to work my way up to it but I just love the fresh air and catching the view of the sunrise each morning. I wouldn't miss it for the world!