Need Non-Stinky soup (NSS) recipes

Options
bigmanatee
bigmanatee Posts: 65 Member
Lost weight with the cabbage soup which I loved. Problem was that my wife hated the smell of the soup and would walk in the house and give me the evil eye when I was cooking it. I did consider losing a 105 lbs stat by kicking her out but that is not an option. Anyone have any non stinky soup recipes? Looking for low calorie soups to fill me up from a volumetrics standpoint.

Replies

• skymningen
    skymningen Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    Basically... any non-cabbage, non-cream/cheese soup? Carrot soup, tomato soup, broth with cut vegetables and so on.
  • dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Lentil or bean based soups are very filling and can be lower calorie.
    Make vegetable soup without cabbage.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
  • cat_lady77
    cat_lady77 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Cook outside? :D Might be a fun adventure! Reheating leftovers might be a different story...
  • French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    Minestrone: go light on the pasta, beans and potatoes, and heavier on lower-cal veggies like spinach, summer squash and zuchinni: http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2016/09/the-best-minestrone-soup-recipe.html
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Just throw some vegetables and spices in a pot of hot water.
  • junodog1
    junodog1 Posts: 4,792 Member
    Options
    Not wild about the name or the web site but this is a tasty soup recipe

fat-flush-soup-recipe/
  • kcwyo
    kcwyo Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    https://natashaskitchen.com/2014/12/01/creamy-sweet-potato-coconut-soup-recipe/

Sweet potato coconut soup! It's awesome! Kinda sweet, kinda salty. Use light coconut milk if you are worried about the calories.
  • SLLeask
    SLLeask Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Chop up a load of pumpkin and/ or butternut squash, some carrot and onion, chillies if you like them (or any combination of those ingredients or other veggies) throw in some garlic. Roast, add stock and blend. Mmmmm. Last night I made this and then added some shredded chicken breast and some Tabasco sauce and it was so good and filling and pretty low calorie as it's just veggies and chicken breast...
  • bigmanatee
    Options
    Thanks to all that replied! I plan to get to work on it today. Have a great day everyone :)
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    The other day. I nuked a cup each of frozen chicken stock and frozen mixed veg until they were heated through and stirred in a couple ounces of herb & garlic chevre. Yummy!!!

If you like a lot of soup, make chicken or turkey stock. I just save bones, skin, etc., raw or cooked, even chewed on, in a gallon bag in the freezer next to another bag holding parsley stems. When the chicken bag is full, I'll throw the lump of frozen stuff into a pot, cover with water, add a couple bunches of parsley stems, a few bay leaves and a bunch of pepper corns and throw it in a 250F oven for several hours, covered. After 2 or 3 hours, it should taste more of chicken than of water. If it still tastes watery, I remove the cover and let it boil down for an hour or two more. I do it in the oven so I don't have to watch it on top of the stove.

I bought a sleeve of 40 1-cup deli containers for less than $15 so I can store measured cups easily. They're stackable and dishwasher safe so I keep reusing them. Here's a pick of my remaining stock of chicken broth -- which is getting low. I better make some more!

hs17aqcap6s5.jpg
  • bigmanatee
    Options
    Great ideas!
  • smh_cliff
    smh_cliff Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I did a version of this (didn't bake the cauli first, just threw it all in a soup maker) the other day and it was lovely.
    http://www.lulabellaskitchen.com/search?q=spiced+cauliflower

I did a BNS and carrot to use up the rest of the carrots too.
  • OnthatStuff
    OnthatStuff Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Whether you consider beans good for your heart or a the magical fruit, you can't go wrong with them.
  • zingeber
    zingeber Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    12 Months of Monastery Soups is probably my most used cookbook! So many wonderful soups. A few incredibly rich treats but most are quite healthy, nourishing, and filling. If you really like soups and find them helpful for your weight loss (I certainly do) you might consider investing in it
  • AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »

I made this over the weekend and it was delicious. My husband (and I) thank you for sharing!
  • jessicagreen1828
    jessicagreen1828 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Yep, what Karla24687 said! Cooking outside would help. Sometimes if I dont want my whole house to smell like onions and roast, I'll put my slow cooker on the porch or in the garage. You might have to get a portable cook-top, depending on what you're making. You can still eat cabbage! Or try having it raw/shredded salad style? Not as stinky! I love cabbage!