Scuba class!

2»

Replies

• rbiss
    rbiss Posts: 422 Member
    enyagoboom wrote: »

I am going to sign up for six private swim lessons just to get my swimming better generally. I expend way way way too much energy swimming in an awful way and I'd really like to get stronger in this area, especially if I'm going to go further than just a scuba class. Next scuba class is tomorrow night and my open water cert is the second weekend of october at Dutch Springs, PA, so that should be fun.

Now I just need to get decent at equalizing and clearing my mask :)

I did my certification in Dutch Springs. It's super clear there but a little cold. Definitely wear a warm wetsuit!
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member

Slowing your descent can make equalizing easier (like most things it's practice, practice, practice) and becomes second nature after a while. If you don't mind your family thinking you're a little odd you can practice clearing your mask in the bathtub......

BEST IDEA EVER. I have an awesome bathtub. I bet the cats will be confused.

i think that would be really awkward because its such a small space and the position you'd have to be in to make it even possible.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    So I just wanted to give a quick update - I had my makeup class last night. It was good overall; we went through setting up our gear and practiced it, then put it away and did our fitness test which is the 200 yard swim and 10 minute tread.

I knew I was going to have a tough time with the swim itself; I can swim but it ain't pretty. I was the slowest one there and everyone was done when I was half way through my second of 4 laps. But, I finished. the treading water was a little easier, but it was still tough. Thankfully I never, ever have to do that test again for this class.

I am going to sign up for six private swim lessons just to get my swimming better generally. I expend way way way too much energy swimming in an awful way and I'd really like to get stronger in this area, especially if I'm going to go further than just a scuba class. Next scuba class is tomorrow night and my open water cert is the second weekend of october at Dutch Springs, PA, so that should be fun.

Learn to tread water with the rotary kick if you're still using a freestyle kick. It saves a ton of energy.
  • enyagoboom
    enyagoboom Posts: 377 Member
    SonyaCele wrote: »

i think that would be really awkward because its such a small space and the position you'd have to be in to make it even possible.

Well we will see I guess :) We haven't even touched masks yet, I think we might do it tomorrow night. Maybe I will surprise myself and totally be a natural at this. hahaha.
    DX2JX2 wrote: »
    Learn to tread water with the rotary kick if you're still using a freestyle kick. It saves a ton of energy.
    I will look this up! I don't even know what I do - I was never trained or had lessons, just kind of thrown into the lake and told to swim.

• SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    SonyaCele wrote: »

Well we will see I guess :) We haven't even touched masks yet, I think we might do it tomorrow night. Maybe I will surprise myself and totally be a natural at this. hahaha.
    DX2JX2 wrote: »
    I will look this up! I don't even know what I do - I was never trained or had lessons, just kind of thrown into the lake and told to swim.

its actually very very easy to clear your mask, you'll see. Don't over stress it to the point of anxiety. And its something you'll have to do frequently when diving, it will become second nature.