Ladies Post! Serious question

Ladies, How do you deal with the cravings that come along when Aunt Flo visits? This week has been so challenging for me and my food choices. I've done good most of the day but by 5:30 my cravings kick in overtime. This is the only time I have trouble. Any suggestions??

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    I allow myself some extra calories to eat something I really want. I usually stick to about 200 extra (which is around what a candy bar or a nice bowl of ice cream is).
  • kimothy38
    kimothy38 Posts: 840 Member
    I gave in and had cheesecake after dinner last night, felt yuck afterwards, then this morning it was like 'well hello, that's the reason'. Sometimes you just need a bit of whatever it is you fancy.
  • susanayt97
    susanayt97 Posts: 309 Member
    This month was awful, worst than usual, so I had loads of chocolate (over 500 calories...). And I regret it, because it didn't even feel that well. Not doing this ever again! Still figuring what how I should handle it...
  • VirtualMellie
    VirtualMellie Posts: 68 Member
    Fiber one brownies and yogurt have saved me during that time.. Also halo top ice-cream lol I always budget my calories for something sweet or salty :)
  • Katiebear_81
    Katiebear_81 Posts: 719 Member
    I eat at maintenance if I need to allow myself to indulge some cravings.
  • JillPleaz
    JillPleaz Posts: 28 Member
    At craving o'clock drink a large glass of water. Then have what your craving but just don't go over board.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    I ate what I wanted, within reason, and knew that when my period started I'd have NO appetite. And I didn't force myself to eat. I "went with the flo" as it were.
  • SnobbyFitness
    SnobbyFitness Posts: 11 Member
    You ladies are so amazing!!! Thank you so much!! I really like the idea of drinking the water when I start craving and then having a little something. I've been allowing myself to indulge a little each day but I'm trying not to mess up so I don't have a lot of damage to undo next week.
  • fsemenova09
    fsemenova09 Posts: 2 Member
    Try low calorie deserts. There are super easy and tasty recipes (I tries a mug cake the other day that has very little calories). It helps during regular days too, not only with aunt's visits)))
  • zjpq
    zjpq Posts: 198 Member
    I exercise for extra cals, work treats into my day (usually at the end so I look forward to it and don't go on a binge after) and/or eat at maintenance. Water, gum and brushing teeth can help with neeeeeddinngg to eat. Have managed to lose weight the last two months during that time and was shocked!
  • SnobbyFitness
    Great advice!! Thanks ladies!!!
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    I fast pretty long during the day so I can get a decent amount of calories in at night, when I'm alone and can put food in my face in private.
  • GemstoneofHeart
    GemstoneofHeart Posts: 865 Member
    I eat at maintenance if I need to allow myself to indulge some cravings.

Same. It's worth it to keep myself sane.
  • kms375
    kms375 Posts: 19 Member
    I always work in something sweet to my day. Lately I have been going for halotop so I have can my sweet and binge a little without as much guilt
  • FeelingAlive
    FeelingAlive Posts: 117 Member
    I'm on the pill and that has reduced my pms symptoms greatly, but I still experience cravings.

I tend to save my fruit and yogurt (which I consider my daily treat) for after dinner, and therefore make a fruit salad. It's sweet, it's filling, and it's healthy. If you have calories to spare add muesli for extra texture.

Another treat would be to freeze my yogurt. It's like a less sweet ice cream.
    When neither of these things work I'd prepare jelly and custard. You can choose how many sugar you add to the custard.

Sometimes you just need that chocolate. Don't buy a large one, because you will be tempted. Give in to the cravings by eating moderately. Two weeks ago I felt like an emotional mess and I ate a piece of lemon meringue. I am still feeling good ever since.
  • SnobbyFitness
    Awesome Ideas!!! Thanks ladies. My cravings don't usually hit until during that pesky visit. Prior to that I have the super emotional mess set it. Lucky for me it's almost over for this month.