Amflautist's accountability thread

Replies

• katjustkat
    katjustkat Posts: 754 Member
    Lots of good info thank you for sharing; I'll watch the video tonight. So great to have a plan and be informed before hand...makes it all the more bearable. Sounds like you have a good plan and I may try it at some point if I'm alone. I like the cutting out the grains and sugar after the fast. Much success to you.
  • minigrrll
    minigrrll Posts: 1,590 Member
    I'm not sure if I've mentioned it to you before, but have you tried Turmeric?

Since I have been taking it regularly (we make our own pills from grocery store turmeric and pepper) my left hip OA pain has all but disappeared. I can walk forever (I do around 16000 steps on most days) and the only time it starts hurting again is when I forget to take the turmeric. It's honestly like night and day from before I started taking it - I only was diagnosed in mid-June and started right away with the pills. Since then I haven't had a single time when I've been walking and had to stop because of sharp pains. It's seriously amazing to me.

I think the fasting plus the turmeric has worked wonders. (and I have to add a caveat that I'm not into "alternative" stuff, I need science to back stuff up).

Also, it doesn't seem to be something that needs time to work - it works right away - like in 30 minutes type thing. I take 4 pills in the morning and 4 at night and sometimes 2 at lunch (my pills are 00 so contain about 800 mg/pill). Might be overdosing, who knows! I figure it's just turmeric, can't be too bad!

(Turmeric is high in oxalates so if you are prone to kidney stones, maybe not the best idea - though my partner is prone to kidney stones and still takes it and it hasn't caused an issue... yet..).
  • mistymeadows2005
    mistymeadows2005 Posts: 3,737 Member
    I'm intrigued to listen to this on my way home from work! I love this kinda stuff :)
  • amflautist
    amflautist Posts: 941 Member
    edited August 2017
    minigrrll wrote: »
    I'm not sure if I've mentioned it to you before, but have you tried Turmeric?

Since I have been taking it regularly (we make our own pills from grocery store turmeric and pepper) my left hip OA pain has all but disappeared. I can walk forever (I do around 16000 steps on most days) and the only time it starts hurting again is when I forget to take the turmeric. It's honestly like night and day from before I started taking it - I only was diagnosed in mid-June and started right away with the pills. Since then I haven't had a single time when I've been walking and had to stop because of sharp pains. It's seriously amazing to me.

I think the fasting plus the turmeric has worked wonders. (and I have to add a caveat that I'm not into "alternative" stuff, I need science to back stuff up).

Also, it doesn't seem to be something that needs time to work - it works right away - like in 30 minutes type thing. I take 4 pills in the morning and 4 at night and sometimes 2 at lunch (my pills are 00 so contain about 800 mg/pill). Might be overdosing, who knows! I figure it's just turmeric, can't be too bad!

(Turmeric is high in oxalates so if you are prone to kidney stones, maybe not the best idea - though my partner is prone to kidney stones and still takes it and it hasn't caused an issue... yet..).

I looked for research studies on turmeric. Found this meta-analysis done at NIH. Conclusion was that turmeric was effective for pain relief and lower inflammation, as was ibuprofen. Turmeric had lots of side effects and did nothing to actually heal the arthritis. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5003001/

I will think about using turmeric. Thank you.

• minigrrll
    amflautist wrote: »
    I looked for research studies on turmeric. Found this meta-analysis done at NIH. Conclusion was that turmeric was effective for pain relief and lower inflammation, as was ibuprofen. Turmeric had lots of side effects and did nothing to actually heal the arthritis. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5003001/

I will think about using turmeric. Thank you.

Do you mean that ibuprofen had lots of side effects, or did Turmeric really have lots - quickly looking at that analysis (which I think I read a few weeks ago - I have terrible retention!) I think it's the ibuprofen with the side effects, not the Turmeric.

The best my Dr could do was recommend I dose myself up with Panadol Osteo (paracetemol = acetaminophen = Tylenol) and I was like hell no, that is NOT happening. (And to not stop exercising whatever I do!)
  • amflautist
    Totally agree with you. I avoid both ibuprofen and acetaminophen. It's good to know that there is a natural substance that will do the job. Thank you. I didn't know that before.
  • amflautist
    1 week Knee fassssst*
    OMAD Wed 8/30 ... Last meal 5PM
    FD1 Thurs 8/31 ... 195.0
    FD2 Fri 9/1 ...
    FD3 Sat 9/2 ...
    FD4 Sun 9/3 ...
    FD5 Mon 9/4 ...
    FD6 Tues 9/5 ...
    FD7 Wed 9/6
    OMAD Thurs 9/7 - Sunday 9/10
    9/11 On my way to Spain.

I found a very helpful book that explains the possibilities for healing cartilage in knees. Today I am starting my own knee journal, which will attempt to quantify the progress and setbacks I incur during the next year, in a manner similar to the author of the book I am reading.
  • wsandy8512
    wsandy8512 Posts: 1,897 Member
    Hopefully you'll have some more relief this week before your Spain trip. Extra positive thoughts sent your way! :)
  • minigrrll
    amflautist wrote: »
    1 week Knee fassssst*
    FD1 Thurs 8/31 ... 195.0
    FD2 Fri 9/1 ...
    FD3 Sat 9/2 ...
    FD4 Sun 9/3 ...
    FD5 Mon 9/4 ...
    FD6 Tues 9/5 ...
    FD7 Wed 9/6
    9/11 On my way to Spain.

I found a very helpful book that explains the possibilities for healing cartilage in knees. Today I am starting my own knee journal, which will attempt to quantify the progress and setbacks I incur during the next year, in a manner similar to the author of the book I am reading.

Interesting - would you mind sharing the name of the book and the author?
  • amflautist
    Saving My Knees by Richard Bedard
  • blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    Don't eat sugar. I think it is inflamatory.
  • amflautist
    1 week Knee fassssst*
    FD1 Thurs 8/31 . 195.0
    FD2 Fri 9/1 ........ 192.4 ... -2.6
    FD3 Sat 9/2 ...
    FD4 Sun 9/3 ...
    FD5 Mon 9/4 ...
    FD6 Tues 9/5 ...
    FD7 Wed 9/6
    9/11 On my way to Spain.

• amflautist
    blambo61 wrote: »
    Don't eat sugar. I think it is inflamatory.

Sugar inflammatory. I agree.
  • wsandy8512
    wsandy8512 Posts: 1,897 Member
    Nice loss!
  • katjustkat
    huge loss! Congrats! You're doing the body good :)
  • Brendalea69
    Brendalea69 Posts: 3,863 Member
    Nice!!!
  • amflautist
    1 week Knee fassssst*
    FD1 Thurs 8/31 . 195.0
    FD3 Sat 9/2 ....... 191.2 ... -1.2
    FD4 Sun 9/3 ...
    FD5 Mon 9/4 ...
    FD6 Tues 9/5 ...
    FD7 Wed 9/6
    9/11 On my way to Spain.
  • katjustkat
    Weigh to go! You're body is healing itself and is thanking you. Such a great reward! Wishing you clarity and peace.
  • amflautist
    1 week Knee fassssst*
    FD1 Thurs 8/31 . 195.0
    FD3 Sat 9/2 ....... 191.2 ... -1.2
    FD4 Sun 9/3 ...... 190.4 ... -0.8
    FD5 Mon 9/4 ...
    FD6 Tues 9/5 ...
    FD7 Wed 9/6
    9/11 On my way to Spain.
  • jvcinv
    jvcinv Posts: 504 Member
    Great job, this takes a lot of determination to do what you're doing.