Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

What are your unpopular opinions about health / fitness?

Replies

• Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    edited August 2017

LOL Gladly but the US has already performed the DEFINITIVE study lasting several decades with tens of millions of participants...
    I will acknowledge up front that correlation does not prove causation... But.
    From the time the US Food Guide came out turning the wisdom of lifetimes (eat meat and vegetables and supplement with a little starch 'cause it's cheap calories... remember you feed prisoners bread and water, or your poor bread and beer) completely upside down with carbs as the majority on the base of a "food pyramid" Obesity and diabetes have gone up in a logarithmic scale every year.
    "Adult Onset Diabetes" was NEVER (yes I'm using an absolute) seen In ANYONE under 25 before this. Non-alcoholic fatty liver disease had also NEVER been seen in a child.
    Both of these conditions are now common. There is a PERFECT 1:1 correlation.
    Not proof? Sure, the same way there was no "proof" that smoking was harmful in the 70s.
    I can also just look in a mirror or at my Dexa history.
    The thermogenic effect of food has also shown numerous times that while carbs and protein each provide 4 calories per gram, protein requires energy expenditure to process.

Do you know what makes up most of the calories in vegetables? Hint: it's neither fat nor protein.

And guess what also happened at the same time as any food guidelines came out? A never before in history seen abundance of food for virtually everyone in society from the poorest to the richest alongside the steady decline of physical jobs.

Not to speak of the fact that the people never actually followed the guidelines to begin with (which btw. called for lots of vegetables and a decent amount of protein...).

And smoking was considered a health hazard for a very long time, you're parroting a bunch of myths here.

And lastly the TEF of foods is so small it's basically insignificant. It's 7 calories per 10% of protein per 1000 calories eaten, i.e. if you eat 2000 calories and eat a whopping 200 grams of protein (more than enough for any bodybuilder) = 40% of your calories vs. eating 50 grams of protein (absolute minimum recommendation) = 10% of your calories that's 7 calories * 2 * 3 = 42 extra calories. Big deal.

So tl;dr: not a single thing you just said was true.

BTW. that's 1:1 exactly the same arguments I've seen countless times repeated, do you guys get a pamphlet somewhere?

1) Food was both abundant and cheap in North America throughout the 1950s and 1960s
    2) Diabetes was not common, and most instances were genetic conditions
    3) No case of non alcoholic fatty liver disease had ever been recorded in anyone under 50
    4) No case of type 2 diabetes had ever been recorded in a child (thus the no longer valid name "Adult Onset Diabetes")

I acknowledge your inference that vegetables are carbs... and submit that I don't think a vegetarian lifestyle is healthy or natural for humans, we don't have have hooves. :-)

Denial is not just a river in Northern Africa. It's also one of the reasons for record breaking storms, rising sea levels, the obesity epidemic, and childhood diabetes.
    Until recently it was also the reason the Flintstones and Buggs Bunny were allowed to advertise cigarettes.

The mainstream is just beginning to acknowledge that more fat and less carbs than have been recommended for decades are far healthier. (the CBC even recently publicized a large, peer reviewed study promoting that conclusion)

Mark my words.
    Carbs should be the smallest of your macros. (fats and protein are what you evolved over millions of years to run on)

Climate change is scientific fact, not a theory (and human activity is its primary cause)

I can go to the grocery store tomorrow and fill my cart with foods comprised of any macros mix I choose, and this has generally been the case in the US for the past 100 years; almost all of those poor health conditions are entirely the result of bad eating habits created by affluence and the ease of availability of high carb / sugar / sodium / saturated foods through our industrialized food supply. I fail to see what climate change has had to do with any “first world” food choices.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    edited August 2017
    obesity is likely a multi-factorial issue.
    And this is really all we know...
    Attempts to explain it by saying it comes down to one factor and one factor only are foolish and wrong-headed.

Indeed...

• jamesakrobinson
    jamesakrobinson Posts: 2,149 Member
    wmd1979 wrote: »
    @jamesakrobinson Koalas and rabbits don't have hooves either and they're herbivores. ;)

LMAO OK
    I was just trying to illustrate a point with a bit of levity.

Too many people here seem to think in absolutes. My point has never been that my carnivorous preference is necessarily the "best" way to eat for everyone, nor that it is the only way to get lean. Different people have different metabolisms, and that is almost certainly also influenced by genetics too... where your ancestors evolved (ergo what available foods allowed them the opportunity to thrive and reproduce) and what kind and how much activity you do are huge factors too.

Marathon runners and strength athletes have different needs... and so people don't take those as absolute too... also everything in between or even being sedentary. (in which case I think less calories are a good idea)

My most important point is less about the evils of carbs and much more about the importance of fat!

Demonizing fat is the giant disservice that the US FDA did in the 1970s. That was the biggest instigating factor in starting the obesity and diabetes epidemic that has since begun to spread around the world.
    @jamesakrobinson Koalas and rabbits don't have hooves either and they're herbivores. ;)

LMAO OK

Too many people here seem to think in absolutes. My point has never been that my carnivorous preference is necessarily the "best" way to eat for everyone, nor that it is the only way to get lean. Different people have different metabolisms, and that is almost certainly also influenced by genetics too... where your ancestors evolved (ergo what available foods allowed them the opportunity to thrive and reproduce) and what kind and how much activity you do are huge factors too.

Marathon runners and strength athletes have different needs... and so people don't take those as absolute too... also everything in between or even being sedentary. (in which case I think less calories are a good idea)

My most important point is less about the evils of carbs and much more about the importance of fat!

Demonizing fat is the giant disservice that the US FDA did in the 1970s. That was the biggest instigating factor in starting the obesity and diabetes epidemic that has since begun to spread around the world.

In response to the bold, you are one of the people that you are complaining about. You literally just said:

"Mark my words.
    Carbs should be the smallest of your macros. (fats and protein are what you evolved over millions of years to run on)"

That is your opinion that you defend by cherry picking bits and pieces of information yet you you state it as an absolute.

I don't see those statements as necessarily contradictory. They can (are?) both be true.

Or perhaps... I may have softened my stance in light of a couple of well thought out replies which used facts and examples rather than dogma and "bro science" (like CICO) to make a point?

You think CICO is broscience?

LOL I need a sarcasm font. ;-)
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member

LMAO OK

A personal preference is one thing, but you wrote " I don't think a vegetarian lifestyle is healthy or natural for humans." If you're going to make statements like that, people are going to ask what the foundation is.

As far as "natural," it may or may not be. But we know that we reject many things that are "natural" and can be perfectly healthy and happy doing things that are "unnatural." It's an irrelevant category for health.

So when you say it isn't "healthy," what facts are you basing that on? I know you're not basing it on studies of vegetarians and vegans because those studies exist and overall they don't show that they have a higher rate of illness or early death than non-vegans and vegetarians.
This discussion has been closed.