Replies

• spagano8888
    spagano8888 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thank you !!!
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    Weirdly enough, the manufacturer intends for you to eat the entire bag and yet they call a bag 2.5 servings.

That's not messed up at all. Nothing to see here.
  • Sp1tfire
    Sp1tfire Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    popcorn labels are confusing
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    DX2JX2 wrote: »
    Weirdly enough, the manufacturer intends for you to eat the entire bag and yet they call a bag 2.5 servings.

If I remember correctly, serving sizes are based on the average amount eaten by consumers (as self-reported) and it's based on the type of product, not the particular brand.
  • ZoneFive
    ZoneFive Posts: 570 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options

If I remember correctly, serving sizes are based on the average amount eaten by consumers (as self-reported) and it's based on the type of product, not the particular brand.

"Self-reported" being the operative term. We humans are pretty awful at remembering or reporting just how much we ate.
  • clayelliott847
    clayelliott847 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Most of us feel like we have to clean our plate. Hard to change that thinking.
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    ZoneFive wrote: »

"Self-reported" being the operative term. We humans are pretty awful at reporting portion sizes correctly.

Absolutely. It's a wacky system to determine serving sizes and I think it's further compromised by the fact that many people tend to eat what is in front of them. So even I'm usually eating, say, an ounce of potato chips when I take them out of the big bag at home, if I'm out and I buy a two ounce bag, I'm more likely to eat the whole thing once I've opened it even though that's technically two servings.
  • DX2JX2
    Options

It's only really in North America where leaving something on your plate is normal because our serving sizes are so huge.
  • DX2JX2
    Options

"Self-reported" being the operative term. We humans are pretty awful at reporting portion sizes correctly.

Absolutely. It's a wacky system to determine serving sizes and I think it's further compromised by the fact that many people tend to eat what is in front of them. So even I'm usually eating, say, an ounce of potato chips when I take them out of the big bag at home, if I'm out and I buy a two ounce bag, I'm more likely to eat the whole thing once I've opened it even though that's technically two servings.

The bag is technically one serving. The manufacturer wants to call it two so the calorie count looks more reasonable.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options

O trans fats
    If there are less than .67 grams trans fat per serving, the manufacturer can round it down to 0. Talk about messed up. So you probably had about 1.65 grams trans fat.
  • janejellyroll
    Options

The bag is technically one serving. The manufacturer wants to call it two so the calorie count looks more reasonable.

It's not up to the manufacturer, it's based on tables created by the FDA. It has flaws because it is based on self-reported information, but it's called two servings (in this example) because one ounce is considered a serving of potato chips.
  • magster4isu
    magster4isu Posts: 632 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Whole bag = 2.5 servings
    2.5 x 180 = 450

I may be wrong, but shouldn't you be looking at the popped nutrition?

Serving =4.5 C
    Servings/bag = 2.5
    Calories/cup = 30

4.5x2.5x30 = 337.5 calories per bag of popped popcorn.
  • Aarjono
    Aarjono Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I actually bought a product the other day (I think it was a candy bar, but I can't remember) that had the servings and calories for the entire package IN BOLD. I thought "How great! Why don't they all do this??"
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options

I clean my plate...I also put an appropriate amount of food on my plate to be cleaned...

I personally wouldn't sweat this...a whole bag is like 350 calories (rounding)
  • Aerona85
    Aerona85 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Aarjono wrote: »
    I actually bought a product the other day (I think it was a candy bar, but I can't remember) that had the servings and calories for the entire package IN BOLD. I thought "How great! Why don't they all do this??"

I think that is the new laws rolling out. That manufacturer is just ahead of the game.

• barebon
    barebon Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    If you finished a whole bag I would look more at the nutritional side of it and see what it is your body is craving. Maybe you can easily cut the calories by finding foods that are higher in what your body needs. This worked for me! I don't have crazy cravings anymore. Amazingness I thought it was in my genetic code. I had to go through a whole chain of demolishing boxes and bags of different things before I found the full solution. Maybe you need more omeg 3? That reduced my popcorn cravings considerably!