PCOS and Counting Calories - Think it will work?

2»

Replies

• Hichiko
    Hichiko Posts: 97 Member
    edited August 2017
    PCOS here, too! Calorie counting is definitely the way to go - calories in/calories out isn't hard to figure out, and when you log routinely, it's an easy habit to take up.
    There are a few communities here on MFP for us, and the support from the forums as a whole is pretty great. Good luck on your journey, and feel free to add me!
  • omsmom12
    omsmom12 Posts: 31 Member
    edited August 2017
    I tried calorie counting and I lost weight. But when I cut carbs (at the time not keto but just moderately low-carb), I got pregnant(!!) within a couple of months which I wasn't supposed to be able to do without medical intervention. (This was a welcome surprise as my husband and I were considering adoption.) So, obviously, a lower carb diet helped my PCOS better than calorie-counting alone. Five years later, a lower-carb diet keeps my cycles pretty regular. I recommend giving it a try.
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    edited August 2017
    omsmom12 wrote: »
    I tried calorie counting and I lost weight. But when I cut carbs (at the time not keto but just moderately low-carb), I got pregnant(!!) within a couple of months which I wasn't supposed to be able to do without medical intervention. (This was a welcome surprise as my husband and I were considering adoption.) So, obviously, a lower carb diet helped my PCOS better than calorie-counting alone. Five years later, a lower-carb diet keeps my cycles pretty regular. I recommend giving it a try.

curious, What makes you think it was low carb that helped your fertility, Vs weight loss regulating hormones?
  • I have PCOS and am just basically counting calories and using common sense. The weight has been dropping off albeit slower pace than a lot of other people. I've lost 32 lbs since February (Most since april).

I don't eat gluten at all but that's because I am allergic to gluten which I found out via my doctor. No gluten, very little lactose (very minor amounts of cheese on a rare occasion), no beef (also allergic). I do eat carbs though I stick to whole carbs like quinoa or rice or sweet potatoes. Without carbs I feel terrible. I aim for about 1500 calories a day. Workout about 6 x a week. 3x weights, 3x cardio.

Not currently on any medication but have been on metformin, spiro, BC in the past. Hope that helps some! you can definitely do it. Just focus on whole foods vs processed foods.
  • As far as changing calorie goals it depends. For me, I've actually gained muscle as I've lost fat so my BMR is about the same. However, I have the ability to get an in body scan every 4-6 weeks to get my body fat percentage so I can stay on top of that without guessing.
  • kaypee65
    kaypee65 Posts: 120 Member
    Isa Chandra Moskowitz has PCOS and thyroid issues. She actually wrote a book of easy, low calorie vegan recipes because of her need to manage weight. (Appetite For Reduction) And it is my GO TO cookbook for most meals. bigcityvegan.com/blog/food-and-drink/interview-with-isa-chandra-moskowitz

While I don't have PCOS, low calorie vegan has worked for the author who developed some lovely recipes.
  • __TMac__
    __TMac__ Posts: 1,665 Member
    I have PCOS, and calorie counting works for me. Two things I know about myself have helped me with stick to it.

1) Exercise is an appetite suppressant . Anything more than 30 minutes of solid cardio (running, biking, swimming, rowing; not leisurely walking) means I'll get hungry only just before meals. If I skip it, I'm in the fridge and preoccupied with food all day.

2) Carbs, simple or complex, if eaten alone, are an appetite enhancer. I don't want my appetite enhanced, so I avoid this. I can eat them, but I have to eat them with fat or protein. A breakfast of pancakes and syrup would be unwise. A breakfast of a pancake topped with whole-fat plain yogurt and strawberries is a thing of beauty. For me.

Experiment on yourself. What keeps you satiated? How often should you eat? Whatever you need to do to sustain your calorie deficit is the right answer.

[Caveat: Weight loss and long-term health are two different things. The deficit will help you lose weight. Nutrient density will help you get and stay healthy generally.]
  • Javagal2778
    Javagal2778 Posts: 74 Member
    omsmom12 wrote: »

I think it's great that you were able to get pregnant when you thought it was going to require medical assistance. However, I would caution you that suggesting that making a diet change is the "magic fix" for fertility. Infertility is a heartbreaking situation for many women and isn't necessarily easily addressed through diet alone.

• MeemawCanDoIt
    MeemawCanDoIt Posts: 92 Member
    I have PCOS and have lost significant weight on a 1,200 calorie diet. I also reduced my carb intake to around 100g a day. My insulin levels have greatly improved. I don't exercise as much as I'd like, but the weight is coming off.