Running comfortably.

I don't know if it's the foods I'm eating or if it's the portions but when I run at night I tend to feel really heavy. Should dinner be my lightest meal if I plan on running a few hours later? I generally have a light breakfast (cereal or oatmeal) and pasta for either lunch/dinner and something equally as filling for lunch/dinner.

Replies

• CTcutie
    CTcutie Posts: 649 Member
    I try to get some salad & protein @ lunch myself, and have some fruit & something carby but light an hour or so before running, then eat dinner later, but you might like something different :smile: (I can't eat too many carbs 1-2 hrs before a run bc I will get side stitches & feel like a hot mess, lol!)
  • bendyourkneekatie
    bendyourkneekatie Posts: 696 Member
    My afternoon/evening runs always feature some level of stomach discomfort/pain where my morning runs generally don't. It's better if I've not eaten for a couple hours before running if possible
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    I can't run with anything heavy in my stomach. If I can't eat a couple of hours before, I'll wait to eat until afterwards.
  • Joanna2012B
    Joanna2012B Posts: 1,448 Member
    I feel the same way when I run in the evening, which is why I run fasted in the morning!!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    I don't know if it's the foods I'm eating or if it's the portions but when I run at night I tend to feel really heavy. Should dinner be my lightest meal if I plan on running a few hours later? I generally have a light breakfast (cereal or oatmeal) and pasta for either lunch/dinner and something equally as filling for lunch/dinner.

i cant imagine running after my evening meal... i run after work, before my tea.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Personal preference... trial and error. I hate running with food in my stomach, especially anything heavy or filling.
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Everyone's different. I can't do anything less than two hours before I run -- otherwise, I just don't feel OK with it.

With the urging of my dietitian, I've started doing a heavier lunch (I run after work, so about five hours later) with a light snack (15-30 gm carbohydrate + 10 grams of protein or so) before I run, and then a similar snack after. I'll then do a lighter dinner.
  • becky10rp
    becky10rp Posts: 573 Member
    I eat after I run. Nothing worse than running and feeling your meal slosh around in your stomach!
  • eep223
    eep223 Posts: 624 Member
    edited September 2017
    Personally, I prefer to eat after running instead of before, but as others have said, try some different foods and see what works. Maybe just a snack earlier and a full dinner later?
  • aeloine
    aeloine Posts: 2,163 Member
    I'm definitely the opposite. I CANNOT workout fasted. I run after dinner, so dinner has to be right. I've noticed that if I have too much meat, my runs suck -- same with too much sugar. My dinner tends to be vegetable heavy with some lighter starches: rice noodles, thin corn tortillas, etc. I had a banana with peanut butter before going out last night and definitely felt it trying to come back up in the beginning (too much sugar, I'm guessing). Experiment with your pre-workout meals, because everyone is different.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    I prefer to run with as little food in my stomach as possible.
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member

Everyone is different. For me, I have to eat before running or else I can hear my stomach growling like I haven't eaten in days and I feel light-headed. My S.O. on the other hand HATES eating beforehand because (same as you) he feels heavy and like his performance is off. It's all about what you prefer. You could just be more exhausted by the end of the day, therefore you feel off. Try switching your routine for a week and see if you feel any better. I personally enjoy starting off my morning sessions with cardio to pump up my energy.
  • mabearof6
    mabearof6 Posts: 684 Member
    Everyone is different, but I prefer to run in a fasted state. If I have to run in the evenings instead of my normal morning I try make sure I don't eat at least 4 hours prior, or I feel like it just weighs on me.
  • LeLoupVit
    LeLoupVit Posts: 18 Member
    Does running in the mornings fit into your schedule? Because it would be easier to run with a lighter body (e.g. having taken only a cup of coffee with a splash of milk or not eating or drinking anything at all) upon waking.
  • Penthesilea514
    Penthesilea514 Posts: 1,189 Member
    I do cardio fasted and lifting with at least a little something in my tummy, but I can't eat much before I workout either way. It is totally up to what feels best for you.