Britt's Vegan OMAD Journey

Replies

• brittdee88
    brittdee88 Posts: 1,874 Member
    Did a brisk 3-mile walk this morning and plan to do another walk in a few hours, so today is a TMAD day.

First meal of the day:
    ntq4yp2machc.jpg

Leftover potato curry and basmati rice with green peas
    Green beans
    Protein shake

Nothing too inspiring. I was too hungry after my walk to plate my food nicely, so it's still in containers. I ate half of the green beans and all of the curry, rice, and shake.
    Typically I would have my raw meal first on an empty stomach after exercise, but I am awaiting a shipment of post-exercise raw protein powder. Once I get it, my first TMAD meal will almost always be the raw one of the day.
    I will likely have a big salad and a smoothie for my second meal today while I cook for tomorrow, since it is likely to be an OMAD day, and I want something special! I am thinking gluten-free Jamaican veggie patties with coconut rice and peas.

• Brendalea69
    Brendalea69 Posts: 3,863 Member
    brittdee88 wrote: »
    Thanks, @wsandy8512 and @minigrrll! Of course I wanted to see a drop, but I will take loose jeans and lost inches, too! I hope that will help inform my maintenance plan when I get to that point. Last month's eating was super duper easy. I want to get to 147 by the end of September, though, and I know I only lose weight through food changes. I hope those are enough to give me that drop, but I am opening to adjusting. 147 was my highest weight in college (I never thought I would get higher than that back then but alas...), and I am determined to get there!

I'm rooting for you to get to 147 :)
  • brittdee88
    Thanks, Brenda! I sure hope so!
  • wsandy8512
    wsandy8512 Posts: 1,897 Member
    Your food looks really tasty! And here's to you getting down to 147! :smile:
  • brittdee88
    edited September 2017
    Thanks, Sandy! I hope so :#
    I am thinking of weighing every other day to check my progress. I am determined to get there this month, especially because I will likely maintain again in October.

Today's high-raw meal:
    73taekjsrb6s.jpg

Huge salad with carrots, onions, peppers, tomatoes, almond "meat," and tahini ranch dressing
    Glass of red
    Spoonful of cinnamon raisin peanut butter (this is the only cooked thing I ate, but I will be replacing this soon with raw hazelnut butter once it arrives)

This was SO good! It was my first time making the nut meat, and I was not disappointed in the least. Nut meat has been getting lots and lots of hype in the vegan world for the past year or so, but I never felt the need to make it. This will definitely be a staple for my salads now.
    I didn't eat enough at my first meal, so I was starving by the time I sat down to eat this. I prefer eating later in the evening around 7 or 8, but I couldn't make it past 5:30. I need to make sure I have full plates at every mealtime.
  • brittdee88
    Yikes: I failed today. I walked another two miles after dinner and about an hour later, I was starving again (I had the empty stomach and grumble for REAL) and had some chocolate ice cream. Has anyone else had the Haagen Dazs non-dairy salted chocolate truffle? It is SO good!

Anywho, not a good start to the month. I don't know if because I am focusing on loss this month that I am subconsciously restricting myself or what, but I need to nip that in the bud. I know what happens when I don't eat enough calories while staying active: fatigue and weight gain like crazy! I am going to try to remove after-dinner exercise for now. And I do think having the raw meal first will definitely help because I know cooked food carries me through much longer, so I am making that change immediately. I will just have the protein shake a little later with my cooked meal for the time being. I also am recommitting to using an actual plate that I can fill up to make sure I am eating enough. When I calculated my first meal just to try and figure out what was going on, it was only around 300 calories even with the shake.

Basically, I definitely didn't eat enough today. I am chocking this up to learning pains.

I am going to weigh in the morning because I have decided to stay on top of my progress by weighing every other day, but I am not sure what I will see given how much ice cream I put away! In any case, lesson learned.
  • wsandy8512
    wsandy8512 Posts: 1,897 Member
    Thanks, Sandy! I hope so :#
    I am thinking of weighing every other day to check my progress. I am determined to get there this month, especially because I will likely maintain again in October.

Today's high-raw meal:

Huge salad with carrots, onions, peppers, tomatoes, almond "meat," and tahini ranch dressing
    Glass of red
    Spoonful of cinnamon raisin peanut butter (this is the only cooked thing I ate, but I will be replacing this soon with raw hazelnut butter once it arrives)

This was SO good! It was my first time making the nut meat, and I was not disappointed in the least. Nut meat has been getting lots and lots of hype in the vegan world for the past year or so, but I never felt the need to make it. This will definitely be a staple for my salads now.
    I didn't eat enough at my first meal, so I was starving by the time I sat down to eat this. I prefer eating later in the evening around 7 or 8, but I couldn't make it past 5:30. I need to make sure I have full plates at every mealtime.

You're welcome, Britt. Your meal looks incredible, by the way!

Yes, I think you've hit the proverbial nail on the head by acknowledging you don't deal well with restrictions. Some people do fine with it, I'm not one of them. Making sure you have enough food for your meal is key in making the scale move down, in my experience anyway. It's our one meal, or two sometimes in your case, you want to make them count and keep you satiated. Restricting is self-sabatoge, lol. None of us want that!

You've got this. Don't look at it like you started off the month bad, you caught yourself! Learning is part of the process. Implementing what we have learned about ourselves is even more important. You'll be fine. :-)
  • Brendalea69
    Brendalea69 Posts: 3,863 Member
    I agree, make sure your eating till satisfied and it will help you until your next meal...You can do this!!! :)
  • brittdee88
    Thanks so much for the encouragement, Sandy and Brenda! Today is going to be an OMAD day since I won't be doing any sustained cardio, so I am going to make sure it is filling!

• blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    I don't do well with restrictions either. I almost always over - compensate for them the next day. I'm doing something similar to you, that on exercise days tmad and (need to get back to it), omad on non exercising days. I find my 1st meal of day really needs to be a salad or low carb or I will gain weight or have a hard time losing (that is with tmad daily).
  • brittdee88
    Bob, of course you are -- I don't know how I didn't remember you saying that! My ultimate goal is to go completely raw, but I am phasing it in. My goal for TMAD days (from now on - yesterday was a horrible mistake!) is to eat raw for the first meal, which will likely be a salad with nuts and a raw protein shake.
    I'm only planning TMAD for days with sustained cardio. My hunger isn't elevated with resistance training alone. What about you?
  • brittdee88
    I couldn't sleep until 9:30 like I did when I weighed in on Thursday, so I woke up and exercised around 8:30. Even though the situation is slightly different, I decided to get on the scale anyway because I was curious. I am up a pound, which I think will be gone after today's fast. It's an OMAD day, and I am excited about whipping up the Caribbean meal I have been craving lately: veggie patties, rice and peas, stewed beans, and salad.
  • blambo61
    Bob, of course you are -- I don't know how I didn't remember you saying that! My ultimate goal is to go completely raw, but I am phasing it in. My goal for TMAD days (from now on - yesterday was a horrible mistake!) is to eat raw for the first meal, which will likely be a salad with nuts and a raw protein shake.
    I'm only planning TMAD for days with sustained cardio. My hunger isn't elevated with resistance training alone. What about you?

I haven't been doing weights lately so I'm not sure but running makes me hungry. I think it is harder for me to lose running than not running possibly due to increased appetite. I don't look at fitness just from a weight standpoint though. A person can be skinny and not have any muscular or cardiovascular strength which are both very important to me. Even when I was at my heaviest or close to it, I was active (when not having gout attacks) and hiked a lot (I couldn't run then cause I was too fat to run). I will keep running and am going to start weights back up (I diet to do things which I can do now) and I will let the weight come off slowly. Everyone is a little different and some, the exercise may help a lot with getting the weight off. I think I'm about neutral or it hurts me a little but I am getting in much better cardio shape and can hike to the top of the mountains around here with no problem.
  • brittdee88
    edited September 2017
    @blambo61 yeah, I don't look to exercise for weight loss at all. In the past, I have lost a ton of inches and clothing sizes from working out regularly and not lost a single pound! This past month I moved down a pant size and have visibly lost inches, but I put on 0.8 lb! I use exercise solely for gaining strength and body changes. Only diet seems to help me lose weight.
    I do notice that running and walking (or any cardio, for that matter) really increases my appetite, which is why I moved to TMAD on those days. It is really annoying because it feels like I am trying to do good things for my body, but then I end up wanting to eat SO much afterwards. Most times I can resist the urge to vacuum it in, but sometimes I succumb. Such an odd struggle.
  • blambo61
    @blambo61 yeah, I don't look to exercise for weight loss at all. In the past, I have lost a ton of inches and clothing sizes from working out regularly and not lost a single pound! This past month I moved down a pant size and have visibly lost inches, but I put on 0.8 lb! I use exercise solely for gaining strength and body changes. Only diet seems to help me lose weight.
    I do notice that running and walking (or any cardio, for that matter) really increases my appetite, which is why I moved to TMAD on those days. It is really annoying because it feels like I am trying to do good things for my body, but then I end up wanting to eat SO much afterwards. Most times I can resist the urge to vacuum it in, but sometimes I succumb. Such an odd struggle.

If your maintaining weight but losing inches, you are gaining muscle and losing fat so your %BF is improving. That is good too! We can be skinny and still not have a great %bf as you know. Really I don't have a weight goal, I have a %BF goal and a muscle goal. I would like to be between 7 and 12% bf which I'm a long ways away from. I think there is an ideal for how much muscle I would like to have also which isn't as much as a body builder (good %bf but too much muslce), or like a professional 10k runner either (good %bf but not enough muscle). Somewhere in-between is my ideal (like the thinner professional 400m or bulkier 800m runner is what I consider ideal). Good luck.
  • katjustkat
    katjustkat Posts: 754 Member
    I agree that exercise doesn't do much for me in the weight loss arena. I already got my walk in today but prefer to do it and end it within an hour of my eating window. Walking does wonders for my brain; I just love taking in nature. I feel like exercise is just plain good to maintain some muscle to help our skeletal from having to hold up all our weight on it's own...poor bones :D I look at my one meal and mentally divide it in three to see what I would be getting if it were three meals. Maybe add a lil good fat to keep you satisfied longer. good luck; you're already doing great!
  • brittdee88
    Thanks, @blambo61 and @katjustkat!
  • brittdee88
    Today's OMAD:
    xsdze09plsfu.jpg

SO GOOD! This was worth the effort!
    Jamaican veggie patties (serious labor of love!)
    Rice and peas
    Stewed beans
    Green beans
    Salad with blueberry ginger tahini dressing
    Ghiradelli dark chocolate
    Glass of red

This is definitely one of the best meals I have had in a LONG time! Absolutely delicious!
  • blambo61
    Wow! That looks great!
  • katjustkat
    katjustkat Posts: 754 Member
    Wow definitely looks gourmet...fit for a princess. I love your lil compartment tray.