Post a quote

Replies

• GlassAngyl
    GlassAngyl Posts: 478 Member
    Tallawah_ wrote: »
    cee134 wrote: »
    "Your Facebook Friends Who Post Inspirational Quotes Really Are Dumb, Says Study" -Allison Tierney

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/dp5k7k/your-facebook-friends-who-post-inspirational-quotes-really-are-dumb-science-says-vgtrn

LOL. That's awesome. Some of them really are straight-up BS.

Hmmmmm...that's not really what the article is saying though is it?.......purposeful misinterpretation of the research mixed with pompous literal interpretation of some sayings isn't particularly clever either....

Here's a clip of the article where it very clearly states that some are BS:

"In the study, nearly 300 participants were presented with various statements, including those of the "*kitten*" variety, and asked to react to them by rating their profoundness on a scale of one to five, classifying quotes as either profound, *kitten*, or mundane. They were also given tests meant to measure their cognitive ability and personality"

TL/DR - You're not particularly clever either.

This could get boring but I'll give it one more round...

The headline states "Your Facebook Friends Who Post Inspirational Quotes Are Really Dumb" the 'research' then goes on to show that some out of a group of 300 people (no attempt to find out if they regularly post quotes) don't recognise made up quotes when presented with them. There is no attempt to find out if they would actually post them on to anybody

So given the lack of rigour in this 'research', I'd say it's pretty dumb to conclude the quotes you are seeing in your feed are coming from dumb friends...

Can't recognize made up quotes? Technically aren't they ALL made up by someone? Of course some of the most ignorant friends on my FB page just happen to be those who seem overzealous in their quote posting hobby. Not necessarily stupid, just ignorant. At least they aren't like the ones that seem convinced by the blessing and curses quotes. Prove you love God or something bad will happen.. Send this pic of Jesus to 10 friends and you will come into money just when you need it.
  • BoosDimples
    BoosDimples Posts: 2,826 Member
    "Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth. "

Oscar Wilde
  • WorkerDrone83
    WorkerDrone83 Posts: 3,195 Member
    edited September 2017
    "Your Facebook Friends Who Post Inspirational Quotes Really Are Dumb, Says Study" -Allison Tierney

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/dp5k7k/your-facebook-friends-who-post-inspirational-quotes-really-are-dumb-science-says-vgtrn

Hmmmmm...that's not really what the article is saying though is it?.......purposeful misinterpretation of the research mixed with pompous literal interpretation of some sayings isn't particularly clever either....

"In the study, nearly 300 participants were presented with various statements, including those of the "*kitten*" variety, and asked to react to them by rating their profoundness on a scale of one to five, classifying quotes as either profound, *kitten*, or mundane. They were also given tests meant to measure their cognitive ability and personality"

The headline states "Your Facebook Friends Who Post Inspirational Quotes Are Really Dumb" the 'research' then goes on to show that some out of a group of 300 people (no attempt to find out if they regularly post quotes) don't recognise made up quotes when presented with them. There is no attempt to find out if they would actually post them on to anybody

So given the lack of rigour in this 'research', I'd say it's pretty dumb to conclude the quotes you are seeing in your feed are coming from dumb friends...

I'm glad you went another round so we could clarify what posts we're talking about. I don't have a FB feed so I was referring to the quotes included in the article.

I'm thinking you're either a stickler for the scientific method or you post a lot of inspirational quotes. It's just a silly article that I commented on.
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    edited September 2017
    You can get the actual study if you google it: On the reception and detection of pseudo-profound [censored]

Here's an unrelated quote I will post.

e078rq0fjd2t.jpg

• sw33tp3a1
    sw33tp3a1 Posts: 5,065 Member
    u7qs7dviyhm4.png
  • sw33tp3a1
    sw33tp3a1 Posts: 5,065 Member
    jlg51si9xy4t.jpg
  • Raquel_Mama
    Raquel_Mama Posts: 1,815 Member
    1t34ps3a05ox.jpg
  • Raquel_Mama
    90ih4wv0h644.jpg
  • Raquel_Mama
    n13oaq9c21ue.jpg
  • Raquel_Mama
    73vb2ymfrnky.jpg
  • Raquel_Mama
    qotakm2bombs.jpg
  • Tallawah_
    Tallawah_ Posts: 2,469 Member
    You can get the actual study if you google it: On the reception and detection of pseudo-profound [censored]

e078rq0fjd2t.jpg

Well to be fair to the researchers:

The focus of this work was on investigating individual differences in the tendency to accept *kitten* statements,

and at no point was any reference made to Facebook users. I guess it's just a crass interpretation by the headline writers

I'm glad you went another round so we could clarify what posts we're talking about. I don't have a FB feed so I was referring to the quotes included in the article.

I'm thinking you're either a stickler for the scientific method or you post a lot of inspirational quotes. It's just a silly article that I commented on.

Well I don't have a FB feed either so I guess that makes me the former! My bad! LOL!

In my defence what triggered me was the casual branding of a whole group of people as stupid...just kinda grates even in jest....
  • Tallawah_
    Tallawah_ Posts: 2,469 Member

e078rq0fjd2t.jpg

"The focus of this work was on investigating individual differences in the tendency to accept *kitten* statements..."

and at no point was any reference made by them to Facebook users. I guess it's just another crass interpretation by the headline writers...
    ...it's a bit ironic though that that tendency is exactly what these headline writers rely on...
  • WorkerDrone83
    WorkerDrone83 Posts: 3,195 Member

e078rq0fjd2t.jpg

The focus of this work was on investigating individual differences in the tendency to accept *kitten* statements,

and at no point was any reference made to Facebook users. I guess it's just a crass interpretation by the headline writers

Well I don't have a FB feed either so I guess that makes me the former! My bad! LOL!

In my defence what triggered me was the casual branding of a whole group of people as stupid...just kinda grates even in jest....

I wish there was a "fist-bump" option on here.
  • KateGymBunny
    KateGymBunny Posts: 52 Member
    The only way you will see results is if you stay consistent.
  • fancygirlsara
    fancygirlsara Posts: 21 Member
    Be yourself today, you look beautiful like that.
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    It's not a question of where he grips it! It's a simple question of weight ratios! A five ounce bird could not carry a one pound coconut.
    -1st soldier with a keen interest in birds from Monty Python and the Holy Grail
  • tinadraper1967
    tinadraper1967 Posts: 7 Member
    Long you live and high you fly
    And smiles you'll give and tears you'll cry
    And all you touch and all you see
    Is all your life will ever be