Anyone have any good oatmeal or steel cut oatmeal recipes?

13»

Replies

• jadowns
    jadowns Posts: 167 Member
    edited August 2017
    Yes I grate apples and add them into the mixture during the last 10 minutes. Then I add frozen blueberries or pomegranates to the HOT top with brown sugar and Irish butter. (Peanut butter is good on the top, but it's a trigger good for me, so I try to avoid it) ... add nutmeg and cinnamon to the top
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    The budgetbytes.com website has a bunch of baked oatmeal recipes that are fabulous. I made the pumpkin pie one for this week, eat it cold like cereal in milk. I made the apple pie one last week and ate it warm with frozen yogurt. The funky monkey is probably my favorite though.

I was all excited as they she has great recipes but it's all in cups, measuring out in cups then adding to the recipe on the scale to get the weight is just more effort than I can be bothered with (first world problems right?). But now I'm on a mission for a British site that will offer up similar!
  • browneyes1520
    browneyes1520 Posts: 94 Member
    My favorite is 1/2 cup oats cooked in 1 cup water with a tsp cinnamon and 1/2 cup fresh or frozen blueberries and then topped with a tbsp of brown sugar and a 1/4 cup of milk.
  • hendrafellany
    hendrafellany Posts: 17 Member
    Yo! Mine's 1 cup of oats, 2 scoops of AnimalWhey Red Velvet shaken up with 3 egg yolks in 200ml of water. Mix it up and microwave for 2-3 mins and there you go. Bfast that tastes like dessert.
  • mikahdabbs
    mikahdabbs Posts: 13 Member
    The budgetbytes.com website has a bunch of baked oatmeal recipes that are fabulous. I made the pumpkin pie one for this week, eat it cold like cereal in milk. I made the apple pie one last week and ate it warm with frozen yogurt. The funky monkey is probably my favorite though.

Thank you! Those sound good!
  • mikahdabbs
    mikahdabbs Posts: 13 Member
    Yo! Mine's 1 cup of oats, 2 scoops of AnimalWhey Red Velvet shaken up with 3 egg yolks in 200ml of water. Mix it up and microwave for 2-3 mins and there you go. Bfast that tastes like dessert.

Yum! Sounds good. Thank you!
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    I cook oats in water with a pinch of salt. For sweet, I like adding any or a combination of the following:

-Pure Quebec maple syrup
    -Brown sugar
    -Blueberries/whatever fruit I'm in the mood for.
    -Sliced almonds
    -Unsweetened coconut

For savoury, I like a combination of:
    -Onion powder/onion soup mix/dried fried onions.
    -Bovril
    -Parmesan cheese
    -poached egg on top.
  • OregonMother
    OregonMother Posts: 1,558 Member
    Did someone already mention chocolate? I needed a snack this afternoon. I prepared a package of Glutenfreeda oatmeal and threw in a small Dove chocolate. I loved watching the chocolate melt. :love: It was fantastic -- satisfied my chocolate craving/need and provided energy to get through the afternoon.
  • Speziface
    Speziface Posts: 1,687 Member
    A serving of oats with a pinch of salt, a couple teaspoons of honey, maple syrup, or brown sugar, a teaspoon of cinnamon, and some blueberries (fresh or dried) or raisins is great with a strong cup of tea (Earl Gray, hot).

I also like to add a tablespoon plus of straight cocoa powder, a pinch of salt, a half teaspoon of vanilla, and 2 tablespoons of brown or white sugar.

Thoroughly stirring an egg into either recipe is optional but adds some richness and protein. And it's tasty.
  • far_fetched
    far_fetched Posts: 2 Member
    No sure if I read all posts, but I think nobody mentioned baked oats.. So!

1 cup of oats
    1 cup of almond milk (unsweetened)
    2 cups water
    1 shredded apple
    1 chopped banana
    1 tbsp cinnamon (or more if you're anything like me)
    1 tbsp agave nectar or maple syrup
    A few raisins

Add everything in a heat resistant bowl. Mix well. Chuck in the oven. Stir every 10 minutes. Leave in for 30 minutes or until tender.

THEN add a tbsp of peanut butter (100% nuts) and a handful of frozen raspberries on top.. Scoff!!!
  • sugarstrawberries
    sugarstrawberries Posts: 140 Member

I was all excited as they she has great recipes but it's all in cups, measuring out in cups then adding to the recipe on the scale to get the weight is just more effort than I can be bothered with (first world problems right?). But now I'm on a mission for a British site that will offer up similar!

Your scale doesn't have an "ounces" setting? That's what I use when a recipe calls for cups...
  • mrsbarnett1012
    mrsbarnett1012 Posts: 63 Member
    My favorite way to eat oatmeal is cook steel cut oats with water per package directions (usually 4:1 water/oat ratio). I prep several days worth at once since they take so long to cook...
    Then I top with a few slices of banana, 1/2-1T almond butter, lots of cinnamon and then 1/2 cup of mixed berries, usually blueberries and raspberries are my favorites!

I've also recently tried egg white oatmeal which was good too. Old fashion oats, water and about 3-4 egg whites (these are added in the last few minutes of the cooking process) plus a splash of vanilla extract. They make a light, fluffy kind of oatmeal with a good amount of protein. They were good plain or topped similarly to how I do my steel cut oats.

I've never had savory oats before but after hearing some of these recipes I think I'll have to try some out soon!
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member

Your scale doesn't have an "ounces" setting? That's what I use when a recipe calls for cups...

It does but the same issue. Cups are volume. 1 cup of oats/whatever can really mean anything. I'm being pedantic but it annoys me!
  • dustedwithsugar
    dustedwithsugar Posts: 179 Member
    Best oatmeal ever: cook 40g steel cut oats with 250 ml of milk until it's nice and thick (less than 5 min). Stir in tablespoon of peanut butter. Serve topped with sliced banana and dizzle of honey. SO GOOD. Perfect breakfast for fall and winter.
  • angelinhell
    angelinhell Posts: 56 Member
    edited September 2017
    With almond milk, banana, strawberries and honey or a bit of cacao powder is amazing!
  • minniestar55
    minniestar55 Posts: 346 Member
    I cook steel cut oats mixed with amaranth in my Instant Pot, makes enough for 4 breakfasts. Lovely taste, with Skyr or almond milk, blueberries, banana. Yum!
  • Keapix
    Keapix Posts: 92 Member
    I like overnight oats for work, with cocoa powder, banana, and peanut butter.