Pop?

Has any members lost lots of weight still drinking pop. I don't mean diet pop though just regular pops.

Thanks

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Weight loss is all about staying in a calorie deficit. All calories count equally. You have to decide what foods and drinks, in which amounts, and how often, are worth the calories. This means that yes, you can drink pop if you want to, and that lots of people most likely have.
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    If you allow for the soda in your daily calories, you can drink it and lose weight. It will depend on what your calorie goal is. Personally, I was drinking over 1,000 calories of Mtn Dew a day and decided I would rather eat those calories because I was only "allowed" 1200cals/day when I started losing. As I was able to increase my activity level and calories, I added a moderate level (maybe two or three a week) of soda back in and continued losing.
  • Keapix
    Keapix Posts: 92 Member
    I'm in maintenance now, but I drank half a can of lemonade/coke most days... I actually find a whole can too much now, even though I have the spare calories!
  • Old_Cat_Lady
    Old_Cat_Lady Posts: 1,193 Member
    What's a pop? Is that a coke?
  • Yes pop is coke, pepsi and such.
  • JustRobby1
    JustRobby1 Posts: 674 Member
    Just switch to diet, which is what I did back when I started. I am a diet Mt. Dew guy, and believe it or not regular Mt. Dew tastes disguising to me now.
  • Wiggymommy
    Wiggymommy Posts: 106 Member
    A normal can of pop/soda (whatever term you prefer) is about 150 calories. When people are losing weight they are already cutting their normal amount of calories down by around 500 or so under maintenance. This naturally makes most people hungry and when they fill it with empty calories, such as pop, that can lead to straying from the diet and diet failure. If they drank pop and lost weight they used the pop as maybe a once a time a week treat. Personally, I found a diet soda I like and I drink that from time to time. I might have a regular, non-diet pop every blue moon but that's just it. I venture to guess most people who have lost lots of weight aren't drinking pop on the regular. Everything in moderation. Especially empty calories.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    The same question comes up concerning wine or beer. The answer is that it's totally doable. Just keep yourself consistently in net deficit and off the weight goes. I ate a piece of chocolate every day while losing 22 lbs last winter, for example.

(Drinking 160kcals of corn syrup would only make sense just before or after a good 500kcal+ cardio workout, IMHO.)
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    What's a pop? Is that a coke?

"pop" is what a soft drink is called in parts of the US.

Terms for soft drinks:
    • Soda
    • Pop
    • Tonic (a small part of Massachusetts/Rhode Island)
    • Coke (a few scattered pockets call all soft drinks coke. Customer: "I'll have a coke" Server: "What kind do you want?" Customer: "give me a Sprite")

• PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    I did at first, but the calorie trade-off wasn't worth it to me. If you have lots of calories to play with, you might have a better time of it.
  • WickedPineapple
    WickedPineapple Posts: 701 Member
    Yes, I drank regular coke while I was losing weight. However, I didn't drink it often (maybe one can a week), but I was never one to drink it daily. I can't stand diet, I'd rather drink water. Even now in maintenance, when I want pop I still drink regular, but as someone else mentioned, I'm usually satisfied with less.
  • carljsimonsen
    carljsimonsen Posts: 3 Member
    Hi, I am not the poster child for loosing weight - but I have been doing well these last 2 months. I am down 7 lbs. I drink pop, but from the calorie consideration I only drink diet varieties. Also, as has been mentioned the sugar and calorie load of regular pop is huge, and I would rather eat my calories than drink them ;-)
  • rcreynol3090
    rcreynol3090 Posts: 174 Member
    edited September 2017
    If you are diabetic or pre-diabetic, sugary drinks of any kind should be on the never-touch list. I grew up drinking Coke, Pepsi, sweet tea, etc. Gave it up long ago in favor of diet drinks. Have all but given those up for water after my bypass surgery. Just my take on it.

I'm not diabetic, but many of my family and friends are, and I'd like to not be.
  • RachelElser
    RachelElser Posts: 1,049 Member
    I switched to Coke Zero
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Years ago I stopped drinking soda and didn't lose a damned thing. I didn't understand the relationship of CICO. Later, when I figured things out I limited my soda to once or twice a week. It provided an easy way to eliminate 200-300 calories per day. Since I dropped the extra weight I no longer limit it unless I'm really serious about my training. Even then I have Mountain DEW at least once a week. Mostly I have a Pepsi 5-6 days a week.

I loathe "diet" anything (can't stand artificial sweeteners). If I can't fit it into my diet I don't bother with it. Luckily I run 5 days a week so fitting in my soda is doable. YMMV.
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,200 Member
    Down 130 lbs and diet soda is the bulk of my daily liquids. Just count your calories. No one food item can halt weight loss if you're in a calorie deficit.