Britt's Vegan OMAD Journey

Replies

• brittdee88
    brittdee88 Posts: 1,874 Member
    Thanks, Bob and Kat!
  • brittdee88
    So after thinking a bit more, I have decided to get rid of my plan and just go with plain OMAD for the month. I already have an idea of how I can maintain, so I want to get off as much as I can following OMAD this month and then worry about maintaining in October.
  • brittdee88
    edited September 2017
    Trying out having my OMAD earlier in the day right after my workout. I have had success in the past eating earlier in the day in terms of reducing cravings (not sure why), but I sometimes get really crappy sleep when I go to bed on an empty stomach. I think I may allow a small glass of red before bed to remedy that as a tweak to OMAD. I only drink about 3 oz of super dry red -- very few calories and carbs. We'll see how it goes.

This meal was pretty much a repeat from yesterday but in different proportions to increase my protein intake.

dkzpcoka3bbx.jpg

Coconut water (didn't drink much of it -- this has got to be the worst coconut water I have ever tasted)
    Rice and peas
    Stewed beans
    Veggie patty
    Salad
    Half of a gluten-free bagel with raw cacao hazelnut spread
    Not pictured: protein shake
  • brittdee88
    It has now been almost 7 hours since my meal and there is no hunger and not a craving in sight. I usually feel hunger/cravings about 4 hours post-meal when I eat later in the day. This corroborates my initial findings from several months ago that I do best eating in the 10-2 window. I will stick with this for the rest of the month.
    I've also been reading a lot about red wine and fasting, and it seems like the studies are showing it has no effect or an improved effect on insulin resistance. I'm going to try drinking it before bed for a while and see if I notice anything. If I see no ill effects, I think this will be the best OMAD method for me.
  • Brendalea69
    Brendalea69 Posts: 3,863 Member
    edited September 2017
    brittdee88 wrote: »
    So after thinking a bit more, I have decided to get rid of my plan and just go with plain OMAD for the month. I already have an idea of how I can maintain, so I want to get off as much as I can following OMAD this month and then worry about maintaining in October.

I love this plan <3:)
  • tlblanksfit
    tlblanksfit Posts: 1,573 Member
    I think you will do great on your revised plan.
  • brittdee88
    Ugh.
    Last night sucked.
    I was doing fine until about 9:45 PM (~11 hours post-meal), and then the heavy cravings/mild hunger hit super hard, and I ended up binging.
    This sucks. I haven't binged in a long time, and I thought I was back in control.
    Can't decide whether I should fast today or start again, but at this rate, I will likely see a gain after my first week. I'm so disappointed in myself.

Ideas for the future:
    • Move my meal back to 1 PM. At least if hunger strikes again 11 hours later, I will be finishing off my glass of wine (great appetite suppressant for me) and heading to bed. I am never in bed by 10, so I can't see an 11 AM OMAD working out. This isn't ideal, though, because I prefer exercising in the morning, and I was using OMAD as a post-workout meal. I do, however, have the flexibility in my schedule to just exercise later, so I may just have to bite the bullet on this one.
    • Mix my protein powder with cold brew coffee. I usually use coffee to get through fasts, but I didn't feel any hunger or cravings at all until it was way too late to fix it with coffee. My protein powder is chocolate-flavored, so mixing it with coffee will give me a nice mocha-type drink that will have the one-two appetite suppressing punch of both coffee and protein. I usually have my protein shake as the bookend to my meal, so I think it could really work.
    • I was watching the food truck show on Food Network when the cravings hit. I know it sounds completely idiotic, but I think that may have had an impact on my desire for food even though I wasn't even all that hungry. I am going to avoid watching food-/cooking-focused shows towards the end of my fast.

Not sure what else I could change, but I will try the above and report back. I don't know if it is even realistic to fast today with my fiancé grilling and company coming over, so I may just fast on Wednesday right before weigh-in day to recoup from last night.
  • brittdee88
    edited September 2017
    Had my OMAD around 1:45ish today. It's my last Caribbean-style meal. Fiancé grilled me up a bunch of vegetables that I'm going to use to make tacos later this week.

d9m759axopwv.jpg

I was too full from yesterday's binge to have a protein shake, but I will likely have an iced black coffee soon to nip any cravings in the bud before it's too late to be having caffeine.
  • minigrrll
    minigrrll Posts: 1,590 Member
    Your veggie patties look so amazing! In fact, that looks like my perfect meal...
  • katjustkat
    katjustkat Posts: 754 Member
    yes that looks delicious. What is the crust made out of on your veggie pattie? Those grilled veggies would be really good on a salad . Hmmmm....more ideas... :)
  • brittdee88
    Thanks, @minigrrll! It was delicious!

@katjustkat the crust is made with gluten-free APF, pinches of sugar, salt, and turmeric, and about 1/2 cup of vegan shortening. I forgot how absorbent GF flour is, so they're not the ideal light, flaky texture of traditional Jamaican patties but still tasty (and friendly to my allergy!). Those grilled veggies WOULD be super good on a salad. I brushed them with some neutral seasonings so that I can easily adjust it to fit into a variety of cuisines. Not sure how useful that will be, though. We are evacuating tomorrow because of Irma.
  • minigrrll
    OH NO.... Stay safe... <3
  • mistymeadows2005
    mistymeadows2005 Posts: 3,737 Member

@katjustkat the crust is made with gluten-free APF, pinches of sugar, salt, and turmeric, and about 1/2 cup of vegan shortening. I forgot how absorbent GF flour is, so they're not the ideal light, flaky texture of traditional Jamaican patties but still tasty (and friendly to my allergy!). Those grilled veggies WOULD be super good on a salad. I brushed them with some neutral seasonings so that I can easily adjust it to fit into a variety of cuisines. Not sure how useful that will be, though. We are evacuating tomorrow because of Irma.

We'll be thinking about you, Britt!
  • tlblanksfit
    tlblanksfit Posts: 1,573 Member
    My father lives in Florida as well. He says he is preparing for the Hurricane. I don't think he will be evacuating though
  • Brendalea69
    Brendalea69 Posts: 3,863 Member
    I'm praying for you all in Florida!!!
  • katjustkat

Ahhhh...the yellow color threw me...mystery solved...tumeric :) My sisters and mom are in Ft. Lauderdale. I don't think they're evacuating either. We left Florida after Andrew. we had a duplex in Cutler Ridge and the wind sucked the window frames right out of the walls. What a mess that was... but that was a direct hit. Hope it misses you by 100's of miles.
  • mistymeadows2005
    mistymeadows2005 Posts: 3,737 Member
    Britt - I saw on the recipes thread that you just got an instant pot - Reviews? Thoughts? I really want one but before I spend the monies I want to make sure it's worth it!

(Though to be fair, if the yummy Indian food you've been posting was made in it then I think I know the answer ;););) )
  • minigrrll
    Britt - I saw on the recipes thread that you just got an instant pot - Reviews? Thoughts? I really want one but before I spend the monies I want to make sure it's worth it!

(Though to be fair, if the yummy Indian food you've been posting was made in it then I think I know the answer ;););) )

I keep looking at them too...
  • katjustkat
    Never heard of an 'instant pot'....hmmmm....I better go look :o
  • katjustkat
    katjustkat wrote: »
    Never heard of an 'instant pot'....hmmmm....I better go look :o

Oh I just looked...it's a pressure cooker. I have one. It's great for cooking meat quickly...and foods that take a long time will cook up in a snap. Also, tough meats get nice and tender. I haven't used mine in a while but I always liked it when I used it for soups and stews.