Fitbit Ionic

I just ordered my first fitbit... the fitbit ionic. It hasn't been released yet, but I can't wait to get it some time this month. Any tips or tricks for a first time fitbit user??

Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Read the FAQ in the stickies to understand what is going on between Fitbit and MFP - and the limitations of the device.

You won't understand it all until you use it and have an account, but some concepts you can understand first.
  • debrag12
    debrag12 Posts: 1,071 Member
    I'm also thinking about it, don't like the price though ;(

I've had many different fitbits but moved over to garmin when I got sick of the rubbish strap on the surge, that and the blaze didn't have inbuilt GPS. Now the Iconic is about to be released and finally it has inbuilt GPS (basically a blaze upgrade).

I much prefer the fitbit app/website to garmins but don't think I can justify buying since I only got the garmin 235 December 2016.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    I have the charge 2 and I am thinking of getting it too
  • FutureDVM2020
    FutureDVM2020 Posts: 23 Member
    I have the charge 2 and I am thinking of getting it too

It sounds fantastic, I'm hoping it lives up to the hype. It has all the things that I wanted in one watch/fitness tracker plus more! It says it ships in 2-3 weeks, can't wait to get it start using it!!
  • stephanie____
    stephanie____ Posts: 2 Member
    You will probably love it! When I got my first Fitbit, I was blown away by how well it syncs with MFP and how fun it is to have data on your activity. I've gotten lazy because sometimes having something on my wrist drives me CRAZY but am about to go back to wearing mine as often as possible. I have the Alta HR because I wanted a thin strap so I would feel it less, but the Ionic looks cool.
  • aylajane
    aylajane Posts: 979 Member
    You can go ahead and set up your fitbit account and link with mfp now, enter weights and manually enter activities while waiting.
  • heybales
    If you are going to do the above and sync with no device - do NOT enable negative calories yet.

Fitbit's rate of burn when there is no device is barely above sleeping level burn, and there is no way you'd be entering all your daily activity done that increases that rate of burn to near realistic.
    So it would NOT be passing on to MFP a better estimate of daily burn that MFP should be correcting itself to.
  • Smoked33
    Smoked33 Posts: 186 Member
    For those wanting the Ionic(yes i'm one but my Blaze is too new to upgrade yet)... I would suggest waiting for at least one software upgrade. I've been reading tech reviews and it sounds buggy much like every version of Windows that was ever released. I'd wait for a software update to fix the bugs and you'll enjoy it more. I understand the Blaze wasn't that great out of the box but now a year later it's awesome (at least to me).
  • FutureDVM2020
    Well, I couldn't wait and have had mine on pre-order for a month now. It will finally be here Tuesday! I'm excited to add an extra bit of activity "consciousness" to my daily life. Also interested to see how my asthma will look using the SpO2 monitor and to see what my sleep patterns are really like. I guess I'll give an update when I finally receive it!!
  • debrag12
    Waiting for mine too.
  • mattyh21
    mattyh21 Posts: 14 Member
    I've been wearing mine now since the 30th on one charge, I really like it! there are a few software issues, it is hard to transfer music to the device from your computer, and the Wallet app didnt seem to work very well at the store. But seriously, everything else has been WONDERFUL! tracks HR accurately, and is spot on for GPS while running. Didnt have to touch the watch and it knew when i stopped and when i started the run. Love the feature.

Seems necessary to post this but i got the orange and blue one. Cant wait to see what kinds of Apps will be available in the future. May have to just write 1 or 2 of my own!
  • debrag12
    Received my Ionic today and I'm loving it so far!
  • FutureDVM2020
    I got mine a few days ago as well. I too got the orange and blue and am loving it. This is my first fitbit so I can't compare it to the others. But I have trained with a Garmin watch in the past and it definitely surpasses that! It is comfortable to wear and not too bulky for me. There are a few software things that will need updates and such, and I haven't had the chance to use all my features yet, but I'm loving it and it is doing what I need it to do so far!!
  • debrag12
    Im not really using the smart watch features so can't talk about those features. It's much better than my garmin though
  • MossiO
    MossiO Posts: 164 Member
    I just got a Fitbit Ionic and it's wonderful--except for one thing. It is greatly inflating the calories burned compared to my Alta.

With the Alta, an average 10k-step day would give me about 350 extra calories. Yesterday I got 12k, and the Ionic gave me 690 more. I know the standard is only add half your exercise calories, but the Alta always felt accurate and I ate all of them. Now it looks like I'll have to start reducing by half since the Ionic seems to be so off.

Otherwise, all the features are great!
  • heybales
    It's likely going to take 2 weeks like normal for it to figure out your body and workout routine for better estimates.
    It may be sections of your daily activity with HR-based calorie burn which is wrong and inflated.

Not sure if you had a prior manually set stride length, and it's back to default now - that could change daily activity aspect too.

So keep watching it, doesn't appear to be exactly 1/2 smaller adjustment needed either, and if those 12K steps had a longer distance for them and they really did in reality - then that could be correct.

What was the distance for those days to compare?
  • MossiO
    heybales wrote: »

12k=5 miles
    10.4k=4.63 miles

So, not a lot of difference. I'm thinking that the Ionic, since it's measuring my heart rate and my Alta didn't, is thinking I'm burning more calories than I am, because it will tell me I'm in "fat burning mode" when I'm sitting at my desk. It's certainly an incentive to get my heart rate a bit lower, but I don't think I'm burning more calories sitting at work!
  • joelschneider45066
    joelschneider45066 Posts: 76 Member
    I have done a number of comparisons with my Ionic to gym equipment and a standard HR monitor we have here in the house, and for me it's pretty close (within 6-10 bpms) ....
  • heybales
    MossiO wrote: »
    heybales wrote: »

12k=5 miles
    10.4k=4.63 miles

So, not a lot of difference. I'm thinking that the Ionic, since it's measuring my heart rate and my Alta didn't, is thinking I'm burning more calories than I am, because it will tell me I'm in "fat burning mode" when I'm sitting at my desk. It's certainly an incentive to get my heart rate a bit lower, but I don't think I'm burning more calories sitting at work!

Then that is exactly what it's learning that I referenced before you can trust the HR-based calorie burn.

The calculations for calories from HR are ONLY for the aerobic exercise range with steady-state same HR for 2-4 min.

Below exercise level, and above aerobic level like anaerobic workouts, or HR bouncing all over the place - will all be inflated calorie burn.

So it should be using step-based calorie burn for all daily activity stuff - that is most accurate (if distance is good estimate).

But during first 2 weeks, it's trying to figure out your restingHR, and the point you seem to go into aerobic exercise.
    Obviously sitting at your desk is not, and therefore by HR calorie burn is badly inflated. (though, you are indeed in fat burning mode, avg about 90% fat burn unless you just ate, but not in aerobic exercise mode)
    It's also getting an idea of how often you workout, to get better estimate on exercise calories based on HR.

So no - these first 2 weeks stick with old figures averages.

0 allowance is obviously not the correct answer either - as you know for sure it's more than 0.
    But watch for those times in your daily graph of steps and calorie burn - and when you notice the times of high calorie burn actually match increased steps, or you know you were working out - then you can start trusting the allowances better.
  • MossiO
    @heybales Thanks! I will keep watching. I do love it otherwise; it's quite motivational.