Anyone have an instant pot??

Looking for more simple vegan recipes that would be great for weightloss. Lately I've been making huge batches that last me for days and it helps me stay on track! Thanks in advance! :)

Replies

• fluter4gsus
    fluter4gsus Posts: 33 Member
    I makes beans often. They are so fast!

I also make this, just sub out for vegetarian options:
    http://www.skinnytaste.com/risotto-is-creamy-italian-rice-dish/

That's all I've done in the IP so far. But I've only been at this for a little while.
  • TxTiffani
    TxTiffani Posts: 766 Member
    I LOVE my instant pot! I mostly make rice (long grain brown rice 2 cups rice/2.25 cups veggie stock on high pressure for 22 minutes and I let it come down to pressure rather than quick release) , beans(1 lb pinto beans and 5.5 cups veggie stock on high for 45 minutes and I let come down to pressure rather than quick release), or potatoes (I quarter my potatoes and use the rack with 1 cup water and cook on high for 11 min and sometimes quick release sometimes not depending on whether I'm busy or dying to eat my potatoes;) and have at least 2 of the 3 in the fridge at all times. I can take out the rice and make veggie 'fried' rice in some vegetable stock, take out the beans and heat up while cooking some corn bread muffins, mix the rice and beans together and add taco seasoning top with avocadoes and eat with tortilla chips or wrap in tortillas or make a taco salad, take out my potatoes and put on some parchment paper and brown under the broiler, heat the potatoes and top with a green veggie and some nutritional yeast (broccoli is my fav). Those are some super quick and easy things we eat at my house a lot.
  • drayesmith
    drayesmith Posts: 4 Member
    I just got an IP but have not used it yet. Thanks for the great ideas.
  • brittdee88
    brittdee88 Posts: 1,935 Member
    I just bought one! I am looking forward to making curries and Caribbean rice dishes the most. I am going to use it for the first this week, so I will definitely post in here after I do!
  • brittdee88
    brittdee88 Posts: 1,935 Member
    rzqqsuwsndiu.jpg

Just used my IP for the first time today to make stewed beass and rice and peas pictured here. SO GOOD!
  • nevadavis1
    nevadavis1 Posts: 339 Member
    I am thinking I want to get one. I eat a lot of beans and chickpeas and buy them canned mostly as cooking in a traditional pot takes a long time. I bought a case of cans of black beans at costco and they just weren't good. They were a little on the hard side for one thing and had a weird sulfur-like after taste. Bleeeeh! I'm thinking I need to start cooking my own.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,878 Member
    nevadavis1 wrote: »
    I am thinking I want to get one. I eat a lot of beans and chickpeas and buy them canned mostly as cooking in a traditional pot takes a long time. I bought a case of cans of black beans at costco and they just weren't good. They were a little on the hard side for one thing and had a weird sulfur-like after taste. Bleeeeh! I'm thinking I need to start cooking my own.

The Instant Pot is amazing for cooking beans (and grains). Super-fast and easy.
  • Charlemagne8
    Charlemagne8 Posts: 4 Member
    nevadavis1 wrote: »

The Instant Pot is amazing for cooking beans (and grains). Super-fast and easy.
    Yes! It definitely pays for itself in terms of time saved, less waste (all those cans!), and convenience. I often make a big pot of chilly for the week, or big batch of chickpeas that I then divide up; I use some for hummus, some in stir fries, or soups or chana masala.

• ImperialFudge
    ImperialFudge Posts: 192 Member
    You can try miso paste. You basically add it to a pan with some water, veggies and noodles, and it makes a yummy broth! And it only takes about 5 minutes!
  • CindyA2268
    CindyA2268 Posts: 21 Member
    Love my IP! I make a ton of soups primarily but also make rice, quinoa, risotto is a snap! Haven’t branched into the bean to much but being allergic to tomatoes makes finding a recipe a real challenge. It’s also great for large batches of oatmeal or groats to have for bfast. Has anyone ever tried making yogurt yet?
  • Kersmudgekins
    Kersmudgekins Posts: 17 Member
    Completely changed my cooking style. Love it! I recommend getting a cookbook with it to get your started. I LOVE my Vegan Under Pressure book. Lots of recipes and cooking charts to get you going.
  • dhnorton
    dhnorton Posts: 47 Member
    I use my for baked potatoes-they come out nice & fluffy. Also make beans a lot in mine (I have a cuisinart version). I used to make my beans in the crockpot but i had to soak them first, doing it this way means I don't have to plan quite so far in advance :D I've also made a mean stew using the brandnewvegan recipe
  • ninalemon
    ninalemon Posts: 58 Member
    I love the IP for beans too. I buy my dry beans 50lbs at a time - it saves so much money! I also buy brown rice in bulk and use it for that.
  • Completely changed my cooking style. Love it! I recommend getting a cookbook with it to get your started. I LOVE my Vegan Under Pressure book. Lots of recipes and cooking charts to get you going.
    Vegan under pressure really is the best cook book! I use it as a reference guide all the time.

• saynogmo
    saynogmo Posts: 22 Member
    I'm going to buy another one I want to in my house I'm an instant pot addict. I mean it is endless what you can do in minutes pea soup Cook's in 12 minutes. If you're a vegan we all know that we have a lot of scraps wash them and save them throw them in the freezer to make your own broth just toss it all in the pot with water and whatever season you want and turn it on for a half hour and then strain and freeze or personally for me I can it in a normal pressure cooker so you will always have vegetable broth on hand and it was free. I do batches of potatoes, rice, beans of every kind and tons and tons of soup
  • JRSINAZ
    JRSINAZ Posts: 159 Member
    I have a 3 quart and 6 quart DUOs. Use them everyday not just for pressure cooking. Steaming, saute', slow cook, boiling too
  • Booksandoceans
    Booksandoceans Posts: 55 Member
    I have a 3 quart one and use it several times a week. My son claims it makes the best potatoes ever! He’s six and very smart. ;) I like how fast and evenly it cooks.