work potluck - need healthy appetizer ideas!

Good morning all! We are having a potluck at work this week. We are a healthcare organization AND I'm trying to watch calories, so I want to bring something fairly healthy. Please give me some ideas!

Replies

• gamerbabe14
    gamerbabe14 Posts: 876 Member
    Mixed veggies...carrots, celery, grapes and hummus to dip.
  • boulank
    boulank Posts: 51 Member
    Fresh Wrap Spring rolls with a Tahini dipping sauce
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Do you have a calorie upper limit? 'Healthy' can mean so many different things, depending on goals. A few ideas:
    • Hummus
    • Mock pate (saute 8 oz green beans, 12 oz sliced mushrooms and an onion in a teaspoon of oil on medium-high; use water as needed to avoid sticking; throw into food processor with 1/4 cup water, 1/4 cup walnut pieces, and salt and pepper to taste). Don't make this too far ahead. After a day or two, the moisture in the vegetables separates and you'll have a pool of water around it.
    • You can bake your own tortilla chips. Spray small tortillas with cooking spray, cut into 8 wedges, sprinkle with salt and/or other seasonings, and bake until crispy.
    • https://www.vegetariantimes.com/recipes/live-spring-rolls-with-lemon-ginger-dipping-sauce

• ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    jennyi27 wrote: »
    Good morning all! We are having a potluck at work this week. We are a healthcare organization AND I'm trying to watch calories, so I want to bring something fairly healthy. Please give me some ideas!

deviled eggs (using a light mayo). (They do have some fat and calories, but at least also have some protein to go with it).
    Note that a lot of the common healthy appetizer items, such as hummus, are pretty high calorie too.
    A lower-fat-content cheese (tasty and high protein) along with a lower calorie cracker (as in saltines versus ritz).
  • otterleee
    otterleee Posts: 6 Member
    I saw a really great idea for a "watermelon pizza" once! Take a whole watermelon and slice it into discs, then cover the discs with garnishes of your choice--suggestions for things like vanilla yogurt for a "sauce" and other fruit slices for toppings, or you could use nuts or granola and even a tiny sprinkle of chocolate chips. Then slice the discs like a pizza and voila, watermelon pizza. :)
  • jennyi27
    jennyi27 Posts: 114 Member
    otterleee wrote: »
    I saw a really great idea for a "watermelon pizza" once! Take a whole watermelon and slice it into discs, then cover the discs with garnishes of your choice--suggestions for things like vanilla yogurt for a "sauce" and other fruit slices for toppings, or you could use nuts or granola and even a tiny sprinkle of chocolate chips. Then slice the discs like a pizza and voila, watermelon pizza. :)

wow that's really creative! i like it!
  • Old_Cat_Lady
    Old_Cat_Lady Posts: 1,193 Member
    Google tomato mozzarella basil bites. Easy to make. Healthy. I cut tomatoes in half. http://allrecipes.com/recipe/104806/tomato-and-mozzarella-bites/
  • jennyi27
    jennyi27 Posts: 114 Member
    Do you have a calorie upper limit? 'Healthy' can mean so many different things, depending on goals. A few ideas:
    • Hummus
    • Mock pate (saute 8 oz green beans, 12 oz sliced mushrooms and an onion in a teaspoon of oil on medium-high; use water as needed to avoid sticking; throw into food processor with 1/4 cup water, 1/4 cup walnut pieces, and salt and pepper to taste). Don't make this too far ahead. After a day or two, the moisture in the vegetables separates and you'll have a pool of water around it.
    • You can bake your own tortilla chips. Spray small tortillas with cooking spray, cut into 8 wedges, sprinkle with salt and/or other seasonings, and bake until crispy.
    • https://www.vegetariantimes.com/recipes/live-spring-rolls-with-lemon-ginger-dipping-sauce

No, I wouldn't say that there is a calorie limit. We are given direction as participants in the potluck to "bring something healthy". Usually that means no cookies, brownies, etc. :-) I just am better when it comes to baking and dessert ideas (hello, sweet tooth!), so I wanted to shake things up and get some fresh ideas for something non-dessert. I get bored with food easily, and I'm sure other lazy folks will bring hummus, guac, etc. Lol!
  • Fitnessgirl0913
    Fitnessgirl0913 Posts: 481 Member
    Zucchini pizzas are pretty good! Sliced zucchini baked with marinara and a little mozzarella (or for me daiya "Cheese" lol). I also love falafel, but instead of deep frying them I buy a mix and bake them. You can find a lot of good easy falafel recipes online too but I am lazy and just go for the mix hahaha.
  • French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    Cold gazpacho
    Hot squash puree soup topped with dollops of Greek yogurt and sprinkled with herbs
    Pulled pork
    Pulled chicken
    sliced pork tenderloin
    Chicken skewers with vinaigrette
    Hot German potato salad
    Hot vinaigrette potato salad
    cucumber salad
    Caprese salad
    bruschetta
    roasted root veggies: potatoes, carrots, parsnips, leeks, butternut squash
    sauteed brussels sprouts with bacon and garlic
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Stuffed tomato, zucchini, peppers or mushrooms
    Vegetables or fruit with a yogurt based dip
    Pickles or olives
    Meatballs or zucchini balls- http://www.skinnytaste.com/zucchini-meatballs_20/
    http://www.skinnytaste.com/party-apps/
    http://allrecipes.com/recipes/1679/healthy-recipes/low-calorie/appetizers/
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    My favorite is Caprese Bites

Cut fresh mozzarella into 1/2" chunks (or buy a packet of BelGioso pearls)
    Cut grape tomatoes in half

Spear 1/2 tomato, 1 piece of cheese, and the other half tomato on a toothpick. Lay on a plate. When the plate is full, chop some fresh basil and sprinkle over. Drizzle a little olive oil and balsamic vinegar over everything and serve.

When I take it somewhere, I do the toothpicks first and cover with plastic wrap, and take the basil and olive oil/balsamic vinegar all mixed up in a container. Shake and drizzle just before serving.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    caprese salad
    stuffed mushroom
    deviled eggs
    baked jalapenos stuffed with pulled pork a little cheese and drizzled with hot sauce
    cherry tomatoes stuffed with tuna or salmon salad
    hummus or goat cheese and crackers
    guacamole, bean dip or salsa and chips
    meatballs
    pulled pork sliders
    finger sandwiches or sandwich spirals (sandwich wrap cut into slices)
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Vegetable sushi might be an option, if you have the equipment.

Sesame-shiitake wonton crisps. Note: Assemble when you're at the potluck or it will get soggy.

For 12 servings:

12 wonton wrappers
    2 tbsp toasted sesame oil
    2 tsp canola or grapeseed oil
    12 shiitake mushrooms, lightly rinsed, patted dry, stemmed, and cut into 1/4" slices. (Note: I am uncoordinated and have a hard time with thin slicing, It's not going to ruin anything if they're thicker.)
    4 snow peas, trimmed and cut crosswise into thin slivers
    1 tsp soy sauce
    1 tbsp lime juice
    1/2 tsp sugar
    1 medium carrot, shredded
    Toasted sesame seeds for garnish, black if available.

Preheat oven to 350. Lightly oil a baking sheet and set aside. Brush wonton wrappers with 1 tbsp of the sesame oil and arrange on baking sheet. Bake until golden brown and crisp, about 5 minutes. (You can also tuck them into mini muffin tins to make cups for the filling. I like this option, personally.)

In a large skillet, heat the canola oil over medium heat. Add mushrooms and cook until softened, 3-5 minutes. Stir in snow peas and soy sauce and cook 30 seconds. Set aside to cool.

In a large bowl, combine lime juice, sugar, and remaining sesame oil. Stir in carrot and cooled shiitake mixture. Top/fill each wonton crisp with a spoonful of the shiitake mixture. Sprinkle with sesame seeds and arrange on a platter to serve.

If you can get jicama, you can slice into 1/4" slices and use as a canape bottom. My cookbook suggests using it for guac, but there may be other options. You will want something about the same consistency as guac, though.
  • busyPK
    busyPK Posts: 3,788 Member
    I'd do a "healthy" spinach artichoke dip (made it before and quite tasty) with celery and chips for those who want that. Deviled eggs is a good idea. My go to is always mixed fruit (berries, pineapple, watermelon, etc. all cut up in a bowl).
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    edited September 2017
    Vegetable sushi might be an option, if you have the equipment.
    yumm..yes. or California rolls (+imitation crab) or Philly rolls (+ cream cheese and smoked salmon). (Don't have to worry about the freshness & handling of raw fish with these ones).

• npane
    npane Posts: 22 Member
    Shrimp and gazpacho shots! Really easy to make.Check Pinterest for healthy appetizer recipes
  • SiegfriedXXL
    SiegfriedXXL Posts: 219 Member
    Cold gazpacho
    Hot squash puree soup topped with dollops of Greek yogurt and sprinkled with herbs
    Pulled pork
    Pulled chicken
    sliced pork tenderloin
    Hot German potato salad
    cucumber salad
    Caprese salad
    bruschetta

Well that settles it. The pot luck needs to be held at the sprawling estate of @French_Peasant.
  • French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    edited September 2017
    Cold gazpacho
    Pulled pork
    Pulled chicken
    sliced pork tenderloin
    Hot German potato salad
    cucumber salad
    Caprese salad
    bruschetta

Well that settles it. The pot luck needs to be held at the sprawling estate of @French_Peasant.

:D

I'd feed y'all gumbo and bread pudding and beer.

ETA: Bananas Foster bread pudding, to be exact. Because healthy. With creme fraiche and caramel sauce.