Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

What are your unpopular opinions about health / fitness?

Replies

• Speziface
    Speziface Posts: 1,687 Member
    mph323 wrote: ยป
    Johnny Garlic's has cherry coke barbecued ribs - mmmmmm! Probably not diet though.

I make boneless, skinless chicken breasts in barbecue sauce using diet cola and ketchup. Brown the chicken in a frying pan, add 1 can of cola and 1 cup ketchup. Turn down the heat and simmer until the sauce thickens and chicken is done.

I'd stir in a tablespoon or so of mustard just for the background notes.

Good idea. I often dump in a splash of cider vinegar to cut the sweetness of the ketchup.

You could always skip the ketchup and just go with canned tomatoes; preferably the kind with some sort of seasoning already added. That would really cut back the sweetness, although if you needed more a little molasses or honey could be added.

Tried it. Doesn't work nearly as well. You need some sweetness to caramelize. It might work if using regular cola instead of diet.

Good point. I always start with the drippings from whatever I'm cooking as a base so I need the ketchup and molasses (or honey or brown sugar or root beer) for the sweetness. Although I'm not above adding some chipotle powder, either.
  • Speziface
    Full fat Coke

is this the new bulletproof coffee? blend some coke with melted butter and mct oil?

I just gagged a little.

I knew people who would crush up hard cinnamon candy and dissolve it into their Cokes. :#
  • Ruatine
    Ruatine Posts: 3,424 Member
    Full fat Coke

is this the new bulletproof coffee? blend some coke with melted butter and mct oil?

I just gagged a little.

I knew people who would crush up hard cinnamon candy and dissolve it into their Cokes. :#

Here in San Antonio it's not unheard of for people to put peanuts in a bottle of Coke. Not sure where that originated, but you won't catch me doing it. :sick:
  • Speziface
    edited September 2017
    Full fat Coke

I just gagged a little.

Here in San Antonio it's not unheard of for people to put peanuts in a bottle of Coke. Not sure where that originated, but you won't catch me doing it. :sick:

It's a Deep South thing, but not something I ever understood. But there's a salty/sweet thing going with it that I do like. I tried it but prefer to just wash the peanuts down.

• earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    mph323 wrote: ยป
    Johnny Garlic's has cherry coke barbecued ribs - mmmmmm! Probably not diet though.

I make boneless, skinless chicken breasts in barbecue sauce using diet cola and ketchup. Brown the chicken in a frying pan, add 1 can of cola and 1 cup ketchup. Turn down the heat and simmer until the sauce thickens and chicken is done.

I'd stir in a tablespoon or so of mustard just for the background notes.

Good idea. I often dump in a splash of cider vinegar to cut the sweetness of the ketchup because it has magical properties.

FIFY

Thank you. I messed that one up.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    drinking a diet coke right now, am I going to die or have a heart attack?

Diet coke is garbage

You should be drinking coke zero instead

Nah, Coke No Sugar is where it's at. Does the US have that yet? We're now up to three sugar free Cokes in NZ, not counting caffeine-free, vanilla, etc. Ingredients in Zero and No Sugar exactly the same except for preservative (in the Zero). Somehow, the No Sugar is actually closer to real Coke (I think, really need to do side by side taste tests of all three). More sweetener maybe? Guess I will just die sooner...

• TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Full fat Coke

Nah. It's just the Brit (and I think Aussie, too - maybe other places, as well) way of saying "non-diet" soda. Had me confused the first few times I saw/heard it.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    No but you really should be drinking Coke Zero.

Diet coke is garbage

Beat me to it.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Full fat Coke

Nah. It's just the Brit (and I think Aussie, too - maybe other places, as well) way of saying "non-diet" soda. Had me confused the first few times I saw/heard it.

Ha, never occurred to me people wouldn't get that vernacular.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member

Diet coke is garbage

Nah, Coke No Sugar is where it's at. Does the US have that yet? We're now up to three sugar free Cokes in NZ, not counting caffeine-free, vanilla, etc. Ingredients in Zero and No Sugar exactly the same except for preservative (in the Zero). Somehow, the No Sugar is actually closer to real Coke (I think, really need to do side by side taste tests of all three). More sweetener maybe? Guess I will just die sooner...

Coke Zero has officially been replaced by Coke Zero Sugar here.
    I was highly skeptical but believe it or not, they actually improved the taste and got even closer to actual Coke.
  • Nony_Mouse

Diet coke is garbage

I was highly skeptical but believe it or not, they actually improved the taste and got even closer to actual Coke.

Yeah, weirdly we're apparently keeping Zero, along with the No Sugar (which lives right beside the normal coke on the shelf, and the only distinguishing thing on the label is a black band at the top).

Annoyingly, the pizza place has both Zero and No Sugar, but No Sugar is thus far only available in a two for one taste test pack with ordinary coke (and a free eye mask).
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member

Diet coke is garbage

They're replacing coke zero with the no sugar coke here in Australia.... I think the no sugar version is minging (because it tastes more like coke). Diet for me! (diet vanilla preferably - when I can find it!)
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member

Diet coke is garbage

I think it's called Coke Zero Sugar here, which seemed a stupid name change to me. (There was an ad for it before the movie I saw last weekend.)

I hate Coke Zero (unlike Diet Coke, which is tasty), so do not plan to try it. I'm stuck in my ways!
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,953 Member

Diet coke is garbage

They're replacing coke zero with the no sugar coke here in Australia.... I think the no sugar version is minging (because it tastes more like coke). Diet for me! (diet vanilla preferably - when I can find it!)

They're phasing out Coke Zero apparently, but may have issues because Woolies is refusing to even stock the No Sugar one.
  • Nony_Mouse

Diet coke is garbage

They're phasing out Coke Zero apparently, but may have issues because Woolies is refusing to even stock the No Sugar one.

Bahahahaha! But, why?

And interesting that the US and Aus are phasing out Zero, and NZ is steadfastly going with having both. We do like to move to the beat of our own drum, though.

Also, Google tells me I was right about No Sugar having more sweetener than Zero, hence why it's closer to Classic in taste.
This discussion has been closed.