Sober September 2017

Replies

• SweatsOnSunday
    SweatsOnSunday Posts: 514 Member
    @DCRunnerGirl78 But as kryptonite goes, craft beers are a pretty good weakness. And there are certainly enough to choose from living in DC.
  • redwngs13
    redwngs13 Posts: 194 Member
    I've just found this thread (I don't come on the forums much). My husband and I have made the decision to go dry in September, so this thread will be a great support for me! Feel free to send a friend request my way. My goal is to abstain the entire month, with the exception of the weekend of Sept 15-16 when I have a weekend getaway planned. So far so good! I haven't had any alcohol since August 27. My drink of choice is craft beer, and I know it has been one of the biggest reasons I haven't made progress with my fitness goals this year. I haven't seen any real progress in weight-loss since May.
  • theclaw900
    theclaw900 Posts: 320 Member
    Been on the thread here but failing miserably. Why is getting the first day under your belt so hard?
  • FredKing1
    FredKing1 Posts: 98 Member
    theclaw900 wrote: »
    Been on the thread here but failing miserably. Why is getting the first day under your belt so hard?
    It's a habit, maybe an addiction. It is very hard to change - I tried and tried and am still trying - I'll only fail if I stop trying. I'm in my second month of abstinence. I've had other periods from three minutes to three months. A huge motivation came together with an opportunity. Over the past several years, I've read several books about people who quit. Consistent reading, a few minutes each day (this thread may help) changes my subconscious attitude toward alcohol. It seems to help. e.g. "I Need to Stop Drinking" Liz Hemingway; "This Naked Mind" Annie Grace. I wouldn't discount the notion of talking to a professional counselor if that's what it takes.
  • JLatham325
    JLatham325 Posts: 105 Member
    Ok today is Friday! The start of when things get hard for me to resist each weekend. But I'm optimistic :)

A few notes:
    -I plan on getting flavored sparkling waters tonight to sip on during our "movie & treat night" tonight, instead of killing a bottle of wine like I typically do while perusing Netflix.

-I came across "The 5 Second Rule" by Mel Robbins on YouTube and Audible, and it's simple yet super effective so far. Yesterday the method helped me restrain from eating the cookies in my office that a coworker brought in (after wine, baked goods are my biggest weakness), so I'm going to try to utilize the method this weekend with booze as well! Look it up and see if you can implement it too!
  • whitpauly
    whitpauly Posts: 1,483 Member
    Weekend upon us,hope everyone gets through with their goals in place
  • trishfit2014
    trishfit2014 Posts: 304 Member
    JLatham325 wrote: »
    Ok today is Friday! The start of when things get hard for me to resist each weekend. But I'm optimistic :)

A few notes:
    -I plan on getting flavored sparkling waters tonight to sip on during our "movie & treat night" tonight, instead of killing a bottle of wine like I typically do while perusing Netflix.

-I came across "The 5 Second Rule" by Mel Robbins on YouTube and Audible, and it's simple yet super effective so far. Yesterday the method helped me restrain from eating the cookies in my office that a coworker brought in (after wine, baked goods are my biggest weakness), so I'm going to try to utilize the method this weekend with booze as well! Look it up and see if you can implement it too![/quo

I looked up "The 5 Second Rule" which I found very motivational. Thanks for posting. I am doing good so far.
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Well, I've already slipped up.

My mom called yesterday, and that's all it took to derail me. My husband and I took custody of my nephew last year after my sister died unexpectedly. He was 17 at the time, failing school, obnoxious and ungrateful. We gave him every opportunity we have our own kids, were as patient with him as we could be, and got him through to graduation (finishing the year on the honor roll), and enlisted into the Army. However, he then went out to spend the time between the end of the school year and the start of boot camp with my mom. He told her, and all of the family out there, how we neglected him, wouldn't take him anywhere or buy him anything, and ignored him over our own kids. That entire side of the family isn't speaking to us now. Every time I talk to my mom at this point she has to bring him up in some passive aggressive sort of way that let's me know she thinks I'm selfish and he can do no wrong.

I've gained 20 lbs over the last year. I'm exercising more (running and cycling are my therapy), but my alcohol intake has sky rocketed (craft beers are my Kryptonite). That's definitely the problem in my diet right now. Sorry to have vented, but it does feel better knowing I'm not the only one with this problem. Tomorrow is another day and another chance to make better decisions.

I think the army will do wonders for him! Don't hold your breath, but I suspect this teenager will probably come and thank you one day. Anger is one of the stages of grief. It sounds like he's angry at you for surviving, maybe his mom for passing, and possibly even himself.

It's too bad your mom is believing his side, especially under the circumstances.

• PurpleLavender77
    PurpleLavender77 Posts: 201 Member
    theclaw900 wrote: »

Just being here and being aware you want to make a change is a good step.

If you can't cut it out completely, try reducing. Instead of two a day, start doing one a day.

Baby steps. There are a ton of resources out there about quitting drinking for a reason. Millions of people struggle. You are not alone and you CAN do this.