Do you feel your size?

Replies

• jdlobb
    jdlobb Posts: 1,232 Member
    jdlobb wrote: »
    Yep. I feel every unwanted ounce of fat on my disgusting body.

Dude. Your body isn't disgusting, it's a body, it's functional, praise it's abilities more.

Nah. It's gross
  • Wiggymommy
    Wiggymommy Posts: 106 Member
    I think it depends on what you were for a majority of time. Was your friend heavier for many years? Her mind could be stuck thinking she's still heavy because she was for so long. You maybe the opposite because perhaps you were a healthy weight most of your life and heavier for just a few years? I'm 31 and have only been out of a healthy bmi for 6 years so I too felt like I was way smaller than where I was. I think our mind just gets stuck at whatever we were at for the longest. That's just my personal experience though.
  • mlrtri
    mlrtri Posts: 425 Member
    Although I almost always feel like the smaller self I spent most of my life as I ALWAYS feel like an elephant when buying clothes.... and that feeling lasts for days. Then I don't want to go shopping ever again so I end up wearing rags. Then I end up not feeling good about myself. Then I treat myself to some food. Then I gain weight and HAVE to buy bigger clothes. Then I feel bad..... I AM breaking this depressing cycle. And I can't wait to go clothes shopping and enjoy it!!! (Think I veered off topic a bit).
  • kimothy38
    kimothy38 Posts: 840 Member
    Fat photos of myself totally gross me out - all my unhappiness on display. Some days I feel awesome and slim and other times I still feel fat. I naturally gravitate to larger size clothing still which is normally too big when I try it on - that makes me realize my thoughts and reality aren't quite aligned.
  • michael1976_ca
    michael1976_ca Posts: 3,488 Member
    yes every time I step in front of the big mirror
  • mlrtri
    edited September 2017
    I avoid getting my picture taken because I am slapped in the face with reality of my size. My husband told me that one day our kids will want pics of me and of me with them. That was just one of the many pieces that came together to make me realize I need to do this and I can't put it off (again, off topic and it's my own post/question)
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    mlrtri wrote: »
    I avoid getting my picture taken because I am slapped in the face with reality of my size. My husband told me that one day our kids will want pics of me and of me with them. That was just one of the many pieces that came together to make me realize I need to do this and I can't put it off (again, off topic and it's my own post/question)

Be kind to yourself. I'm the same way you are - recently after losing a bunch of weight I looked for a before photo and found that the most recent photos I have of myself are from my 10th anniversary trip. I've been married twenty five years. That was my life! And there's no record of it because I felt too fat and ugly in photos. I remember that I thought I was fat in the 10th anniversary photos too, but my husband insisted, and I'm glad he did. And I looked so beautiful back then, even being overweight! I feel a great tenderness and pity for my younger self, I wish I could talk to her and tell her not to be so uptight.

Definitely get cracking - for the sake of your health so you will be around a long time, among other reasons - and make some changes, but in the meantime, try to see yourself through the eyes of your husband and children, who love you. The person you are today is worth taking photos of. You are beautiful in the eyes of those who love you at every weight.
  • KyleGrace8
    KyleGrace8 Posts: 2,205 Member
    My self image is a fun house mirror.
  • Vikka_V
    Vikka_V Posts: 9,563 Member
    mlrtri wrote: »
    I am just starting out so I am still bigger than I should be. But I feel like a small person who just happens to be lugging around 60 extra lbs. I am shocked when I look at pictures of myself. I have a very distorted picture in my head. I think that is why it took me so long to finally realize I had to get serious.

I was talking to a friend that lost a lot of weight years ago. She said she still feels like an obese person even though she is not anymore. She said she doesn't think she will ever get over it.

So I was wandering if we are the only crazy ones out there or if other people feel differently than they look.

Do you feel your size (large/small/anything in between)?

I know I am small but I guess I don't have an accurate perspective of my own size because I can feel fat or skinny from moment to moment.

• GemstoneofHeart
    GemstoneofHeart Posts: 865 Member
    It changes all the time for me. I grew up skinny thinking I was fat. Then I got fat and thought I was so skinny. When I was my heaviest I thought I looked so good in the mirror. Then I'd see a picture and I would be in shock.

Now I've lost 40 pounds and sometimes I feel thin and sometimes I feel fat. Depends on what I'm wearing and the angle now. Hopefully after losing my last 30 pounds I'll be more consistent and feel thin all the time. Who knows!
  • jdlobb
    jdlobb Posts: 1,232 Member
    I'm being objectified!!
  • stillnot2late
    stillnot2late Posts: 385 Member
    I feel larger. I will never get over it, 68 years old snd still cant get over the fat feeling. I still have 20 to go
  • WanderingRivers
    WanderingRivers Posts: 612 Member
    jdlobb wrote: »
    Yep. I feel every unwanted ounce of fat on my disgusting body.

Same. I hate how much I look.
  • SomebodyWakeUpHIcks
    SomebodyWakeUpHIcks Posts: 3,836 Member
    edited September 2017
    No
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,793 Member
    No, but she did.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    I've been lean and fit most of my life and then I graduated college at 30 and took a professional desk job. At first I just put on a little weight and it wasn't a big deal really, but then it got a little out of hand...I actually didn't really notice and always just felt like I had put on a little "adult" weight and still felt like I was pretty lean and fit until my wife started raising concerns about my weight and whatnot...the kicker was going to the doctor and coming out with some really bad blood work in addition to him telling me I was officially obese, not just overweight...that was about 5 years ago and I'm back to where I was in my 20s.
  • mlrtri
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I've been lean and fit most of my life and then I graduated college at 30 and took a professional desk job. At first I just put on a little weight and it wasn't a big deal really, but then it got a little out of hand...I actually didn't really notice and always just felt like I had put on a little "adult" weight and still felt like I was pretty lean and fit until my wife started raising concerns about my weight and whatnot...the kicker was going to the doctor and coming out with some really bad blood work in addition to him telling me I was officially obese, not just overweight...that was about 5 years ago and I'm back to where I was in my 20s.

That's wonderful! That's great that you took your blood results and health seriously.
  • JeepHair77
    JeepHair77 Posts: 1,291 Member
    No. I have always, always felt bigger than I am. I remember feeling fat and awkward in high school, even though I was probably underweight. I definitely suffer from body dysmorphia, but I've never had an eating disorder or otherwise been unhealthy about it. I know, in my head, that I'm thin. I know my weight and I know my dress size and I know my BMI and approximate BF% and logically, I know that I'm much "smaller" than the average woman.

But when I look in the mirror, I think I look big.