Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

What are your unpopular opinions about health / fitness?

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    Everyone can make time to be more active. Literally everyone. You don't have to set aside a specific block of time and grind it out on the treadmill if that's not your thing. You could walk/bike to work instead of driving. You could go for a walk on your lunch break instead of being sedentary. You could stand at your desk and do squats, for goodness sake. Lack of time is an excuse that really means "this isn't a priority for me."

you are correct but sometimes you can't make it a priority to exercise...this whole "what's your excuse " BS is exactly that...BS...and this coming from someone who exercises a lot.

Exercise is a choice and isn't required to lose weight...or be healthy even...it's a requirement to be fit.

I'm not sure it's fair to say exercise isn't required to be healthy. Sure at a given point in time you could be healthy and not exercising, but over time being sedentary can lead to as many health problems as being overweight.

no where in my post do I say sedentary but exercise is not a requirement to be healthy.

movement is a good thing but purposeful exercise is not a requirement for health...
  • SezxyStef
    J72FIT wrote: »
    Everyone can make time to be more active. Literally everyone. You don't have to set aside a specific block of time and grind it out on the treadmill if that's not your thing. You could walk/bike to work instead of driving. You could go for a walk on your lunch break instead of being sedentary. You could stand at your desk and do squats, for goodness sake. Lack of time is an excuse that really means "this isn't a priority for me."

you are correct but sometimes you can't make it a priority to exercise...this whole "what's your excuse " BS is exactly that...BS...and this coming from someone who exercises a lot.

Exercise is a choice and isn't required to lose weight...or be healthy even...it's a requirement to be fit.

Personally I don't go for the all or nothing mentality. As life changes so do one's priorities. I believe in keeping a top 5 list. The top 5 may change their order but they will generally be up there...

I don't either...and I think that priorities are a fluid thing as well.

Mine change...I used to garden a lot and pickle..it was a priority...not so much now...top 10 but eh.

Exercise top 5...but it might slip down the list it would depend on the circumstance
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member

I'm not sure it's fair to say exercise isn't required to be healthy. Sure at a given point in time you could be healthy and not exercising, but over time being sedentary can lead to as many health problems as being overweight.

no where in my post do I say sedentary but exercise is not a requirement to be healthy.

movement is a good thing but purposeful exercise is not a requirement for health...

*shrug* tomato tomahto. Activity is exercise. If you aren't getting it you are sedentary.
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    J72FIT wrote: »

Personally I don't go for the all or nothing mentality. As life changes so do one's priorities. I believe in keeping a top 5 list. The top 5 may change their order but they will generally be up there...

I don't either...and I think that priorities are a fluid thing as well.

Mine change...I used to garden a lot and pickle..it was a priority...not so much now...top 10 but eh.

Exercise top 5...but it might slip down the list it would depend on the circumstance

I don't even consider exercise something that is subject to re-prioritizing in my life, it is mandatory, like showering, brushing my teeth, clipping my nails, etc. The priorities within my exercise program (the types of exercises that I do) has and will change as my goals and capabilities change.
  • SezxyStef
    edited September 2017

*shrug* tomato tomahto. Activity is exercise. If you aren't getting it you are sedentary.

not in the context of my post...your way is a simplification and imo is faulty. Sedentary is too much time seated....but you don't need to exercise to not be sedentary.

ex·er·cise
    ˈeksərˌsīz/Submit
    noun
    activity requiring physical effort, carried out especially to sustain or improve health and fitness.

I can be active by having a job as a waitress, postal carrier...doesn't mean I am unhealthy because I go home and don't exercise...

I can be active as a desk jockey too by taking the stairs or going to an office instead of emailing...but that is not exercise

again...you don't need to exercise to be healthy.
  • Need2Exerc1se

not in the context of my post...your way is a simplification and imo is faulty. Sedentary is too much time seated....but you don't need to exercise to not be sedentary.

ex·er·cise
    ˈeksərˌsīz/Submit
    noun
    activity requiring physical effort, carried out especially to sustain or improve health and fitness.

I can be active by having a job as a waitress, postal carrier...doesn't mean I am unhealthy because I go home and don't exercise...

I can be active as a desk jockey too by taking the stairs or going to an office instead of emailing...but that is not exercise

Agree to disagree

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/exercise

Definition of exercise
    2 a : regular or repeated use of a faculty or bodily organ
  • French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member

ex·er·cise
    ˈeksərˌsīz/Submit
    noun

The original post to which you had responded specified activity, not exercise; I thing the change-up in terms had muddied the discussion a bit.
  • SezxyStef

ex·er·cise
    ˈeksərˌsīz/Submit
    noun

Agree to disagree

Definition of exercise

or 2b
    a : regular or repeated use of a faculty or bodily organ
    b : bodily exertion for the sake of developing and maintaining physical fitness trying to get more exercise
  • SezxyStef

ex·er·cise
    ˈeksərˌsīz/Submit
    noun

The original post to which you had responded specified activity, not exercise; I thing the change-up in terms had muddied the discussion a bit.

The original post actually reference specific exercises such as being on a treadmill...walking/biking to work or squats at your desk...

and the only thing that muddies things is people trying to be too generic. Specifics are never cloudy.
  • Need2Exerc1se

ex·er·cise
    ˈeksərˌsīz/Submit
    noun

Agree to disagree

Definition of exercise

or 2b
    b : bodily exertion for the sake of developing and maintaining physical fitness trying to get more exercise

Exactly. tomato tomahto
  • SezxyStef

ex·er·cise
    ˈeksərˌsīz/Submit
    noun

Agree to disagree

Definition of exercise

or 2b

Exactly. tomato tomahto

smh...not really but fine you can do your thing

Active does not always = exercise.
    no exercise <>sedentary

so yah we will have to leave this alone.
This discussion has been closed.