Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

What are your unpopular opinions about health / fitness?

Replies

• Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    J72FIT wrote: »
    Everyone can make time to be more active. Literally everyone. You don't have to set aside a specific block of time and grind it out on the treadmill if that's not your thing. You could walk/bike to work instead of driving. You could go for a walk on your lunch break instead of being sedentary. You could stand at your desk and do squats, for goodness sake. Lack of time is an excuse that really means "this isn't a priority for me."

you are correct but sometimes you can't make it a priority to exercise...this whole "what's your excuse " BS is exactly that...BS...and this coming from someone who exercises a lot.

Exercise is a choice and isn't required to lose weight...or be healthy even...it's a requirement to be fit.

Personally I don't go for the all or nothing mentality. As life changes so do one's priorities. I believe in keeping a top 5 list. The top 5 may change their order but they will generally be up there...

I don't either...and I think that priorities are a fluid thing as well.

Mine change...I used to garden a lot and pickle..it was a priority...not so much now...top 10 but eh.

Exercise top 5...but it might slip down the list it would depend on the circumstance

What you put time into is where your true priorities can be found...

okay...but not so much.

example highest priority for me is to spend time with my husband...but with his work schedule I don't get the time...but when I do it's devoted to him....(he works 12 hour shifts and a lot of OT)

But in that vein...when he's available, you're spending all that available time with him because that's your top priority.
  • annaskiski
    annaskiski Posts: 1,212 Member
    Full fat Coke

is this the new bulletproof coffee? blend some coke with melted butter and mct oil?

LOL, this is British for non-diet soda.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,958 Member
    Everyone can make time to be more active. Literally everyone. You don't have to set aside a specific block of time and grind it out on the treadmill if that's not your thing. You could walk/bike to work instead of driving. You could go for a walk on your lunch break instead of being sedentary. You could stand at your desk and do squats, for goodness sake. Lack of time is an excuse that really means "this isn't a priority for me."

you are correct but sometimes you can't make it a priority to exercise...this whole "what's your excuse " BS is exactly that...BS...and this coming from someone who exercises a lot.

Exercise is a choice and isn't required to lose weight...or be healthy even...it's a requirement to be fit.

Personally I don't go for the all or nothing mentality. As life changes so do one's priorities. I believe in keeping a top 5 list. The top 5 may change their order but they will generally be up there...

Mine change...I used to garden a lot and pickle..it was a priority...not so much now...top 10 but eh.

Exercise top 5...but it might slip down the list it would depend on the circumstance

okay...but not so much.

example highest priority for me is to spend time with my husband...but with his work schedule I don't get the time...but when I do it's devoted to him....(he works 12 hour shifts and a lot of OT)

So that's your priority. Nothing wrong with that...
  • J72FIT
    edited September 2017
    Carlos_421 wrote: »

okay...but not so much.

But in that vein...when he's available, you're spending all that available time with him because that's your top priority.

Exactly. It's the same for me. My son and my wife (my family) are my #1 priority. Fitness is in my top 5 but it is not number 1. I do not feel bad about the either.

My top 5 are Family, fitness, career, music (I am a guitar player in a cover band) and friendships.
    The order is fluid and changes depending on what my life is like...
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member

okay...but not so much.

Exactly. It's the same for me. My son and my wife (my family) are my #1 priority. Fitness is in my top 5 but it is not number 1. I do not feel bad about the either.

My top 5 are Family, fitness, career, music (I am a guitar player in a cover band) and friendships.

Mine are hard to describe as i know I need to be healthy to be with family in my fullest capacity..so my health is my top priority but time spent with my husband/family is equally important.

I am lucky that we as a family are a fitness crew (thanks to me really) so a lot of our time is doing healthy things like yesterday my sister and I with my husband went for a walk (5 miles) .

I just think people need to understand that fitness is important but this whole "what's your excuse?" is fitness shaming for some (I know I know)and motivation for others and that as a society need to just accept others do them we do us and let it go.
  • J72FIT

okay...but not so much.

Mine are hard to describe as i know I need to be healthy to be with family in my fullest capacity..so my health is my top priority but time spent with my husband/family is equally important.

I am lucky that we as a family are a fitness crew (thanks to me really) so a lot of our time is doing healthy things like yesterday my sister and I with my husband went for a walk (5 miles) .

I just think people need to understand that fitness is important but this whole "what's your excuse?" is fitness shaming for some (I know I know)and motivation for others and that as a society need to just accept others do them we do us and let it go.

I tend to think that people who say that don't exercise, eat and or live the way they "say" they do. I personally don't trust anyone that "perfect..."
  • J72FIT

okay...but not so much.

Exactly. Sometimes my excuse is "I don't feel like it", and it's a perfectly valid one. I don't feel inferior for choosing not to exercise sometimes because in a particular event I judge "not exercising" higher on my happiness scale (which is very high on my list of priorities - I like and deserve to be happy and I'm not going to apologize for it). Others can see me as inferior all they want for choosing to occasionally skip a workout, exercise for extra food, not stick to my calories 100% of the time, or any number of non-perfect things that provide me with short term happiness without jeopardizing my long term happiness.

^^^100%
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,257 Member
    Oh I hate what's your excuse so much. It's annoying and reeks superiority. A few of us had an argument a while back with someone who said everybody should exercise because she was able to when she had her leg in a cast. It's like the people who say I was able to get up and walk right after major surgery so everybody can. Nope. Everyone is different. Doesn't make me weak or a bad person. I could do more than I am doing yes but I am an exercise addict and I know I would do too much and get a hernia and injure myself which isn't good since my body is still healing. This doesn't make me inferior to you.

Comparison is the thief of joy.
  • scythianlady
    scythianlady Posts: 12 Member

How so?

I'm vegetarian, have been for over 20 years. I'm pretty darn healthy. It's not difficult to meet your nutritional requirements being vegetarian or vegan, though yes, some research to ensure you're doing that is always a good idea (though a nutrition class is OTT). Pretty sure you can also be a low carb vegan safely.

You can also raise children as vegans quite safely, so long as you are aware of meeting nutritional needs, so no need to call social services just because you disagree with someone else's ethical beliefs.

Cats, on the other hand, should never, ever be made to be vegan. They are obligate carnivores. If you don't want to feed your cat meat, don't get one.[/quote]

What would a low carb vegan eat? No sarcasm here. I am genuinely curious.

Calling social services was a bit of hyperbole on my part. I also find it interesting that you immediately jumped to veganism being an ethical decision. I think vegans take up their lifestyles for the most noble reasons, I just don't think it is nutrionaly sound. There are ways to make an omnivorous diet environmentally sustainable as well as humane.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    I'm not the PP, but seitan and tofu are both lowish in carbs. Edamame and black soybeans could also be added to the mix. Add some fats like avocado, nuts and seeds, and low-carb veggies.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    edited September 2017

How so?

I'm vegetarian, have been for over 20 years. I'm pretty darn healthy. It's not difficult to meet your nutritional requirements being vegetarian or vegan, though yes, some research to ensure you're doing that is always a good idea (though a nutrition class is OTT). Pretty sure you can also be a low carb vegan safely.

You can also raise children as vegans quite safely, so long as you are aware of meeting nutritional needs, so no need to call social services just because you disagree with someone else's ethical beliefs.

Cats, on the other hand, should never, ever be made to be vegan. They are obligate carnivores. If you don't want to feed your cat meat, don't get one.
    What would a low carb vegan eat? No sarcasm here. I am genuinely curious.

Calling social services was a bit of hyperbole on my part. I also find it interesting that you immediately jumped to veganism being an ethical decision. I think vegans take up their lifestyles for the most noble reasons, I just don't think it is nutrionaly sound. There are ways to make an omnivorous diet environmentally sustainable as well as humane.

Not vegan, but tofu, tempeh, pea protein powder off the top of my head for protein. There are likely other things, but since I don't eat them, I don't know their macros. Leafy greens are low carb. Of course it depends how low we're talking. The low carbers tell me I'd be classed as low carb, so if I subbed out my massive amounts of dairy for non animal proteins, and was willing to drop my protein intake (which is well above standard minimum requirements), I think it would be plenty doable.

As to why I 'jumped' to veganism being an ethical decision, that's simply because that is still probably the primary reason why people choose it. Or at least it was, before crappy documentaries like 'What the Health'.

You still haven't answered why you don't think vegetarianisn/veganism are nutritionally sound. Can't really debate something if all you'll say is 'because I don't'.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    I'm not the PP, but seitan and tofu are both lowish in carbs. Edamame and black soybeans could also be added to the mix. Add some fats like avocado, nuts and seeds, and low-carb veggies.

Thanks, I wasn't sure about seitan, cos never tried it (at least knowingly), and now my body won't let me :'(
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    One of my nieces is vegan and has been since she was a teenager. She runs marathons (as in two or three a month). Before children she and her husband (who is vegetarian because cheese) through-hiked the Pacific Crest trail from one end to the other. She's the healthiest one in our entire family.
This discussion has been closed.