Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Weigh in day - yes/no....

xionax
xionax Posts: 19 Member
How important is weigh in for you? I know everyone is different some people are daily some people are weekly etc.
I weigh myself weekly (it doesn't really bother me what the scales say though) it's what my clothes look/feel like that keep me motivated.
What about you?

Replies

• jdlobb
    jdlobb Posts: 1,232 Member
    I weigh myself daily, but I consider saturday morning to be my "baseline." I try to replicate the same conditions regarding food, restroom use, and hydration as closely as possible every friday evening to saturday morning in order to get comparable weight and BF measurements. So far it's been effective.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    I also weigh in daily to get a feel for how I'm doing. But the only time that 'counts' is Sunday AM, right after using the bathroom. Normally, I don't care what time I eat, but I find I do try to stop a little earlier on a Saturday night, knowing that I'll be weighing in shortly.
  • clicketykeys
    clicketykeys Posts: 6,568 Member
    I weigh a few times daily, but the one I write on my chart is when I first get up. Weighing at other times while being consistent with my chart has helped me see how other elements affect the number on the scale. I like data!
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Every day is weigh-in day :D
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    I weigh at least a few times a week or every day if I can...and I use a trend weight app
  • Tweaking_Time
    Tweaking_Time Posts: 733 Member
    Every day after morning potty.

My trigger weights are as follows:
    • 3 pounds up from goal, or less - don't care.
    • 4 pounds up from goal - let's see what tomorrows weigh in does
    • 5 pounds up from goal - time to get serious again for 7 to 10 days.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Weigh daily. Weigh and take measurements (shoulders, waist, neck, arm, chest and thigh) once a week...
  • shaunshaikh
    shaunshaikh Posts: 616 Member
    I like to weigh in daily, so I can see the scatter of my weigh ins and analyze the trends. I worry that if I just weighed in once a week, it would be harder to see through the noise, so it might feel like I'm stalling when I'm not and I could get discouraged. I guess it just depends on your psychology. I don't treat weight as a be-all end-all metric of weight loss. I'm more focused on fat loss. I pair weighing myself with progress pictures and measurements. However, I know some people are neurotic about changes in the scale and are slaves to it.

19fczdoyjdom.png
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    jdlobb wrote: »
    I weigh myself daily, but I consider saturday morning to be my "baseline."

Same here, except it's Monday, and I will skip a day here or there these days (when I was losing it was basically every day, since I was training myself not to overreact to the scale).

I find it very important for maintenance. I find learning about fluctuations important in general.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    J72FIT wrote: »
    Weigh daily. Weigh and take measurements (shoulders, waist, neck, arm, chest and thigh) once a week...

I generally do my measurements once a month. If there are 5 Sundays in that month (since Sunday is my weigh-in day, it's just more convenient to get out the tape measure right after that), I may do Sundays 1 and 5 instead and then skip the next month altogether. It basically depends on whether the weigh-in was disappointing*. If it was, confirming a few more inches have gone helps me feel less annoyed.

*Yeah, yeah, weight loss isn't linear. Water weight, TOM, etc. It still gets me a little annoyed when I know I was weighing and logging and the scale doesn't reflect it when I want it to. But at least I'm past drowning my annoyance in ice cream...
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    I weigh in everyday to see what's going on. Just another data point to analyse along with intake, output, BF%, etc.
  • IsabeausRose
    IsabeausRose Posts: 129 Member
    I used to be obsessed with the scale and a bad weigh in would really ruin my day. It was an all or nothing thing with me. Weigh myself daily or not touch the scale for months. I had to decide what was reasonable and healthy and not considered obsessive. So now I weigh once a week on Mondays. I go more now on how my body feels when I run my hands over it. Like if my stomach is flatter or poofier for example. Don't rely so much on measurements either because that's just another number to obsess about.
  • SmithsonianEmpress
    SmithsonianEmpress Posts: 1,163 Member
    I weigh myself on the 1st of every month. That's what works for me. I don't care to see the variance in between. It has drove me crazy in the past.
  • witchywoman167
    witchywoman167 Posts: 13 Member
    I weigh myself usually once a day or every 2 days. But when I weigh on Sunday, I take my measurements too.
  • haviegirl
    haviegirl Posts: 230 Member
    I weigh in daily. I have the Aria (Fitbit) scale, which sends the reading to the Fitbit app and calculates a weekly average. Those averages are what I pay attention to.

Yes, this is easy math and no one needs a fancy scale and app to do these calculations for them. But I love me some convenience. :)
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    I weigh in every single day but think about my weight very little. It's just a number for me to log.
  • Calichusetts
    Calichusetts Posts: 100 Member
    Daily weigh in. Does help to see how foods and liquid affect you personally.