Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Does your doctor comment on your weight?

Replies

• R_is_for_Rachel
    R_is_for_Rachel Posts: 381 Member
    She said that her answer would be mostly "No." When I asked her why she explained that being a doctor is a business and if she would critique each patients weight, she is sure she would lose patients, especially the easily offended ones.

bizarre! i'm a dental hygienist and rely on pts returning too as i get paid per patient.....imagine though if your dental hygienist didn't tell you had gum disease or bad breath in case you might be offended?! quite rightly i could be sued for not letting you know...so why would a Dr not discuss being overweight!

i've had 2 types of Dr over the years, ones who would tell me i was overweight-even wen i was slim and then the GP who said he wasn't going to tell me off because he was a heavy smoker and we all die anyway! lol
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    No. Even when I was overweight my doctor didn't comment on it. I assume because I was healthy. She commented when I lost weight by asking if it was on purpose.
  • During my last visit to my doctor she mentioned my weight and that it is something I need to work on. This is something I was already aware of, and something I wanted to work on...hearing it from a medical professional only solidified that in me. Hopefully when I see her in a few months she will be happy with my progress.

Honestly, I will never understand people getting upset at their doctor for talking to them about their weight...they are medical professionals...it's literally their job to be in your business when it comes to your health. If you are overweight and unhealthy, like I have been the last few years, then they need to mention it to help prolong your life.

You don't cry and get upset when a mechanic tells you your car needs work...or a plumber tells you something is wrong with your pipes. It is their job...just like it's a doctor's job to tell you if your weight is effecting your health. The people who get upset are just not ready to face that, and until they are nothing anyone says will change that. I was never under the impression my weight wasn't a problem...I was and still am overweight...and I'm working on getting healthier...but I never thought, "eh, my lifestyle and size are totally healthy...this is going to be great for my future...pie is basically fruit salad, ice cream is kinda a protein shake, and small elves will come and do my dishes when I sleep. What a blissful existence I live."
  • fat2fitshley
    fat2fitshley Posts: 50 Member
    Typically no, they don't mention it but I'm also right on the borderline of healthy weight versus overweight so I guess I'm not at a high enough risk for them to worry too much and my health markers are good. It was mentioned once when I went to a doc in the box and they suggested I lose weight to lower my blood pressure. The only time I was offended was when I was 19 and I weighed 105 pounds at 5' 1" and my GYN told me I was overweight. I thought that was out of line, and it really messed with me as an insecure 19 year old.
  • clicketykeys
    clicketykeys Posts: 6,568 Member
    My oncologist did, and I'll admit, it annoyed me. I knew what my weight was and was aware that I was mildly overweight. But it wasn't enough to be a significant concern. Or if it was there was no mention of that.

I wish doctors ASKED more.
  • shaunshaikh
    shaunshaikh Posts: 616 Member
    I'm in the US. My doctor suggests I need to lose weight when I need to lose weight. I have a good doctor. I don't think you can generalize how all doctors act. I think it's a personal decision on whether someone is comfortable talking about weight. It's a touchy topic for some people. If you don't have a good doctor, find one.
  • Disfatbidge
    Disfatbidge Posts: 3 Member
    Yes my doctors have suggested it but I am class 3 obese so frankly it'd be irresponsible of them not to and I'm glad they did. However nobody ever brought up weight loss surgery as an option until I asked about it.
  • Hungry_Shopgirl
    Hungry_Shopgirl Posts: 329 Member
    The only doctor I saw on a regular basis for an extended period of time was my endocrinologist. She didn't mention my weight at all until I started losing. When I got my medical history from her before moving away I saw that in one of the visits from the previous year she had noted "weight is creeping up" but had not said anything to me upfront. I still wonder why.
  • IsabeausRose
    IsabeausRose Posts: 129 Member
    My doctor usually does but I don't get offended he knows me. I tend to take weightloss too extreme and he warns me not too lose too much weigh. That there's a happy medium.
  • Fit_Happens_2021
    Fit_Happens_2021 Posts: 303 Member
    edited September 2017
    I find it irritating that we live in a world where everyone gets offended so easily by every little thing. Having said that, some doctors need to work on their delivery and make sure they are being helpful not just critical. My doctor talked to me about 'lifestyle changes' when I developed high blood pressure and I am glad he did. A person is a whole human being so even if I am there about something that isn't weight related but the doctor points out that he/she can offer help with nutrition and exercise that can improve my overall health why would I be offended?