Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Quit smoking or not when starting to lose weight.

13»

Replies

• veronikamellon
    veronikamellon Posts: 42 Member
    Don't mean to discourage you, but I switched to vaping and gained 10 lbs which I'm now trying to get rid of :( I did
    not really change my eating habits, so it was strange. I think it has something to do with the way nicotine helps break down fat or something like that. It might depend on your body. I would say lose weight first, then quit smoking.
  • acestealth
    acestealth Posts: 2 Member
    I don't know if you are still looking for suggestions but if you are all I can say is quit smoking, please! I always thought that there was nothing worse than an ex-smoker dishing out advice but now that I am one I get it!! Seriously it is the best decision I ever made I feel like a new woman. I listened to Alan Carr's Easy Way To Quit Smoking on audiobook and quit as soon as it was finished, that was 2 and a half years ago! I hadn't even thought about quitting really I only got the audiobook to prepare for a UK to OZ flight but I quit cold turkey. I may have been brainwashed but I don't care I feel fabulous. I really recommend it.
    Good luck!
  • owa1s
    owa1s Posts: 273 Member
    Quit smoking because it's bad for the lungs no matter if u work out or not it's bad
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    I am with others that if I were to pick it would be smoking first. Get all the help you can, including the patch and any other supports you can think of.

You will have a few months of grumpiness and a nearly immediate improvement of health.

Then get your cardio going with a walking program. If you manage to get hooked on the endorphin rush all the better.

Third, start logging your eating and make improvements there.

After losing a few kilos, progress through a C25K program.

A life transformed.
  • Alpha12
    Alpha12 Posts: 251 Member
    dgchal wrote: »
    Typically people gain weight when they quit smoking because they are replacing the habit with eating more and eating unhealthy food. If you are replacing the habit with something healthy like exercise you should be able to get healthier by both quitting smoking and losing weight.

This. I successfully quit smoking years ago, and since I didn't substitute eating for smoking, I not only didn't gain any weight, I lost about 10 lbs.

Good luck to you! Quit smoking.
  • littlemcbird
    littlemcbird Posts: 11 Member
    Alpha12 wrote: »
    dgchal wrote: »
    Typically people gain weight when they quit smoking because they are replacing the habit with eating more and eating unhealthy food. If you are replacing the habit with something healthy like exercise you should be able to get healthier by both quitting smoking and losing weight.

This. I successfully quit smoking years ago, and since I didn't substitute eating for smoking, I not only didn't gain any weight, I lost about 10 lbs.

Good luck to you! Quit smoking.

Thank you it's been about 3 weeks since I've "quit" I've had a few small slip ups but feeling very confident that this is my time to quit :)
  • mgalsf12
    mgalsf12 Posts: 350 Member
    Quit smoking. I've done it a couple of times. ;) Whenever you crave a cigarette, get out and move, walk fast or run...just don't eat to fill that craving for poison..I mean cigarettes.
  • IsabeausRose
    IsabeausRose Posts: 129 Member
    I started my diet last January and then quit smoking in April while still on my diet. I was successful at doing both at the same time mainly because keeping track of what I was eating all the time kept me distracted from the withdrawal. And I don't miss smoking one bit!
  • Calichusetts
    Calichusetts Posts: 100 Member
    Gum instead of smoking. Smoking was a HUGE part of my appetite control when I first started getting healthy years ago. Except I couldn't say I was healthy as a smoker. Replace and move on.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    ckett10 wrote: »
    It was easier for me to quit smoking while losing weight and exercising. I am now a quitter for three months. Have a craving, go for a walk or any other form of exercise. It works!

So, you are both a quitter and a loser?

:)

Congrats on both.
  • aeloine
    aeloine Posts: 2,163 Member
    I quit around the same time. I'd tried vaping and going cold turkey but neither worked. Then I started the nicotine gum thing but got hooked on that. Now I chew regular sugar free gum like a cow but haven't smoked in months and have lost 37 lbs in the process.

I started running as a motivation: "if I do this C25k run and STILL want a cigarette, I'll go get a pack".
    Strangely, I never wanted one after a run :wink:
  • andrewuk66
    andrewuk66 Posts: 3 Member
    Smoking clogs your arteries and restricts your oxygen intake. If you stop smoking it will help you exercise, which will help you lose weight in a sustainable way and will also save you a load of money.
  • npane
    npane Posts: 22 Member
    Quit smoking! When you feel the urge for a smoke take a walk! I quit smoking after more than 40 years of Marlboros and started to try to eat healthier at the same time. It wasn't easy but can be done.