Britt's Vegan OMAD Journey

Replies

• blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    edited September 2017
    brittdee88 wrote: »
    Ugh.
    Last night sucked.
    I was doing fine until about 9:45 PM (~11 hours post-meal), and then the heavy cravings/mild hunger hit super hard, and I ended up binging.
    This sucks. I haven't binged in a long time, and I thought I was back in control.
    Can't decide whether I should fast today or start again, but at this rate, I will likely see a gain after my first week. I'm so disappointed in myself.

Ideas for the future:
    • Move my meal back to 1 PM. At least if hunger strikes again 11 hours later, I will be finishing off my glass of wine (great appetite suppressant for me) and heading to bed. I am never in bed by 10, so I can't see an 11 AM OMAD working out. This isn't ideal, though, because I prefer exercising in the morning, and I was using OMAD as a post-workout meal. I do, however, have the flexibility in my schedule to just exercise later, so I may just have to bite the bullet on this one.
    • Mix my protein powder with cold brew coffee. I usually use coffee to get through fasts, but I didn't feel any hunger or cravings at all until it was way too late to fix it with coffee. My protein powder is chocolate-flavored, so mixing it with coffee will give me a nice mocha-type drink that will have the one-two appetite suppressing punch of both coffee and protein. I usually have my protein shake as the bookend to my meal, so I think it could really work.
    • I was watching the food truck show on Food Network when the cravings hit. I know it sounds completely idiotic, but I think that may have had an impact on my desire for food even though I wasn't even all that hungry. I am going to avoid watching food-/cooking-focused shows towards the end of my fast.

Not sure what else I could change, but I will try the above and report back. I don't know if it is even realistic to fast today with my fiancé grilling and company coming over, so I may just fast on Wednesday right before weigh-in day to recoup from last night.

I have to break-fast in the evenings. Mid day break-fasts are a problem for me. Very hard for me to do.
  • brittdee88
    brittdee88 Posts: 1,874 Member
    Hi, everyone!
    Still in evacuation, so I haven't been doing any real cooking or focusing on my weight or anything. I have been eating a lot more raw food because I got a bunch on sale and it's easier than doing any prep, but I have been super stressed and haven't been working out much, so I doubt I will lose any this month. Right now I am just focusing on getting through the month.

@tlblanksfit how is your father?
    @mistymeadows2005 I LOVE my IP. I got the mini one and it was absolutely amazing for all of the features I got to use it for before evacuating. I made unsoaked beans in less than 2 hours and rice in a matter of minutes. It is 100% worth the price. I think it was $70.
    @katjustkat yes! It's a pressure cooker, slow cooker, rice cooker, etc. I think it's a 6-in-1 or 7-in-1, and it has definitely replaced everything in my kitchen with the exception of my blender and toaster oven.
    @blmabo61 I have had success in the past with them, but when I get back to OMAD, I will likely push it back.
  • arguablysamson
    arguablysamson Posts: 1,706 Member
    Remember, if you do binge, just get right back on the plan. Don't feel like you have to punish your body for what you did. Seriously, just get right back on track.
  • katjustkat
    katjustkat Posts: 754 Member
    yes, my 87 year old mom got pretty rattled with the hurricane. Now she's putting all the stuff back that she had to move. Lucky my sis stayed with her but they're both happy it's over as they have cabin fever. I hope you didn't get damage to your house. That was quite a stressful situation. I'm glad it's behind you now <3
  • brittdee88
    We just got word from our HOA that our neighborhood suffered minimal damage and that we have power. We should be returning early Thursday morning. So happy to be headed home! I am in the process of making today's OMAD that I will likely eat around 1:30 PM. I am trying to bring some semblance of order back to my life.
  • jvcinv
    jvcinv Posts: 504 Member
    Boy that is good news, all things considered you have to be thankful for that news.
  • brittdee88
    I am incredibly grateful, @jvcinv! Even if our home is damaged, it is still there. We have spent many nights talking about what we'd do if we lost everything. It's not even the stuff we have (which honestly isn't a lot or worth all that much), but we were just concerned about not having a home. The news completely changed our morning.
  • mistymeadows2005
    mistymeadows2005 Posts: 3,737 Member
    OMGOSH so glad for you! That's got to be a relief <3 Glad you're safe!
  • tlblanksfit
    tlblanksfit Posts: 1,573 Member
    Glad to here good news on the home front. My father is well just reported losing power.
  • brittdee88
    Thank you, @mistymeadows2005 and @tlblanksfit! And I'm so happy to hear about your father, too :)
  • brittdee88
    Today's OMAD (eaten at 10:30 AM/1:30 PM home time):

npo789yzks93.jpg

Super basic meal that only required a microwave:
    Yellow rice
    Corn
    Black beans
    Guac
    Salad
    Piece of vegan, gluten-free strawberry shortcake (not pictured. Also, I will be sad leaving San Diego because it is truly a mecca of amazingly affordable vegan/allergen-free food!)

I am trying to get in the habit of eating at 1:30 PM. I will get a cup of coffee soon to nip the potential cravings (and because I am utterly exhausted).
  • blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    Glad it's working out for you!
  • tlblanksfit
    edited September 2017
    Your meal looks delicious. I did fine during my vegetarian month of eating, but now I am struggling to find meal options for my Mon-Thurs vegetarian days. I think I may need to look into meal prep because with work and school, when I get home from work I am wanting something quick for dinner so I can get to my school work. I really want to stick with my vegetarian meal days, but I don't know if I can't get a handle on what I am going to have each day. It is so easy to build a meal around a meat, but when you have to fill a whole plate without meat it is much harder for me at least. I also don't want to eat a bunch of carbs for my meal. When I did a full year as a vegetarian, I consumed loads of carbs and that is not how I want to handle my vegetarian meal days.

I need some quick and easy vegetarian meal ideas that can be made quickly. Any suggestions??
  • brittdee88
    edited September 2017
    Thanks, @blambo61!

Hey, @tlblanksfit! I think a lot of veggie meals can be very quick if you have what I consider to be the quintessential veg cookware: blender, food processor, and rice cooker. The instant pot is definitely on that list for me now, but I only acquired that recently. Lower carb can be a bit tricky, but you can lower them by subbing things out like quinoa or riced cauliflower instead of rice. Minimalist Baker is a blog that has some involved recipes but also a lot of 30-minute ones as well. I think she prides herself on all of her recipes having less than 10 ingredients. I would also recommend One Green Planet for quick recipe ideas. In all honesty, the meal I posted above just involved opening cans/containers and microwaving. Not really super healthy, but definitely quick! In a bind (like I am in evacuation), I would grab organic canned beans (usually seasoned) and veggies, and there are several organic rice mixes you can buy that only require microwaving. When I'm in a rush, that tends to be my go-to: some sort of rice or quinoa packet, vegetables, and beans. It is easy to get lots of variety even though they are the same components because you can get Indian-style rice mixes and packets of Chana masala or put together a quick taco night with all of those and tortillas on the side, for example. When I have absolutely no time, I make smoothies or just eat raw fruits, nuts/seeds, and veggies.
  • katjustkat
    So great to have most of the stress behind you and be able to get back to a familiar routine.
    Do you guys use vegetarian meat crumbles and vegetarian meatballs? I used to use those a lot to make spaghetti, chili, tacos, taco salads...
  • tlblanksfit
    The last time I went vegetarian I used the crumbles and meat substitutes a lot, but now I am not finding that I want them. I have heard that soy is not good for you and a lot of the meat substitutes that I have come across are made from soy. I want for my meals to be more veggie based and not centered around "meat" because that is what I am trying to minimize in my diet. I will get the real thing on the three days I have allotted to have meat.
  • brittdee88
    edited September 2017
    I just recently bought some meat crumbles from Beyond Meat because they are allergen-free. They were actually pretty good, and that is a fast alternative I hadn't thought of!
    But I do my best to avoid soy at all costs and most faux meat is soy- or wheat-based (and I have a wheat allergy). Like Tracey, I ate a diet very heavy in soy-based meat subs when I first became vegetarian some 13 years ago and ate that way for almost the entire 5 years because I genuinely hated beans back then. I got almost all my protein from soy. My body was not happy. I gained a bunch of weight and hormones were all over the place. The Beyond Meat brand seemed to be great, but I genuinely prefer just eating whole, minimally processed foods as much as possible, so faux meat (and tofu/soy tempeh) is definitely a once in a blue moon thing for me.
  • katjustkat
    Makes sense for sure Tracy. I guess a lot of vegetarian meals are carb heavy unless you just use a salad as a base. We eat black beans and rice as a dinner pretty often and I love a baguette with avocado and tomato/ balsamic glaze and olive oil & Italian herbs. Are you not eating cheese also? I like a tomato and fresh mozzarella salad. Omelettes? Hearty soups? I make a leek and potato soup and add vermicelli last ten minutes. ha...allllll carbolicious :D
  • brittdee88
    LOL at "carbolicious."
    Yeah, it seems like it would be very hard to do low carb vegan since everything that's not meat, high-fat dairy, or eggs contains a decent amount of carbs, including the protein-rich foods like beans and nuts/seeds. But since you're just going for vegetarian and not vegan (which completely slipped my mind in my prior response for some reason), I would definitely prioritize eggs, dairy, and green leafy veggies for lower carb eating.
  • tlblanksfit
    I am definitely eating cheese, love me some cheese. On most days half of my plate is salad and since I feel I have to have a full plate, I would need at least two additional vegetables.