What is the best non-dairy cheese?

laststand6271
laststand6271 Posts: 1 Member
I just had this vegan cheese and it was horrible!

Replies

• orangegato
    orangegato Posts: 6,570 Member
    Treeline Cheeses FTW. Easily. For crackers and cheese. But if you're taking about cheese for pizza or nacho cheese then everyone has their favorites but Daiya and Teese are liked.
  • tiffaninghs
    tiffaninghs Posts: 200 Member
    fo something easy to find. daiya.. i think treeline tastes horrible. pure abundance is in atlanta and its delish.. also u can make ur own..
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    I like GoVeggie and I've tried their cheddar and mozzarella shreds as well as a smoked provolone sliced variety. I have hated Daiya since it came out, the texture just didn't sit well with me.
  • EvelynMinter1
    EvelynMinter1 Posts: 8 Member
    Well, I suppose American Kraft Singles are not actually cheese, although it will state on the wrapper to have milk in it. I've also wondered about Velveeta cheese. Another modified cheese product. These are lower in calories than the real stuff. Probably because they are manufactured cheeses?
  • twinkles4
    twinkles4 Posts: 124 Member
    edited September 2017
    I wouldn't be surprised if you said the kind you tried was Daiya, they are by far the grossest of all. It has this weird sweet chemical taste to it. :s

I love the Toffuti slices, mild flavor and melts/strings great. Follow your heart/Earth Island is a good second choice, I find it kind of thick though. It's a bit more of the 'jarred' nacho cheese consistency.

I've heard good things about the Violife and the Chao brands, but I haven't tried them yet. My samples are coming this week :)

ETA: I heard so delicious has a shreds blend now, but they're not available where I live yet
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Tofutti Better than Cream Cheese is pretty decent. And I can marinate tofu to simulate feta or crumble it for a lasagne and it'll pass for ricotta. But as far as fake cheddar, mozzarella, etc... Daiya when melted isn't bad but it's not the real thing either.
  • butterflylady86
    butterflylady86 Posts: 369 Member
    Follow your heart has a nice texture.
  • caputom
    caputom Posts: 4 Member
    Treeline Tree Nut Cheese
    http://www.treelinecheese.com/
    It's delicious!!
  • fuzzylop72
    fuzzylop72 Posts: 651 Member
    I like the field roast chao slices and miyoko's kitchen for softer cheeses.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Chao Cheese and Miyoko's Kitchen is the best, IMO. Kite Hill has some good stuff as well.

You can also make your own -- "Artisan Vegan Cheeses" by Miyoko Shinner (behind the Miyoko's Kitchen brand) is a great introduction.
  • animatorswearbras
    animatorswearbras Posts: 1,001 Member
    Find vegan cheese in the vegan dairy section next to the vegan eggs. That's not just a bad joke. It's a bad way of thinking of doing vegan.

I'm going pull out a quote which may or may not be attributed to Napoleon Bonaparte. "If you're going to take Vienna, take Vienna."
    If you're going to be vegan, be vegan.

Don't pretend.

Are you vegan? I'm curious as to why you consider vegan cheese a "bad way of thinking."

If someone wants to replicate a flavor or texture they enjoy, what's the harm?

Yeah I'm having to go dairy free for 6 weeks under my doctor's guidance to rule out a medical sensitivity, I love cheese but kind of want replica's whilst I'm doing this so checked out this thread. There's lots of reasons people want alternatives, nothing wrong with it for any reason, people like cheese. :neutral:
  • lucys1225
    lucys1225 Posts: 597 Member
    Kite Hill is good.
  • lisasays
    lisasays Posts: 142 Member
    Kite Hill cream cheeses and ricotta are amazing! For hard, Dr Cow has really good nut cheeses.
  • alicebhsia
    alicebhsia Posts: 179 Member
    the best vegan cheese i've had is pimiento cashew cheese. it's not like slices or shreds, more like for macaroni and cheese or like a dip or sauce. it's really good but you have to make it yourself in a blender. i've never had a vegan store type cheese that was any good.