Advice wanted!!

Hey guys, I've had this app downloaded for a while now and have never really put it to use! I gained 100 lbs in a year due to medication and need all the advice I can get burning it off. I am an active person and eat moderately well. I am a vegetarian making it hard to find a diet that works for me. I don't consume any fish, tofu and minimal eggs. My goal is to lose 45 lbs in 2 months! I'll take all the advice I can get whether it's dieting or excersize tips!

Replies

• kaypee65
    kaypee65 Posts: 120 Member
    I have the BEST vegan cookbook. Appetite for reduction by Isa Chandra Moskowitz. She has several recipes up on her website too. theppk.com/recipes/ Chickpea picatta over caulipots is so darn good!!!

No worries on protein, we only need amino acids that out bodies can't synthesize. Though I do like tofu myself. https://forksoverknives.com/the-myth-of-complementary-protein/#gs.=Ivb7b4

Next, weigh your food and track EVERYTHING!
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Hey guys, I've had this app downloaded for a while now and have never really put it to use! I gained 100 lbs in a year due to medication and need all the advice I can get burning it off. I am an active person and eat moderately well. I am a vegetarian making it hard to find a diet that works for me. I don't consume any fish, tofu and minimal eggs. My goal is to lose 45 lbs in 2 months! I'll take all the advice I can get whether it's dieting or excersize tips!

First, 45lb in two months is completely unrealistic. Reset your expectations. At most you should be aiming for 2lb a week, dropping that to 1lb per week as your weight drops.

Weight loss is a matter of eating fewer calories than you burn, no special diets required. Enter your stats into MFP, choose 2lb per week weight loss if you have more than 100lb to lose, eat the number of calories it tells you to. Using a digital scale to weigh all solid foods (and cups/spoons to measure liquids) is highly recommended. People tend to not be great at estimating portion sizes, especially when starting out. For good nutrition, you want to be getting a variety of foods, with plenty of leafy green veggies, and an adequate amount of protein to help preserve lean body mass.

At the top of this forum, you will see a sticked post that contains links to several very helpful posts for when you're starting out. Read those. If you have questions, come back and ask :)
  • kaypee65
    kaypee65 Posts: 120 Member
    That said, 45 pounds and two months is not a realistic weight loss; I would be very concerned about what that would do to your liver. Have you spoken to your doctor about the safety of such drastic, rapid weight loss?
  • belleflop
    belleflop Posts: 154 Member
    Slow it down. If you want lasting changes you should really go slow with weight loss and focus on the mental aspects, as that will be the determining factor if any weight you lose remains off. As rheddmobile says CICO is key, if you exercise a lot and feel like crap eat back some calories burned till you feel good.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    45 lbs in 2 months? Never gonna happen. Sorry.

Keep to a goal of no more than 2 pounds a week. Any faster than that is unrealistic and unhealthy.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    45 lbs in 2 months? That would be extremely unhealthy.
  • pamfgil
    pamfgil Posts: 449 Member
    The website theironyou had some vegan recipes you may enjoy, and don't set yourself up fro failure with goals that will leave you unhealthy if you succeed and more probably discouraged if you fail. Weight loss is not linear, set your calories to no more than 2 pounds a week goal and make your goal one of persistence with changing your habits to those that will help you succeed in getting healthier
  • timtam163
    timtam163 Posts: 500 Member
    ^What people said. Patience is key; and depending on the medication weight loss might take a bit longer for you. All that's ok; your health comes first always always always.

That being said: since you say you're an active person and that you eat healthy, a good place to start is by logging what you eat and how much, and figuring out if your daily calorie intake is greater than your calorie expenditure. I'm not sure how exactly different medications contribute to weight gain (whether it lowers your energy expenditure or increases appetite) so you might wanna seek out more specific advice.
  • MoveitlikeManda
    MoveitlikeManda Posts: 846 Member
    why do people put a time goal on weight loss??

Op it took a year for the weight to go on, its not going to come off in a blink of an eye, it takes time.

put all you details in to mfp, and stick with what it tells you to eat.
    weight everything on a food scale, meausre liquids ... in a jug not spoons and log everything.
    and remember that MFP expects you to log and eat back some of your exercise calories too
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    I know it's frustrating but as everyone is telling you, patience is key. If you search you will find posts from people that lost weight fast and have lasting health problems to show for it. Be consistent, set your goal at 2lbs per week and watch your protein. Exercise as much as you are able. It works and you'll be happy you did.
  • CynthiasChoice
    CynthiasChoice Posts: 1,047 Member
    If you are 100 pounds overweigh, you might lose quickly at first, as I did. I lost 14 pounds the first month, 10 pounds the second month, 8 pounds the third month, then it slowed to 4 - 5 pounds per month after that.

My advice is to begin each meal with veggies, and lots of them!

Getting enough protein without the accompanying heavy carb load is difficult on a vegetarian diet. Hopefully you like lentils and legumes because, as you may know, they contain the amino acids your body really needs. To make sure you're getting enough protein, you may want to add a plant based protein powder like MRM Veggie Protein or a protein bar like Pegan Thin (no I didn't spell that wrong!) Nuts, nut butters, avocado, and olive oil are good fat sources that will keep you satisfied longer so you don't want to snack between meals.

I like a cup of Greek yogurt as a protein source for breakfast, mixed with 30 grams frozen blueberries and 15 grams chopped walnuts. I've found that starting the day with adequate protein sets me up for a success the rest of the day.

Weigh everything, and I mean everything, before it goes in your mouth. Do it religiously and stay totally honest with yourself.

Drinking lots of water, getting adequate sleep, choosing an exercise you enjoy, and incorporating fun or meaningful activities into your day are all important components that will help you comply with your weight loss plan long term.

Best of luck to you!
  • ZhivagosGirl
    ZhivagosGirl Posts: 161 Member
    Just to give you a point of reference. I started out the year looking to lose 100 lbs - I lost 24 lbs in 8 weeks. 16 the first 4 weeks, 8 the second 4 weeks. I've been at this almost 9.5 months now and I'm down just about 70 lbs.
  • wesley58
    wesley58 Posts: 129 Member
    Drink lots of water, and exercise as much as possible, eat lots in the morning, and very little at night, you will lose weight, as fast as your body wants to.
  • HOKA36
    HOKA36 Posts: 180 Member
    My advice, don't lose 45lbs in 2 months. Short term gain long term harm to body
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    wesley58 wrote: »
    Drink lots of water, and exercise as much as possible, eat lots in the morning, and very little at night, you will lose weight, as fast as your body wants to.

Ignore this
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,221 Member
    To lose 45lbs in 2 months you need to make 2600cal deficit per day. This means burn 2600cal more than you consume. Every day.

So, see, unless you maintain at 5000cal per day (which I'm 99% sure you don't) this just isn't happening.

In the rare accasion that you are a 6ft6, 600lbs, 20 years old man, this may be possible. But dangerous. (if your stats are like those above, you should contact your doctor before coming here).

You need around 6 months to lose these.