Sweet treats????

Hello, I am new here (7 days) I am currently exercising 6 days PW and following low calorie healthy eating.
Any ideas for sweet treats that are high in protein and low in carbs?
I have 55 pounds to loose and am struggling to think of sweet treats.
Add me if you are in a similar position.
Thanks

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Hello, I am new here (7 days) I am currently exercising 6 days PW and following low calorie healthy eating.
    Thanks

Pretty much any treat that is sweet is so because it has sugar which is a subset of carbs and I can't think of any such thing that would be high in protein.

In the context of an overall healthy and balanced diet, having a treat now and then really isn't material in the bigger picture. I eat a very healthy diet overall and have something sweet almost every evening after dinner...
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Something artificially sweetened. Atkins makes some sweets that are low carb but not so much high protein. There maybe some protein bars that are artificially sweetened. Sugar free puddings might be a good fit since they milk would have protein but no sugar other than what is already in the milk.
  • cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Thanks

Pretty much any treat that is sweet is so because it has sugar which is a subset of carbs and I can't think of any such thing that would be high in protein.

In the context of an overall healthy and balanced diet, having a treat now and then really isn't material in the bigger picture. I eat a very healthy diet overall and have something sweet almost every evening after dinner...

Thanks, yes after dinner is when I want something sweet. What do you have? Are you trying to loose weight?
  • amarskhy
    amarskhy Posts: 7 Member
    Budget it in your calories/macros for the day and add the sweet treat as part of your sugar and or carb intake. It sounds hard, but once you get a plan/system down and start doing it you will notice that you can eat healthy and still have what you want as a treat.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Google recipes for protein fluff and protein sludge.
    There's also a great recipe for low calorie protein cheesecake here in the recipes section.

• estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    I haven't given up on sweets, but I keep them to 200 calories or fewer per serving. They do tend to be high in carbs, though.

For example, I make a peach sorbet that comes in at 84 calories to the 1/2-cup (or it did when I weighed out the 2.5 cups of diced peaches it called for. If I dice them smaller next time, I may fit more pieces into the cup and the weight and calories of the peaches could be different). Only 1 gram of protein, though.

I've got a peach nut pudding cake that comes in at 99 calories, 4 grams of protein/serving.

Citrus Sunshine Cake (sort of like a yellow zucchini cake with oj concentrate added) that's 133 calories and 4 grams protein

Low calorie cheesecake: 69 calories and 7 grams protein

Angel Cake pudding, 169 calories, 4 grams protein

Chewy meringue cookies (they have dried fruit and nuts in them) 72 calories and 3 grams of protein

Maple Apple cake, 140 calories and 4 grams protein

Apple Date crisps, 182 calories and 3 grams protein

Blueberry Bread Pudding with Lemon Glaze: 137 calories and 8 grams protein

Let me know if any of the above strike your fancy.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Sweets with a little bit of protein could include M & M candy, chocolate milk, Snickers, & Reese's
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    To lose and maintain, you will most likely not be able to eat sweet treats every day. Yes, some people do, and it's your own choice, but it's going to be a lot less struggle if you get used to having sweet treats only occasionally. Occasionally you can eat whatever. Everyday, pay attetion to nutritional quality.

Healthy eating is not low calorie, it's an appropriate level of calories for your height, weight and activity level.

Sweets are in their nature high in sugar, aka carbs. Protein sources are typically meat/fish, eggs, dairy, beans, grains. You don't have to eat a strange diet to get enough protein, or eat low carb - a normal, balanced diet is enough for good health, weightloss and weight maintenance.
  • PennStateChick
    PennStateChick Posts: 327 Member
    I almost always save around 250 calories for the evening and have 28 grams of cashews with 14 grams of mini chocolate chips. It gives me both the sweet and salty that I want.
  • thanks, some great advice
  • I haven't given up on sweets, but I keep them to 200 calories or fewer per serving. They do tend to be high in carbs, though.

For example, I make a peach sorbet that comes in at 84 calories to the 1/2-cup (or it did when I weighed out the 2.5 cups of diced peaches it called for. If I dice them smaller next time, I may fit more pieces into the cup and the weight and calories of the peaches could be different). Only 1 gram of protein, though.

I've got a peach nut pudding cake that comes in at 99 calories, 4 grams of protein/serving.

Citrus Sunshine Cake (sort of like a yellow zucchini cake with oj concentrate added) that's 133 calories and 4 grams protein

Low calorie cheesecake: 69 calories and 7 grams protein

Angel Cake pudding, 169 calories, 4 grams protein

Chewy meringue cookies (they have dried fruit and nuts in them) 72 calories and 3 grams of protein

Maple Apple cake, 140 calories and 4 grams protein

Apple Date crisps, 182 calories and 3 grams protein

Blueberry Bread Pudding with Lemon Glaze: 137 calories and 8 grams protein

Let me know if any of the above strike your fancy.

They all sound yum. I would love to try them all (not all at once obviously) except the meringue.

Thanks for replying.

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Thanks

I usually have some dark chocolate...a cookie if my wife makes them, but that's more rare.

No, I'm not currently trying to lose weight, but I lost 40 Lbs 5 years ago and almost always had something for desert...if it fits your calories it's fine...sweet treats don't cause weight gain in and of themselves...
  • fabulous1690
    fabulous1690 Posts: 44 Member
    Meringue nests are 51 cal. Bought from the supermarket and ready to eat. Like a lot of people I can't live without a sugary treat of some sort or other. And as chocolate doesn't really fit into my new way of eating, I found the meringue nests are sweet, low in cals and hit the spot without sending me over my daily cal allowance. They are sweet enough and big enough that 1 is enough to hit the spot at any given time without wanting to reach for more.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    High in protein... hmm... I don't know but you could probably find recipes using protein powder online?
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    edited September 2017
    Blueberry Bread Pudding with Lemon Glaze:

8 servings

Ingredients:

(Pudding)
    • 4 slices (about 4 cups) whole wheat bread, cubed
    • 1 cup blueberries, fresh or frozen, unthawed
    • 2 cups unsweetened soymilk (note: you can use skim instead. I wanted a non-dairy version.)
    • 3 egg whites
    • 1 cup sugar
    • 1 tsp vanilla extract
    • 1/4 tsp lemon extract
    • 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
    • 1/8 tsp almond extract

(Glaze)
    • 1 cup water
    • 3 tbsp sugar
    • 1.5 tbsp lemon juice
    • 4 tsp corn starch

Procedure:
    • Preheat oven to 350
    • Lightly spray an 8" square baking pan
    • Place bread cubes in pan and top with blueberies
    • In a medium bowl, combine remaining pudding ingredients. Beat with fork or wire whisk until blended. Pour over bread and blueberries and let stand 10 minutes
    • Bake 45 minutes. Cool on rack.
    • When pudding is finished baking, combine glaze ingredients in small saucepan. Bring to boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Cook, stirring, one minute more
    • Spoon glaze over pudding. With a long-tined fork, pierce the pudding every inch or so, so some of the glaze runs down into the pudding. Chill.

Variation: If you want a light pink tint in the glaze, switch out 1 tbsp sugar with a red jelly like currant or grape. Don't use jam. (Note: I don't do this and I haven't checked how it impacts the nutrition profile.)

ma4mp84py52w.png

ETA: Source: The Vegetarian Gourmet's Easy Low-Fat Favorites by Bobbie Hinman (Surrey Books, 2002)
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Thanks

Thanks, yes after dinner is when I want something sweet. What do you have? Are you trying to loose weight?

You can eat anything you want as long as it fits your goals. I try to save between 150-200 calories for something sweet - an ice cream bar, or 2 squares of Ghiradelli dark chocolate, or a packet of Oreo cookie crisps.

I don't expect these treats to be high in protein, I get my protein from other sources. I don't low carb because I don't have medical issues and maintenance wouldn't be low carb anyway. All things in moderation for me.

Losing weight is about reducing calories.
  • magster4isu
    magster4isu Posts: 632 Member
    I eat a 45 calorie chocolate fudge bar every night. Cures my chocolate and ice cream cravings.