Not sure what to do???

Options
So I've been set 1200 Cals per day, I've been to gym and burned abt 500 cals I've eat approx 600 cals over breakfast and lunch do I really have to eat over 1000 cals for the rest of the day?? Not sure what to do??

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    yes
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Yes - that's how this app is designed.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    Get over that "starvation mode" idea. But yes, people do need nutrients. Nothing good will come from eating below your BMR (Basic Metabolic Rate). But also keep in mind that exercise calories are only estimated. I wouldn't necessarily eat them all back.
  • nklong3499
    nklong3499 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanx ☺
    I might sound a bit thick here but if I ate all that would I still have a calorie deficit then?? Cos that seems like a lot of food. Would it be better to eat some of the calories?
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    YES!
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    Starvation mode isn't real tho.

https://www.aworkoutroutine.com/starvation-mode/

But it's almost impossible to get all the nutrition your body needs on under 1200 calories for a woman, 1500 for a man.

Also, your body only burns so much fat in a day and after that it starts on muscle. Your heart is a muscle. You don't want to run too aggressive a deficit for that matter.

Note: If you are extremely short and sedentary, a smaller caloric minimum may be appropriate, but that should be a physician's call.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    nklong3499 wrote: »
    Thanx ☺
    I might sound a bit thick here but if I ate all that would I still have a calorie deficit then?? Cos that seems like a lot of food. Would it be better to eat some of the calories?

When MFP set your daily calories, it built the deficit into them. It CAN overestimate calories burned through exercise, which is why it's recommended you eat back some, not all. I generally do 50%.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    nklong3499 wrote: »
    Thanx ☺

Weren't you eating more food prior to joining MFP, hense needing to lose weight?

side note: MFP has your calorie deficit built in to the calorie amount it gives to you to eat, don't further increase your deficit by not eating this amount/too little.
  • nklong3499
    Options
    Thanx for your replies, still getting my head round all this but looks like I'll be eating well tonight yay!! perhaps I haven't been eating enough.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Are you using a food scale? If you think 1600 cals is too much food, you are probably underestimating what you've eaten. Unfortunately most of us are pretty bad at estimating portions, and volume measurements can be misleading. But yes, mfp gives you a calorie goal assuming you will log exercise and eat back those calories.
  • nklong3499
    Options
    I was eating too much food prior to join mfp, over the summer - too many burgers and beers and put on abt 7-8lbs, before that I was doing fairly well with 3 smallish meals and healthy snacks although not a saint all the time but exercising regularly. Exercise went abit to pot over summer too hence weight gain. Now getting back into it, but I was surprised how many calories i could have when working out.
    I do weigh out some food but generally dish out smaller portions.
    I think I will eat back some of my exercise Cals but not going to eat for the sake of it, I had about 160 Cals left yesterday and felt full and satisfied, so happy days