Easy Breakfast ideas?

I eat the same few things for breakfast and it gets boring. I try to alternate what I eat on different days so I'm not eating oatmeal 3 days in a row or yogurt 3 days in a row. I don't mind eating yogurt, eggs, and oatmeal but maybe you guys have some recipe suggestions to spice those things up. I've also started making chia pudding lately so maybe someone has some recipe suggestions for that as well. Any breakfast suggestions would be great!

Replies

• Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    I'm dull. I have oatmeal 5-6 days a week. Means I don't have to think first thing in the morning.

But realize that you can eat what you like, it doesn't have to be "breakfast" foods. So have a slice of pizza if you want.
  • brightsideofpink
    brightsideofpink Posts: 1,018 Member
    Do you have goals for breakfast that you're trying to hit- certain calories or protein? Limited time? I love eggs and will eat them various ways. I'm also happy with toast and sunbutter. If you don't mind frozen meals, I also like the Jimmy Dean turkey sausage sandwiches and Good Food Made Simple breakfast burritos, both of which are under 300 calories and pretty filling. Bananas rolled in granola make for pretty good texture and taste.
  • theowlbox
    theowlbox Posts: 912 Member
    I'm a fan of subbing in seasonal veggies and fruit. I typically have eggs, toast, and tea or oatmeal and tea. Summer brings summer fruits and avocado toasts or a pile of mushrooms with fresh green onions. Fall is here and today I had roasted carrots and swiss chard with apple & cinnamon. I can't have the brain stress of so many options in the am so I cook veggies every few days and keep fruit in the house. Oatmeal can be made interesting with fall applesauce or caramelized leeks/onions. (Sorry I'm not a recipe person! Maybe see where this gets you though?)
  • avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,789 Member
    If the issue is just that you're bored with your breakfasts and want more variety, try eating things other than "breakfast foods." Dinner leftovers, roasted vegetables and goat cheese, a turkey sandwich, whatever you want -- I had leftover ratatouille, an English muffin, and yogurt this morning, and it was terrific. Branch out!
  • Meghanebk
    Meghanebk Posts: 321 Member
    I don't get same-food fatigue, but I also will eat whatever I want for breakfast. For variety, don't limit yourself to traditional breakfast foods. I do have to watch that I get enough morning protein no matter what I eat - otherwise I am hungry again way too fast. I will eat anything from oatmeal with protein powder to a ham sandwich to yesterdays dinner leftovers for breakfast. Anything that takes no effort and little time to prepare.

I tend to put the usual things in chia pudding (plus greek yogurt or skim milk powder for protein)- but I always add spices or extracts. Cinnamon, vanilla, almond, chinese five spice powder, even chili if you like the kick. Changing the flavor profile helps make it more interesting even if you eat it often.
  • MissMandyT85
    MissMandyT85 Posts: 19 Member
    I alternate-these are my main 3. I'm on a low calorie diet.

Smoothie. 1 Cup mixed berries 70 calories, 1 Cup Ice, 2 scoops Protein 110 calories, 1 Cup skim milk (you could use almond milk to save a few calories if you wanted but I don't) Total=260 Calories

Great value brand turkey sausage patties. They're 90 calories each-I usually eat 2. Total = 180 Calories. Sometimes I'll add syrup onto them because they can be a little dry so be sure to add those calories on unless you use a calorie free syrup.

Frozen waffles-this I don't eat too much because it doesn't feel so healthy but it's nice to mix it up. Depending on the brand it's about 200 calories for 2. Again, sometimes I add syrup so be sure to add those in unless using a calorie free syrup. I also sometimes add butter-I use Smart Balance - Light Butter & Canola Oil Blend which is 50 calorie for about a tablespoon. Total = Depends but can be about 250.
  • hayleyf6051
    hayleyf6051 Posts: 52 Member
    I'm trying shakes in the morning at the moment and with protein powder they can be quite filling.

I have water, frozen fruit, kale, spinach, flaxseed and whey protein
  • Losinandmovin
    Losinandmovin Posts: 188 Member
    Weekdays (workdays) I eat the same breakfast every day. On Sunday, I cut up strawberries, add blueberries, and any other fruit in season (blackberries have been wonderful the past two months) and put them all in a big bowl for the week. Every morning, I scoop 1.5 cups of the fruit into a bowl. I add 1 container of light and fit yogurt to the fruit. I top it with a sprinkle of granola, or a crumbled up 90 calorie granola bar. I also top it with a sprinkle of crushed freeze dried strawberries or mango. It's nice having the bowl of fruit compote ready to go for the whole week. Lots of fiber and tastes like a treat! It's mostly strawberries which is a really low cal fruit and lower sugar fruit. :)
    DarianJP wrote: »
    I eat the same few things for breakfast and it gets boring. I try to alternate what I eat on different days so I'm not eating oatmeal 3 days in a row or yogurt 3 days in a row. I don't mind eating yogurt, eggs, and oatmeal but maybe you guys have some recipe suggestions to spice those things up. I've also started making chia pudding lately so maybe someone has some recipe suggestions for that as well. Any breakfast suggestions would be great!

• mywayroche
    mywayroche Posts: 218 Member
    I accidentally (ok maybe not) ate 25g of peanuts for breakfast this morning... i didnt get hungry for ages. I like bacon and eggs too but thats a bit more effort
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Peanut butter sandwich and coffee has always been my favorite.
  • DarianJP
    DarianJP Posts: 95 Member
    Thanks for all the suggestions guys! I appreciate everyone's input.
  • kristinak48
    kristinak48 Posts: 110 Member
    I completely agree, don't limit yourself to only "breakfast foods" as most breakfast foods are high in carbs and low in protein (I've come to realize). I enjoy brown rice with scrambled eggs and lots of veggies. I mix this up on Monday morning and have it all week long but it keeps me super satisfied until lunch. Next week I'm going to do sweet potatoes, scrambled eggs, ground beef with taco seasoning and salsa. Both of these are around 300 calories when portioned out.
  • Mccloud74
    Mccloud74 Posts: 789 Member
    I rotate either salmon, plaice, steak or bacon with either avocado, cheese or eggs.

I only eat it late (between 10 / 11am) and holds me over till about 2 / 3pm.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,122 Member
    During the week I normally have weetabix with various toppings, usually berries or banana. On a weekend I like to have brunch usually with some kind of eggs:
    • Scrambled eggs with smoked salmon and light cream cheese on toast.
    • Poached Eggs with Pancetta & Asparagus
    • Sweet Omelette with Berries & Dark Chocolate Chips
    • Omelette with spinach & pancetta
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    I make an egg based breakfast casserole on sunday and eat it throughout the week. Usually has sausage or bacon, shredded hash browns, and eggs w cheese on top. You can mix in onions, peppers, salsa, whatever floats your boat and try to mix it up a bit from week to week.
  • celiah909
    celiah909 Posts: 141 Member
    My favorite breakfast is scrambling two eggs in a pan with a little bit of butter and topping with fresh tomatoes and salt.

I've also done overnight oats that are pretty good.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited September 2017
    I don't eat breakfast often but yesterday I did because I was just really hungry. I like eggs. My pick is usually eggs and bacon and toast. I also like doing scrambles wth eggs, potatoes, bacon, peppers and onions and avocado. Or toast with avocado spread on it wth a fried egg on top. Breakfast burritos are good but usually too many calories (the tortilla). I like breakfast food for breakfast. I've also eaten lots of oatmeal for breakfast in different variations.
  • minniestar55
    minniestar55 Posts: 346 Member
    Ahead of time you could make some ham/scrambled egg/peppers muffins in a muffin tin, then freeze them easy & tasty! Tons of examples & recipes on 'net.
  • bebeisfit
    bebeisfit Posts: 951 Member
    I love my oatmeal and have it 3 or 4 times a week. But when I have homemade soup in the house, it's my go to. Warm and filling!