Low oxalate diet help !!!!! (Kidney stones)

So I am 26 and I have had 4 calcium-oxalate stone in the passed 4 in 4 years and just had to have one broken up (lithotripsy) my doctor said I needed to be on a low -oxalate diet now if I want to prevent them .. I am finding it is EXTREMELY hard to navigate a low oxalate diet and still meet nutritional goals ! My question has anyone been doing a low oxalate diet over a long period of time successfully? And what do you eat ? I am sticking to basically
-yogurt
- low sodium/non fat chesse
- Cauliflower
- Brussels sprouts
- Eggs
- Meat (3oz per day
- Cucumbers
- Milk fat free
- gallon of water a day

( do you drink coffee ? And if so how much and how frequently)

I understand to do a full blown low oxalate diet it's very strict so I'm hoping other people might have so tips or insight into what works for them !!! Thanks

Replies

• ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    edited June 2017
    I have had kidney stones several times in the past and was told to eat a low oxalate diet as well. After doing some research, I discovered that the two highest sources of oxalates in the American diet are spinach and chocolate (milk chocolate specifically). I find that as long as I limit my intake of those two items and keep myself properly hydrated, I do not have the stones any more. I have not had a stone in the last 6-7 years and was having them regularly every 3-4 years before that.
  • cross2bear
    cross2bear Posts: 1,106 Member
    I didnt even realize there was a special diet to prevent stones - I have to have one removed, its so big. Just waiting for The Call. I can live without spinach, but without chocolate? EEK!!
  • ckdprevent
    ckdprevent Posts: 105 Member
    I have been passing kidney stones for 20 years. I was told to drink at least 12 cups of liquid a day and a low oxalate diet. The low oxalate diet was hard when combining with a low protein, low salt, low fat diet, with GI issues when I raise my vege and fruits. The more fruits and veges you eat and bread the higher the oxolate. I found a great website. University of Chicago preventing kidney stones. https://kidneystones.uchicago.edu/how-to-eat-a-low-oxalate-diet/ They have all kinds of information there. I signed up for the kidney stone prevention course and am trying the low oxalate diet again. To prevent oxalate stones or calcium oxalate which is what I produce, they advocate low protein, low salt, calcium, and oxalate. I have been a chronic diet coke drinker, which has 0 oxalates, but is high in salt when you drink 6 a day. So I am currently practicing video # 1 and working to reduce diet cokes and increase my water intake. I am also tracking my salt, calcium, protein, and oxalate on MFP. I have a oxalate list from the same website and I just add up my oxalate numbers which are supposed to be below 100 per day.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    http://www.upmc.com/patients-visitors/education/nutrition/Pages/low-oxalate-diet.asp
    • Bacon Beef Corned beef Fish (except sardines) Ham Lamb Lean meats Pork Poultry Shellfish
    • Barley Cereals (corn or rice) Cheerios Chicken noodle soup Egg noodles English muffin Graham crackers Macaroni Pasta (plain) White rice
    • Cabbage Cauliflower Chives Cucumber Endive Kohlrabi Mushrooms Peas Barley
    • Cereals (corn or rice) Cheerios
    • Chicken noodle soup Egg noodles English muffin Graham crackers Macaroni Pasta (plain) White rice
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    RodaRose wrote: »
    http://www.upmc.com/patients-visitors/education/nutrition/Pages/low-oxalate-diet.asp
    • Bacon Beef Corned beef Fish (except sardines) Ham Lamb Lean meats Pork Poultry Shellfish
    • Barley Cereals (corn or rice) Cheerios Chicken noodle soup Egg noodles English muffin Graham crackers Macaroni Pasta (plain) White rice
    • Cabbage Cauliflower Chives Cucumber Endive Kohlrabi Mushrooms Peas Barley
    • Cereals (corn or rice) Cheerios
    • Chicken noodle soup Egg noodles English muffin Graham crackers Macaroni Pasta (plain) White rice

The page doesn't exist and there is some stuff on your list that doesn't make sense from the most recent recommendations. Yes bacon and any meat is low, but too much protein or salt contributes to stones. Wheat isn't super low, neither is rice.
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    https://newsnetwork.mayoclinic.org/discussion/mayo-clinic-q-and-a-prevent-kidney-stones-with-the-right-amount-of-calcium/
    http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/kidney-stones/diagnosis-treatment/treatment/txc-20319843

What I remember from my husband's kidney stone low oxalate class is limit meat to 3-4oz, avoid nuts/potatoes/sweet potatoes/spinach/tea/orange juice....... but on the calcium they said to have calcium WITH your oxalates because the calcium will bind with the oxalates and stop them from forming stones. So have 8oz of milk with your steak and potato if you're gonna have it :-p

He's now on a diet for another medical condition and one of the few veggies he can have is potatoes. So he's living it up eating all the potatoes he's been avoiding. He's gonna have the mack-daddy kidney stone here shortly :-D

FYI: Anyone else, don't just go on low oxalate diet if you haven't been tested to see what kind of stones you have. It's pointless if you don't have calcium oxalate stones.
  • cmtigger
    edited September 2017
    https://newsnetwork.mayoclinic.org/discussion/mayo-clinic-q-and-a-prevent-kidney-stones-with-the-right-amount-of-calcium/
    http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/kidney-stones/diagnosis-treatment/treatment/txc-20319843

What I remember from my husband's kidney stone low oxalate class is limit meat to 3-4oz, avoid nuts/potatoes/sweet potatoes/spinach/tea/orange juice....... but on the calcium they said to have calcium WITH your oxalates because the calcium will bind with the oxalates and stop them from forming stones. So have 8oz of milk with your steak and potato if you're gonna have it :-p

He's now on a diet for another medical condition and one of the few veggies he can have is potatoes. So he's living it up eating all the potatoes he's been avoiding. He's gonna have the mack-daddy kidney stone here shortly :-D

FYI: Anyone else, don't just go on low oxalate diet if you haven't been tested to see what kind of stones you have. It's pointless if you don't have calcium oxalate stones.

I miss potatoes.
  • ryancarlson919
    ryancarlson919 Posts: 2 Member
    edited October 2017
    I have had 2 calcium oxolate kidney stones and was told to go on a low oxolate diet. Is there any way to track oxolates with MFP? I found a list of all of the oxolate levels in all sorts of food, but it would be nice to track it this way.

This makes me sad and apprehensive, as pasta, potatoes, pizza and peanut butter are among my favorite foods. Going to be really hard reducing those

I agree with everyone about the spinach. That has the most oxolates per serving by a long shot, it’s not even close.

I will be keeping a close eye on my sodium, calcium and protein levels on MFP, as those are three important things to track when it comes to Calcium oxalate stones.
  • cmtigger
    I have had 2 calcium oxolate kidney stones and was told to go on a low oxolate diet. Is there any way to track oxolates with MFP? I found a list of all of the oxolate levels in all sorts of food, but it would be nice to track it this way.

This makes me sad and apprehensive, as pasta, potatoes, pizza and peanut butter are among my favorite foods. Going to be really hard reducing those

I agree with everyone about the spinach. That has the most oxolates per serving by a long shot, it’s not even close.

I will be keeping a close eye on my sodium, calcium and protein levels on MFP, as those are three important things to track when it comes to Calcium oxalate stones.

It’s not listed on labels so there isn’t any way to track it. I use it to track sodium, protein and calcium though.
  • ryancarlson919
    ryancarlson919 Posts: 2 Member
    Can anyone tell me if a vitamin supplement like this would contain the same amount of oxolates as the vegetable itself? This new diet really limits eating the kind of vegetables I like. yibv46z7d458.png
  • cmtigger
    Can anyone tell me if a vitamin supplement like this would contain the same amount of oxolates as the vegetable itself? This new diet really limits eating the kind of vegetables I like. yibv46z7d458.png

If it’s whole vegetable it’s impossible to know. Usually supplements are discouraged in stone formers.