Nuts

Options
I've always read that nuts are a healthy snack. What are some of the best nuts for snacking? Peanuts? Cashews? Walnuts?

Replies

• sheepingly
    sheepingly Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    jbanteau wrote: »
    I've always read that nuts are a healthy snack. What are some of the best nuts for snacking? Peanuts? Cashews? Walnuts?

almonds
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    Only tree nuts. That would be almonds, walnuts and a few others but peanuts no, and wait for it...a peanut is not a nut.
  • French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    rsclause wrote: »
    Only tree nuts. That would be almonds, walnuts and a few others but peanuts no, and wait for it...a peanut is not a nut.

Legume status aside, why would you say peanuts are not healthy? Like other nuts and legumes, they offer a rich, unique mix of micronutrients, and in fact have a better protein profile than the referenced tree nuts. Is there something in particular that makes them a bad choice compared to the other options?

Not me that woo'd you, BTW.
  • rsclause
    Options
    rsclause wrote: »

Legume status aside, why would you say peanuts are not healthy? Like other nuts and legumes, they offer a rich, unique mix of micronutrients, and in fact have a better protein profile than the referenced tree nuts. Is there something in particular that makes them a bad choice compared to the other options?

Not me that woo'd you, BTW.

Not real sure what the reason is regarding peanuts. I just remember a MD on a morning TV news show touting the benefit of having nuts in your diet. Then he added not just any nuts, you want tree nuts. I can't remember if the focus was on diet health or heart health but it stuck with me. I now have walnuts in my oatmeal and almonds for my morning snack. I like the fat I get out of them to make me feel full.
  • ccruz985
    ccruz985 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    Pistachios!
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    OP nuts are high calorie so you need to watch portions for weight control, but here are some good resources if you want facts instead of opinions.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3257681/
    http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/heart-disease/in-depth/nuts/art-20046635
  • KelGen02
    KelGen02 Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    amonds & walnuts are my go to, and seeds... Remember, if it fits in your calories you can eat it. Nut on my friend! :D:D:D:DB)
  • rsclause
    Options
    ccruz985 wrote: »
    Pistachios!

Its a tree so eat up!
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    This is 100 calories of nuts.

W13_3.JPG

Fill up with caution. I don't eat almonds, because, allergic. My go-to nuts are walnuts and peanuts.
  • rsclause
    Options
    I was eating snack bars like Nature Valley and such and while they sound healthy I asked myself "do I really need all of this sugar and stuff?" So I switched to just nuts.

I have nothing against peanuts but like pistachios they in natural form can get a little messy. Also got to watch the salt a bit too.
  • melissaulmen
    melissaulmen Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I agree with the other posts that mention they are high in calories. I usually get the 100 calorie packs, or portion them out when I first get them.

Natural is supposed to be better for you (not sure where I read this)
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    I eat all nuts, I just alternate. Most commonly walnuts, cashews, almonds, and pistachios.

I think peanuts are fine, despite being legumes (legumes are generally healthy), but I don't eat them as much just because of personal preference. But the nutritional profile is pretty similar.

Yeah, watch the amounts. Same with seeds, which are also good. I love using pumpkin seeds or pine nuts or crushed almonds or peanuts in stir fries or pasta dishes or on salads, too.
  • pdxwine
    pdxwine Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I eat 8 unsalted roasted almonds everyday as my morning snack. Full of protein and easy to carry anywhere.
  • shirgify
    shirgify Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I'll do anything for a hazelnut.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    jbanteau wrote: »

I am partial to almonds but I do enjoy all kinds of nuts. Around Christmas, I fill a bowl with a variety of nuts in the shell. There is something calming about the cracking and eating involved.

If I am a bit constipated, a handful of peanuts seems to do the job.
  • cjsacto
    cjsacto Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    All nuts are healthy in moderation.
    Walnuts are great for omega 3s, so I usually go for them. I also eat almonds & cashews.
    Sunflower seeds are also supposed to be good for you.