Gaining weight on 1400 calories!

2»

Replies

• Daydreamangel
    Daydreamangel Posts: 115 Member
    What activity level setting do you have? Sedentary
    How often do you weigh in? Same time of day? Every morning
    Are you recording Measurements? Once in awhile
    Do you have any Non Scale Victories? Clothes fit better, you have more energy, etc, Not really, clothes fit about the same.
    I am still keeping at it after all these months, hopefully I can make some changes that will result in a more visible difference.

• melissaulmen
    melissaulmen Posts: 123 Member
    What activity level setting do you have? Sedentary
    How often do you weigh in? Same time of day? Every morning
    Are you recording Measurements? Once in awhile
    Do you have any Non Scale Victories? Clothes fit better, you have more energy, etc, Not really, clothes fit about the same.
    I am still keeping at it after all these months, hopefully I can make some changes that will result in a more visible difference.

Hopefully the food scale will help. I only weigh once a week, because I hate to see the daily fluctuation.
    I usually tell myself that fat weighs less than muscle and that is why I did not lose.
    Keep up the hard work!
  • emailmehere1122
    emailmehere1122 Posts: 140 Member
    edited September 2017
    I will mention the food scale also...especially if you eat calorie dense foods like nuts.
    You said something about giving up cheat days. That's why I look at my calories on a weekly average so if I want higher calorie days I can work them in
  • versusveritas
    versusveritas Posts: 20 Member
    What are your stats and maintenance calories? 5'6, 136 pounds, my maintenance should be 1600 but I'd gain if I eat that much
    How do you measure your calories in? (measuring cups, food scale, etc) Measuring cup

You are at a normal bmi at 136lb and 5'6"...since you are already at a healthy weight you will lose anymore weight very slowly. Using a scale and accurate logging is by far the best way to know exactly how many calories you are eating in a day. You should probably ditch the major cheat days if you really want to lose.

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    What do you guys thinking about eating at night. I have an apple at 9pm every day, is that too late?

I eat dinner (largest meal of the day typically) every night at 8:30/9 PM...meal timing is irrelevant. If you're in a deficit, you're in a deficit and you will lose weight. Meal cut-off comes from non calorie counters as a way to control calorie intake...nothing more, nothing less.

If you're not losing weight, you're not in a consistent deficit. Note that the human body strives for homeostasis...to override your bodies ability to maintain homeostasis you have to consistently eat under or over your calorie requirements...not just sometimes...consistently.
  • Daydreamangel
    edited September 2017
    I did eat what I thought was 1100 a day and was gaining weight. I ended up using measuring cup to determine the weight of my food instead and it worked for awhile till now (I got down to 135). I am now determined to get a scale soon since my weight loss has stalled again and experiencing a steady gaining. Thank you so much for going through my previous posts to get a better picture of my journey.
  • Kst76
    Kst76 Posts: 935 Member
    edited September 2017
    I weigh my stuff and then i add extra grams or Oz on top of that when i logg my food in the diary here on MFP.. That way i know i never under estimate.
  • canarysal
    canarysal Posts: 118 Member
    You need to log accurately and honestly even on cheat days to see the real picture. Its not a guessing game and a few extra calories here and there can soon add up.
  • mystiqgoal
    mystiqgoal Posts: 17 Member
    If sedentary all day would need to eat:

1771 calories a day for a weight of 82kg

If wanting weighing 2kg less, would need to eat 1741 calories a day.

That's only a small difference of eating 30 calories less a day..

If wanting to weight 75kg.. needing to eat like 1691 calories when not active..

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/tools/bmr-calculator

Calorie Wise a few calories less a day or more makes a huge difference. B)
  • SarahSloth342634
    SarahSloth342634 Posts: 90 Member
    I'm a similar size to you Daydreamer. I find my weight stalls or even slightly increases on 1600 Cals but then again I do consume about 2000 on a weekend. The only way for me to stop gaining is to excersise more because I'm not cutting the Cals to lower than 1300 (ever!) I go to the gym whenever I can which on average is 3 times a week...
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Do you log your cheats? Yes
    Why do you say that you have low metabolism? I always gain when I eat above 1300
    What are your stats and maintenance calories? 5'6, 136 pounds, my maintenance should be 1600 but I'd gain if I eat that much
    How do you measure your calories in? (measuring cups, food scale, etc) Measuring cup

You are near the middle of a healthy BMI. Losing weight will be difficult, and maybe not needed. What are your goals?
  • Daydreamangel
    My goal is 120 pounds, I still feel a bit chubby at my current weight.
  • sheepingly
    sheepingly Posts: 237 Member
    it could be water weight as well. I know foods high in sodium make you retain water :) That is why I dont measure daily ..I do more like once a week and i don't weigh myself if i know i've ate high sodium foods or im on my monthly you know what ;)
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    I got a scale! being using it since yesterday...wish me luck.

Excellent! You'll get a better picture of exactly how many calories you're eating and can plan accordingly.
  • craigspaterson33
    craigspaterson33 Posts: 10 Member
    Drop the cheat day idea. Focus on eating foods that provide excellent nutrition, and in the proper amounts. If you have a less than healthy or indulgent meal once in awhile, just get back on track immediately.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Do you log your cheats? Yes
    Why do you say that you have low metabolism? I always gain when I eat above 1300

This isn't logical if you think about it.

Let's say you maintain on 1300 calories (you claim that you gain).......but if 1300 is maintenance, then 1200 is only a 100 calorie deficit. It would take you 35 days of perfect logging (no cheat days) to lose 1 pound.

Before "accepting" that 1600 can't possibly be your maintenance log as accurately as you possibly can - digital food scale for solids, liquid measuring cup for liquids. Double check your MFP database selections....lots are incorrect. Consider water water and waste weight. These will fluctuate and can mask actual weight loss. Finally, you will not lose weight quickly when you are so close to goal. 1/2 pound a week would be good progress.