Obese, just starting and losing too fast

Starting weight is....423. I started 1800 calorie diet and only eating between 12-8pm, as of Sunday. As in, 72 hours ago. I've lost 8 pounds already. First, are there dangers in losing too fast? Second, I have been on and off the weight loss bandwagon a thousand times before but never seen results this fast, ever. I usually lose 4-5lb the first week and usually diet AND exercise. I have not exercised at all these past 3 days.

Replies

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    This is nothing to worry about. It will slow down.
  • DebLaBounty
    DebLaBounty Posts: 1,172 Member
    I lost really fast for the first week on MFP. Slowed down to my target rate of loss about 2 weeks in. I think you'll be fine. You can always re-set your calorie goal or rate of loss on MFP if you're still worried two or three weeks from now.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    First, are there dangers in losing too fast?

Occasionally it can cause gallstones, which occasionally can turn into a medical emergency. Usually that occurs over about 3 lbs. per week, not counting the initial water weight loss. That's about 1500 calorie deficit per day. If you're still losing crazy amounts next week, weigh your food on a food scale to ensure your calorie count is accurate.

By the way, the time of day we refuel doesn't affect fat loss.

So what are you going to do differently this time to stay on the bandwagon? :+1:
  • ccsernica
    ccsernica Posts: 1,040 Member
    edited September 2017
    One difference between when you're making an effort to lose weight and other times is that you're regularly stepping on the scale and paying close attention to what it says. So what might be normal fluctuation in weight that would pass by without notice is suddenly right in your face. For all you know, your weight goes up and down by 8 lbs most weeks. This would not be unusual. You're just seeing it now because you're paying close attention.

For comparison, my nominal weight is 165 lbs, but the scale might report as low as 163 or as high as 167 mere days apart. This does not mean that I have somehow burned off or put on 4 lbs of fat between the two, just that I'm showing differences in water weight, food being digested, glycogen stores, etc. over that time.
  • Wiggymommy
    Wiggymommy Posts: 106 Member
    I've read that the heavier you are the safer it is to lose larger amounts. I think those with significantly higher BMI can lose 4 or even more pounds a week at first. It will begin to taper off
  • thechiopodist
    thechiopodist Posts: 216 Member
    I lost 6lbs the first week, but that slowed right down after that. I even gained a lb before losing again. Only do something about it if it carries on.
  • ACanadian22
    ACanadian22 Posts: 377 Member
    It will slow up in a month or so. No worries.
  • JamWam12
    JamWam12 Posts: 27 Member
    You'll find in the first week you'll lose a lot of weight but this is mostly water weight. It will slow down so don't worry about the weight loss being too fast.
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    Did mfp give you a goal of 1800 a day? Seems a tad low for your starting weight

• Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    As others have said, it is fine unless it continues at this pace. But be warned that some of it may come back and you may see the scale go up one day. Please expect this and don't be disappointed.

Here is "often" what happens when someone starts a "diet". You've cut down on carbs. Even if you are not going low-carb, you cut them down just by reducing your overall intake. Carbs "tend" to get stored as glycogen, so when you cut down on them, your glycogen stores are reduced. Funny thing with Glycogen is for every gram of it stored, there are 3-4 grams of water stored. So lose 1 lb of glycogen and you lose 4-5 lbs of weight. This is why you see people commenting it's water weight. Now, there is a limit to how low the glycogen storage will be depleted, at which point you will be losing more fat and your loss rate will slow down.

I'd also question 1800 a day. Seems low for your size. Is that what MFP gave you? I guess see how it goes for 6 weeks or so, but don't be afraid to increase that if you are feeling hungry or lethargic. I'd shoot for 2-3 lbs per week on average.
  • LadyLilion
    LadyLilion Posts: 276 Member
    With your starting weight, it's VERY normal to lose very large amounts very quickly. I agree with the other folks, it tends to be water and may or may not come back, in part. Don't get discouraged. I also agree, 1800 a day seems quite low. I eat 1900 and am losing, at about 275 lbs currently.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    edited September 2017
    Normal. I lost ~15 pounds in the first three weeks before I settled into my steady state loss rate.

Also, note that while exercise is great for many reasons, it's not strictly necessary for weight loss. Calorie restriction does most of the work.

Exercise is actually relatively insignificant towards weight loss in the grand scheme of things. For most people, 30 minutes of cardio a day for 5 days a week might burn an extra pound every 2-3 weeks assuming that none of the exercise calories are eaten back.
  • rbiss
    rbiss Posts: 422 Member
    I wouldn't worry about fast weight loss in the beginning. I wouldn't even worry about 3-4 lbs per week at your weight. I am about 307 right now and loosing 3-4 lbs a week with eating all my calories and not exercising and I must just be burning more than mfp is estimating. As long as your not hungry and really restricting yourself which will lead to binging, I think your alright. It will slow down as you get smaller.
  • aeloine
    aeloine Posts: 2,163 Member
    As others have said, it is fine unless it continues at this pace. But be warned that some of it may come back and you may see the scale go up one day. Please expect this and don't be disappointed.

Here is "often" what happens when someone starts a "diet". You've cut down on carbs. Even if you are not going low-carb, you cut them down just by reducing your overall intake. Carbs "tend" to get stored as glycogen, so when you cut down on them, your glycogen stores are reduced. Funny thing with Glycogen is for every gram of it stored, there are 3-4 grams of water stored. So lose 1 lb of glycogen and you lose 4-5 lbs of weight. This is why you see people commenting it's water weight. Now, there is a limit to how low the glycogen storage will be depleted, at which point you will be losing more fat and your loss rate will slow down.

I'd also question 1800 a day. Seems low for your size. Is that what MFP gave you? I guess see how it goes for 6 weeks or so, but don't be afraid to increase that if you are feeling hungry or lethargic. I'd shoot for 2-3 lbs per week on average.

Ditto on water weight, but especially on 1800 a day. How did you come up with that number? MFP is really great at bringing you down slowly and safely, limiting your daily deficit to 1,000 below TDEE per day.

I've seen 1-2% of body weight per week as a bench mark, too, especially when you get into the higher weight ranges, so your weight loss could stabilize around that point, just don't drop your calories too quickly.

Would you mind giving us your stats? Age, height, activity level.
  • Valsgoals
    Valsgoals Posts: 132 Member
    edited September 2017
    I'll chime in too about both the loss rate and the calories goal. When I originally started off at just over 300 pounds I dropped larger amounts quick which did taper. That is normal. Yes, some of it is water weight like others have said but it isn't all water weight. I also didn't exercise until I had already lost about 25-30 pounds and I eased into it. The losses increased again but not as high as it was in the beginning.

About your calorie goal, I have to ask like others did, 1800 calories? I would think at your weight you'd have a higher calorie goal than that, unless you're very tall. When I was heavier my calorie goal in order to lose 2 pounds a week was just over 2000 calories. If you start off maintaining too low a calorie goal you'll run into the risk of losing at a slower rate sooner, or worse yet, running into a plateau. I know it doesn't sound like it makes sense. For example, there were plenty of times when I was stuck on a plateau because I got too strict with my calories, went too low on my goal for too long and my losses stopped. I literally had to increase my food by 2-300 calories just to lose weight again. I was so very reluctant to do that because I had worked very hard to lose the weight I had already lost. I still fall into that mindset sometimes. It's a hard thing to get out of my head since I always heard: eat less to lose weight. That isn't a completely factual statement.
  • minniestar55
    minniestar55 Posts: 346 Member
    Just wanted to wish you all the best. You're making a great start using MFP, hang in there!
  • MJH2
    MJH2 Posts: 55 Member
    I've lost 100lbs and have another 100 to go. At my top weight, 330, I lost at a rapid rate within the first month as well. You're knees and heart will love you. Just stick to your plan, make sure you're watching your nutrition as well so get in enough protein, hit your benchmarks and always remember.... it's a marathon not a sprint! It takes a long time but YOU are worth it.