Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Addicted to sugar DEBATE

System
System Posts: 1,899 MFP Staff
This discussion was created from replies split from: Addicted to sugar.

Replies

• aeloine
    aeloine Posts: 2,163 Member
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    aeloine wrote: »
    bagge72 wrote: »
    mae_bud wrote: »
    @cmriverside I'm glad someone has the same view on this. Having struggled with addiction (and gone to treatment), I know that denying the physiological component of these kinds of things actually makes it harder for us to consciously change our behaviors. If I hadn't been taught about the way my body physically responds when I'm actively engaging in my addiction, I would have continued to beat myself up for not having the willpower to just not give in. Knowing that, yes, there is an actual, tangible thing happening in my body when I do this, and this is why it is so hard to stop, helped me find my resolve to do whatever it takes to not give in. Now I think: "Mind Over Matter." Yes, my biology drives me to want to engage in these addictive things, BUT, I KNOW they aren't good. Maybe it just pisses me off that my body tries really hard to make me give it these things, so, knowing that, when I consciously decide not to, it's like a big f-u to the addiction.

Sorry for the long post. Hopefully the OP will find something helpful among my rambling.

When you went to treatment, did they just suggest you use different forms of what you are addicted to, to help you out? If it was alcohol, did they say hey you're addicted to Jack Daniels, just have a couple beers instead, and you'll kick that habit? If it was drugs, did they say hey, enough with the heroin, just switch to meth, and coke. I'm guessing not. So if these people are so addicted to sugar, why do we tell them to just switch out there candy habit for foods with different types of sugar?

This is the same discussion that you have to have when you're considering Overeaters Anonymous. You can't tell someone to cut out food. There are so many types of food out there that have naturally occurring sugars, and completely cutting it out could be detrimental to their health. You can't tell someone to NEVER eat fruit (hello, mother nature's best source of vitamins!), tomatoes, carrots, potatoes, celery, etc. Pretty much all fruit and vegetables have dietary sugar.

We CAN, however, suggest that you try to eliminate or moderate PROCESSED, ADDED sugar by adding more whole foods to your diet. It's more of a nicotine gum rather than cigarettes approach, if you want to be hyperbolic.

if sugar is addictive then why would you recommend that an addict continue to consume it?

LITERALLY what's the alternative? WHAT would they eat?