Serial Starters

Replies

• explodingmango
    explodingmango Posts: 171 Member
    Okay. "Lurking" nothing. Just had one of my biggest NSV's in forever and I've gotta share it.

My first class of the day is stress management through physical activity. We had assessments today. Mostly issues of endurance - things like how long we could hold the boat pose, or a wall sit, or a plank; stuff like that.

Well, I was the last person to drop on the wall sit. In a class where my classmates are anyone from total couch potatoes to soldiers to gymnasts. I was going for over a full minute longer than the last person before me. And I'm only about 80% recovered from that sinus infection.

I was a little discouraged this morning when I saw that it looks like I'm done dropping "shock" weigh, and that's always a dangerous feeling. After that, that feeling is GONE - and that made me realize I have a whole new method to combat it. Next time I want to restrict dangerously or purge to speed things along, I'll head to the gym instead and remind myself exactly what I'd be giving up if I went and did that (because damn, do those behaviors ever weaken me fast), and burn a few extra calories while I do it - it's a win/win.
  • Tilliesmommy1
    Tilliesmommy1 Posts: 5,326 Member
    Good evening,

My healthy plans went out the window when I saw the chocolate banana drink that we had an option to get (smoothies and fruit ice drinks were the other options). It did have banana in it.......

Thursday night and aiming for brain dead. Dog is almost completely mended from her illness. IF only I could get her to take her last pills......

Wishing all a wonderful night.
  • Tilliesmommy1
    FRIDAY

Good morning, oatmeal done (also think of adding peanut butter) - and window open.

Yesterday I combined the eye dr information and got a wrong conclusion which freaked me out. I have 2 conditions they can happen at the same time but they are exclusive to themselves - the fluid in my eye is shifting (age related) and therefore flashes and floaters and I have ocular migraines (migraines without headaches) hence pink dog and what I call ice chips in my vision. I thought the 2 were connected and could not figure out why I am having daily migraines - not having daily migraines - just the floaters and flashes. I had to go take a walk at work and the "light bulb" luckily came on during my short walk.

Thinking of using crock pot again - share any favorite recipes.

Wishing all a great Friday -TGIF!! Wave to all who follow.
  • LanaCabana537
    LanaCabana537 Posts: 3,835 Member

Good morning Sara!

Please thank Miss Tillie for the very cute card!
    Tell her that I love that it is bright yellow, and I am going to use it as a mini-folder to clamp and highlight the most important paperwork of the day - in this case a long, long pile of forms that have to be filled out for social security disability application. Ick.

Waves to everyone else ~~

BBL

*tossing bag and robe onto favorite lounge chair for later*

Hey - It's Friday! Happy Hour with the Cabana Boys later on~~

Lana
  • ASalner
    ASalner Posts: 496 Member
    Friday

Scale hopped back up .6 of a pound this morning for no apparent reason, so not a happy start to my Friday. But I will persevere. DH diagnosed with high blood pressure on Wednesday and his blood work yesterday showed highly elevated triglycerides along with his other cholesterol numbers not being great. Doctor advised low-carb, low-fat diet. Grrr. We were just getting into the groove of the low-carb, high-fat diet! DH has actually been following it and has lost 4 lbs. So, not sure what we will decide but we will do it together.

No big plans for the weekend. Budgeting, paying bills, cleaning, grocery shopping. The kids start Sunday school this Sunday morning and then DD starts her second year of confirmation on Sunday night. We may make a trip to see my grandma who just turned 88 last week. It's about an hour drive to her place. I emailed my aunt to see if Grandma is up for visitors and to be sure they don't already have plans. So, we'll see. I last saw my Grandma in July and I'm not completely sure she knew who I was. I'm pretty sure she won't remember my kids. But she's always pleasant and will visit as she is able. And re-ask the same question a lot. ;)

Lana - good luck with those forms!

Sara - I'll look for a couple of our favorite crockpot recipes and will post this weekend.

Have a great day!

Will lurk from work.

Annie
    Today's weight: 161.0 :(
    Highest weight: 177.8
    Goal: 145

• hickchic67
    hickchic67 Posts: 802 Member
    One of my favorite crock pot recipes is something the family calls
    Aztec Chicken:
    3-4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
    1 packet taco seasoning (or 3TBSP homemade)
    1 can drained & rinsed black beans
    1 can corn (not drained)
    1 jar salsa
    Layer all in order in the crockpot (i have even put the chicken in frozen and never had an issue)
    Cook 6-8 hours on low.
    Optional: 1 hour before end of cook time, add 1 package lowfat/fatfree cream cheese & let melt
    Stir and shred chicken. (usually chicken is so tender at this point that it falls apart as soon as you stir)
    Stir and serve over rice or in tortillas or over chips or as part of a salad or just in a bowl by itself. Endless options!

Super simple and everyone seems to love it. I will use left overs (if there are any! LOL) to make enchiladas.
  • hickchic67
    hickchic67 Posts: 802 Member
    Going to visit my older brother this weekend. Saturday is his granddaughter/my grand niece's 3rd birthday party. Not sure how long he will be able to stay so may have to do separate visit to his house after party. He is not doing well with this latest round of the new chemo. My SIL is despondent and is utterly exhausted trying to stay up beat for him. I feel so helpless.

• Tilliesmommy1
    lana - at work quick fyi - ss disability, do not white wash your pain/limitations/etc. in your application
  • Tilliesmommy1
    Good evening,

Seems I was nominated for one of the Annual Humankindness awards at my workplace.... Nice way to end a scary week. I know I nominated 2 people and found out another person got nominated as well. There are 50 plus in our department so it is nice to be noticed.

Eating greek yogurt and granola for dinner. Nothing else easy/quick in kitchen.

Found a pattern to knit a poncho for myself and will go shopping tomorrow to see if the yarn looks as good as it does online and what the yarn feels like. Hope it works out.

Snoring soon under Lana's Palm Tree.

Wishing all a good night
  • tlsb2016
    tlsb2016 Posts: 307 Member
    Congrats, Sara! I'd say it's a well-deserved recognition given all you do for people (and Tillie).

It's been an ugly week. I'm glad it's over.

Happy weekend all.

Tess
  • arniedog74
    arniedog74 Posts: 2,086 Member
    Sara- congratulations! You deserve it!
  • ASalner
    ASalner Posts: 496 Member
    Congratulations, Sara!!!
  • explodingmango
    Lana: Seconded what Sara said about the paperwork - err on the side of "exaggerating" your disability. Don't say what your good days are like because the people in charge of processing will read it as "I can work full time in any position 98% of the time; I just have occasional bad days - I don't really need assistance; I just need a boss I can negotiate two or three extra sick days a year with, but I'm lazy and want free money." I have several friends who have been denied disability despite only being able to get out of bed to fetch food and use the bathroom most days because of this. The system is ridiculous.

As for better things - congratulations, Sara! You definitely deserve that recognition. And I'd love to see this poncho pattern - I don't knit, but I've been wanting to learn. What are your plans for it?

As for my daily check-in, today has been...a Day. Boyfriend caught my bug despite our best efforts to keep it away from him. I'm in that phase of recovery I always have where most of my symptoms are gone, but I can't stop coughing because my throat itches like nobody's business as it's healing...which makes the healing process slower...which drags out the itching...which drags out the coughing...I hate the way my body responds to these things.

Despite that, I decided to turn my trip to the pharmacy today into a little bit of training for the upcoming race. The pharmacy is about 3/5 of a mile away, so I decided to run there and back. Did pretty good for still being a little sick! According to my phone I was running for about 11 minutes total, which puts me at the same pace I usually run at while not sick...I "cheated" a little; the timer on my phone does automatically pause when I stop at an intersection or slow to a walk in the store, but it's still a good sign!

Also had a doctor's consultation today. I'm trying to get on top of my health as it pertains to my appearance before the wedding; we're trying to take care of the damage my ED has caused to my skin and hair - which serves as more motivation not to relapse; I don't want all the cost and effort to go to waste! Thinking about that, it was (and still is!) pretty anxiety-inducing, like even just a consultation is a Big Damned Commitment, but it's a kind of positive anxiety.

I have a few small plans for tomorrow, but mostly it's just gonna be cooking, homework, and more recovery.
  • dawn_westbury
    dawn_westbury Posts: 358 Member
    I seem to be on track for a couple of weeks then I’m done .. then I’m back then I’m done etc etc
  • Tilliesmommy1
    SATURDAY

Good morning,

Dawn - why only a couple of weeks? what gets in the way to continue? Make small goals/habit changes that you can do for a long time (like drink one more glass of water- walk around the block)?? Welcome to our board and post when you can.

Woke up too hot around midnight - dog was coughing. Dog had a cough fit and all is quiet at the moment - I will call vet and ask when they open if I need to bring her in. I turned on ceiling fan and eventually got back to sleep, but it will be nice if I can get a little more before my day starts.

Would like to make crock pot lasagna but it makes too many servings / but it does freeze well.... I have today to decide if I get food tomorrow for crockpot so verdict not in yet.

Exploding- I did see your post at about 1am - slow steady steps forwards and it is all for a positive reason.... you can do baby steps if you cut any situation into small enough steps. Maya Angelou said the one thing you can do in the worst situation is breathe - so that is a baby step.

Wave to all who follow. BBL
  • LanaCabana537
    LanaCabana537 Posts: 3,835 Member
    edited September 2017
    Good morning everybody~~Happy Saturday!

Sara and Mango - thank you for the advice. I appreciate it greatly.

And Sara - Congratulations on the nomination! That is nice indeed. I hope you get more sleep and Miss Tillie feels better. Allergies with her? Smart to call vet, just in case.

Welcome to Dawn W!
    Waves to Annie and Tess and Dawn and Kathryn and Samuels and Saltine and Ali and Vanessa and Velocity and anyone else who lurks or drops in later on.

*waving to Cabana Boy for more black coffee*

Lana

242.3 today
    250.0 highest
    185.0 goal
  • dawn_westbury
    SATURDAY

Good morning,

Dawn - why only a couple of weeks? what gets in the way to continue? Make small goals/habit changes that you can do for a long time (like drink one more glass of water- walk around the block)?? Welcome to our board and post when you can.

Woke up too hot around midnight - dog was coughing. Dog had a cough fit and all is quiet at the moment - I will call vet and ask when they open if I need to bring her in. I turned on ceiling fan and eventually got back to sleep, but it will be nice if I can get a little more before my day starts.

Would like to make crock pot lasagna but it makes too many servings / but it does freeze well.... I have today to decide if I get food tomorrow for crockpot so verdict not in yet.

Exploding- I did see your post at about 1am - slow steady steps forwards and it is all for a positive reason.... you can do baby steps if you cut any situation into small enough steps. Maya Angelou said the one thing you can do in the worst situation is breathe - so that is a baby step.

Wave to all who follow. BBL

I think it’s because I’ll have a “cheat day” then from there I kinda dwindle off .. I’m not sure.
  • dawn_westbury
    Good morning everybody~~Happy Saturday!

Sara and Mango - thank you for the advice. I appreciate it greatly.

And Sara - Congratulations on the nomination! That is nice indeed. I hope you get more sleep and Miss Tillie feels better. Allergies with her? Smart to call vet, just in case.

Welcome to Dawn W!
    Waves to Annie and Tess and Dawn and Kathryn and Samuels and Saltine and Ali and Vanessa and Velocity and anyone else who lurks or drops in later on.

*waving to Cabana Boy for more black coffee*

Lana

242.3 today
    250.0 highest
    185.0 goal

Thanks!!
  • LeLoupVit
    LeLoupVit Posts: 18 Member
    I put on two pounds after losing a couple of pounds. In so doing, I backtracked a little. Nonetheless, I now more than ever want to work towards reaching my goals, weight loss and otherwise. And it is motivating to be in the company of those who want the same.

Much success to us all!
  • explodingmango
    Morning all.

Rough start to the day. Couldn't get to sleep last night because I was having a C-PTSD episode brought on by finding another race I want to sign up for - suddenly ended up remembering my mother telling me not to do these things because I'd just be the slowest person there and people would make fun of me. What the hell kind of parent does that?

I have days when I think I'm perfectly fine, there's nothing wrong with me, my diagnoses are just exaggerated versions of my bad days but for the most part there's nothing wrong with me. Then I have a night like that and spend the next day feeling sick because what if she was right?

Hopefully I can shake this soon.