Seeking advice: Increasing body fat % and maintaining muscles

2»

Replies

• ShopCart2
    ShopCart2 Posts: 9 Member
    @psuLemon Thanks for your advice! I'll dim down the cardio and focus more on performance (with weights?).
  • donkey9512
    donkey9512 Posts: 60 Member
    edited September 2017
    sijomial wrote: »
    donkey9512 wrote: »
    I think sleep, nutrition and rest days are the most important factors improving fitness. Excercise is catabolic and weakens you. Excercise is merely the catalyst.

So following that logic the more I sleep and the less I exercise the fitter I will get?
    Wow.

Sijjoial, please read again what I posted. You still need the exercise.

I will add that the catalyst is necessary and is the spark that triggers the protein synthesis.

Exercise is a catalyst that starts the process for strength gains.

Rest and recovery and food provide the fuel. It is during rest time that we rebuild our muscles.
    Steps:
    1) excercise
    2) rest
    3) food
    4) repeat

PS: TO Answer your question, I do believe that some people can benefit from more rest and sleep. Yet thatvdoes not imply the opposite of less excercise. Your logic is flawed. Not mine.
  • donkey9512
    donkey9512 Posts: 60 Member
    edited September 2017
    Excercise is catabolic and triggers the adaptive response. Like Shopcary2 says, excercise causes micro tears in the muscle fibers'.

Initially, after a heavy bench sensation, don't you feel weaker? 48 hrs later you recover and become stronger.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    sijomial wrote: »
    I think sleep, nutrition and rest days are the most important factors improving fitness. Excercise is catabolic and weakens you. Excercise is merely the catalyst.

So following that logic the more I sleep and the less I exercise the fitter I will get?
    Wow.

Sijjoial, please read again what I posted. You still need the exercise.

I will add that the catalyst is necessary and is the spark that triggers the protein synthesis.

Exercise is a catalyst that starts the process for strength gains.

Rest and recovery and food provide the fuel. It is during rest time that we rebuild our muscles.
    Steps:
    1) excercise
    2) rest
    3) food
    4) repeat

PS: TO Answer your question, I do believe that some people can benefit from more rest and sleep. Yet thatvdoes not imply the opposite of less excercise. Your logic is flawed. Not mine.

I did read your post - you listed "the most important factors" none of which help in the slightest without exercise.
    How interesting your list now has excercise (sic) as #1.

None of my exercise weakens me, it stresses my capabilities so that I adapt and get fitter and stronger. Yes I do have recovery periods, I'm not disagreeing on that point. Today my legs are recovering from a long cycle ride, tomorrow my upper body will be recovering from today's workout.

That you failed to express your opinion clearly is the fault of the writer and not the reader. If you can't take a little gentle ribbing then suggest you proof read before you post.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    MichSmish wrote: »
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Well, for runners it is four rest days out of seven. Maybe anecdotal but it seems I get stronger on my rest days. A pattern of set-up then growth.

You are monitoring your body closely. Learn from experience. If an exercise is not doing it for you, change it.

4 rest days out of 7, for a runner, is waaaaaay excessive and unnecessary. Only running 3 days a week? I mean sure that's fine, but no way are 4 rest days/week necessary. Lol. Maybe you were making a bad joke?

OP, the bf% reading from the scale is most likely not super accurate. Your plan sounds good though. Keep it up, and follow through with your plan to see a doc.

I've been running for decades and I only run 2-3 days a week because I'm stronger when I'm rested. Overtraining leads to injury - at least in my experience. I think it's cool if people want to run more often, but it's not a joke that some of us perform better with more rest. I run long-distance, though. Maybe if I only ran a couple of miles it wouldn't be a big deal to run every day... B)
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    ShopCart2 wrote: »
    @Causalien I think even some hardcore female bodybuilders and athletes lose their menstrual period when they go below a certain body fat %. Thanks for your input! I'll get my body fat % checked at the doctor's.

but you are not an athlete or a bodybuilder, you have lost your period through calorie restriction and excessive exercise....
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    jgnatca wrote: »

do you cross train? i only ask as the article recommends running 3-4 times per week, then cross training 1-2 times. which is different to running 2-3 times per week and doing nothing else.

that being said, whatever works.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    I am not, at the moment cross training but when I was it didn't hurt. I don't do enough for my upper body. I was sternly instructed to take a full rest day once a week.
  • AudreyJDuke
    AudreyJDuke Posts: 1,092 Member
    Great discussion and ideas!