Confused and sick of it

2»

Replies

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    OP, if you are syncing an activity tracker, you should set yourself to sedentary. Then when your tracker syncs and adds calories, it will bring your goal up to your actual activity level. I also find it easier to log my additional exercise only with my activity tracker so those calories are added as well.

You are probably having problems because your actual activity isn't matching your Active activity setting.

Your other option would be not to sync your tracker and just let your activity setting give you the same amount of calories every day, just make sure you live up to that activity level!
  • Yup OP I was totally having that issue. So I set my Fitbit to sedentary ( as I work an office job),it was confusing the f**k out of me.
    Now I just use Fitbit to track my steps and sleep and MFP for food and activity level.
  • dadsafrantic
    dadsafrantic Posts: 183 Member
    Yup OP I was totally having that issue. So I set my Fitbit to sedentary ( as I work an office job),it was confusing the f**k out of me.
    Now I just use Fitbit to track my steps and sleep and MFP for food and activity level.

what?
  • dadsafrantic
    dadsafrantic Posts: 183 Member
    edited September 2017
    lahcjh wrote: »
    Please... Someone........?...

i set mfp to active. i use fb to track activity. i set my actinity on mfp to active and log all food and water. i always start with a deficit from fb because the setting on the app have a higher calorie burn. i generally eat under the earned calorie intake unless the earned calories are more than the set amount.

i find fb is easiest to use for me. i did the apple watch thing and it was never simple for me. the apple watch is now one of my more expensive paper weights.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,675 Member
    I set my activity level to sedentary, because most of my non-exercise time is spent sitting. I manually add in purposeful exercise - walking, running, exercise bike. I ignore steps done aside from that, because they are part of ordinary living and because most of my steps come from my walking or running. I eat back all my exercise calories. That works well for me.
  • lahcjh
    lahcjh Posts: 10 Member
    edited September 2017
    I have a active lifestyle. I walk 8000-12,000 stepsa day. I work 5 days a week doing constant walking and lifting.

I have a goal of 1350 calories of eating a day. Let's say I go over or am close to my goal. At the end of the day, I want credit for my 10000 steps. My 30 minute virgorous cardio. So I log that. I'd like to see what I burned for the day towards my food calorie goal. I'd like to know I gained 500 extra calories in doing so. But guess what... It's a zero toward exercise. Zero calories given back from exercise.

I'm just confused why there is a comparison at all. Use strictly my tracker and go off of that. Period. It's simple math. You ate 1400 and went over 50 calories... But wait... you worked your butt off. You burned 500 of that which would bring your calories for the day to 900 and you'd have a reminder of 450 for the day. Simple math.

But instead I'm -600. Lol. Like WTF. I don't want a zero. I want my tracker results and the math to follow it.

I have my misfit tracker now and it's been at sedetary. Did 235 steps in an hour and my calorie burn in ZERO.

soooooo....????........
  • lahcjh
    lahcjh Posts: 10 Member
    Ok then someone explain how when it was -200 the other day, I tested it by adding exercise burn of 200. You'd thing the negative would go away right? Nope. Was even lower.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,817 Member
    I have a active lifestyle. I walk 8000-12,000 stepsa day. I work 5 days a week doing constant walking and lifting.

I have a goal of 1350 calories of eating a day. Let's say I go over or am close to my goal. At the end of the day, I want credit for my 10000 steps. My 30 minute virgorous cardio. So I log that. I'd like to see what I burned for the day towards my food calorie goal. I'd like to know I gained 500 extra calories in doing so. But guess what... It's a zero toward exercise. Zero calories given back from exercise.

I'm just confused why there is a comparison at all. Use strictly my tracker and go off of that. Period. It's simple math. You ate 1400 and went over 50 calories... But wait... you worked your butt off. You burned 500 of that which would bring your calories for the day to 900 and you'd have a reminder of 450 for the day. Simple math.

But instead I'm -600. Lol. Like WTF. I don't want a zero. I want my tracker results and the math to follow it.

I have my misfit tracker now and it's been at sedetary. Did 235 steps in an hour and my calorie burn in ZERO.

soooooo....????........

Ok ... no idea what you're talking about.

I entered my information into MFP.
    I chose sedentary as my activity level (I only walk 10,000 steps a day).
    MFP gave me 1250 cal.

Then I enter whatever I deem as "exercise". "Exercise" includes walking as part of my commute, walking at lunch, climbing stairs, walking or cycling after work with my husband, and cycling long distances on the weekends.

"Exercise" does not include walking back and forth to the photocopier, kitchen, toilet etc. at work, walking while grocery shopping, walking back and forth in the house, walking around the yard, etc. etc.

That seemed like a really easy approach for me ... and it worked. :)
  • AmandaDanceMore
    AmandaDanceMore Posts: 298 Member
    edited September 2017
    No offense, but I do not consider 8000 steps an "active" lifestyle. FB recommends 10k, at least. I hit 10k (when I still wore an FB) just walking my dogs on a daily basis. I do other stuff, too (yoga, some jogging, cycling, and I ballroom dance 4-5 nights a week), but I still consider myself sedentary. Now, if I was using MFP back in the day when I walked, on average, 4 miles a day for work, plus lots of heavy lifting, and a lot of other very physically demanding stuff, I would consider myself active, but, then again, I didn't need MFP back then since I was a skinny little b**ch!!!!

I would change your setting to sedentary and see if that solves your problem.
  • bendyourkneekatie
    bendyourkneekatie Posts: 696 Member
    Ok then someone explain how when it was -200 the other day, I tested it by adding exercise burn of 200. You'd thing the negative would go away right? Nope. Was even lower.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mathematics
  • PennStateChick
    PennStateChick Posts: 327 Member
    The only thing I can think of is that your activity level is off. If you have it set to "active" on MFP, you won't get additional calories until you reach 10,000 steps. However, if you have it set to "sedentary," then you will get a step adjustment for more calories using your fitbit.

I have my account set for sedentary. I don't track my workouts separately from my steps (with the exception of bike rides). So, yesterday, I did a 4 mile run, which added to my 18,541 steps for the day. I was given an extra 984 exercise calories yesterday. On a less active day, I didn't run, but still got 10,124 steps. On that day, I was given an extra 447 exercise calories.

If my account was set to active, I would have had more calories to start the day, but I wouldn't have gotten as much (if anything) for those days.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    No offense, but I do not consider 8000 steps an "active" lifestyle. FB recommends 10k, at least. I hit 10k (when I still wore an FB) just walking my dogs on a daily basis. I do other stuff, too (yoga, some jogging, cycling, and I ballroom dance 4-5 nights a week), but I still consider myself sedentary. Now, if I was using MFP back in the day when I walked, on average, 4 miles a day for work, plus lots of heavy lifting, and a lot of other very physically demanding stuff, I would consider myself active, but, then again, I didn't need MFP back then since I was a skinny little b**ch!!!!

I would change your setting to sedentary and see if that solves your problem.

7500 steps is active on MFP.

OP, have you tried unsyncing and then resyncing your Misfit? There seems to be an issue with MFP and Misfit "talking" to each other.

If that doesn't fix it, contact support.