Addicted to the scale :-(

I weigh myself in the morning, after a workout and at night... I know my weight will go up and down but I cant seem to stop checking it. I get motivated yet disappointed in the same week. Thinking I will just toss the dang thing..... and go by how I feel and how my clothes feel on.
Looking for friends who are positive and supportive yet straight forward too...

Replies

• msaharic147
    msaharic147 Posts: 1 Member
    I've been a scale addict for years too lol. This time around I started my weight loss in July and made a commitment to only get on the scale once a month. I'm tempted a lot to get on but then remember how motivating it is to see a huge number change when I haven't weighed in a while. My aim is to lose 5# per month over 5 months to reach goal, so I only weigh myself on the last day of each month. Good luck!
  • Andy10725
    Andy10725 Posts: 68 Member
    Then create 3 different weight trackers instead of putting them on the same one. One for morning, one for post work out, and one for at night. Then those number would have a fair previous number to compare to. Hopefully this will help reducing the negative mood.
  • IsabeausRose
    IsabeausRose Posts: 129 Member
    I was addicted to the scale too and it made me absolutely miserable and unhappy. I had to decide for myself what was normal, healthy and realistic. So I decided to weigh myself once a week now. It has really freed me emotionally and mentally. I go by measurements and how my stomach feels when I run my hands over it for example. And I just love the way my body looks and feels after having reached my goal weight and that's what truly matters.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,463 Member
    The trash can is a very effective wight loss tool.

I also like the 3 separate trackers. Maybe you'll convince yourself that 3X per day is meaningless.

But then you're still stuck with everyday, which is not that much better.
  • jrowden0711
    jrowden0711 Posts: 136 Member
    edited September 2017
    I am definitely guilty of weighing myself multiple times a day. But, I also understand my body weight trends by now too and just know that I will most likely weigh roughly 2 lbs more before bed than when I wake up. Therefore, I only really count and log my fasting weight first thing when I get up. Anything else I just take with a grain of salt.
  • theabsentmindednurse
    theabsentmindednurse Posts: 405 Member
    edited September 2017
    Have you tried tracking your weight loss a different way?

Take weekly measurements-Photographs?
    Use these as a log you can use as a regular diary and weigh yourself in the morning on the same day?
    It may give you a more accurate record of your progress and give an emotional break from your current routine.

Just a thought :D
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    You could just stop.
  • Phil413Strong
    Phil413Strong Posts: 12 Member
    You could just stop.

You are right. I cold cut stopped and weighed myself today since my post and im 4 pounds gone. I love seeing the bigger number. Moving forward im only weighing in on Mondays.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    You could still weigh yourself every day but then take your weekly average to compare your weight week by week. That's what I think I'm going to start doing so I don't have to worry about the day to day fluctuations.
  • GlassAngyl
    GlassAngyl Posts: 478 Member
    My sister in law took away my scales (I have 2 because I like to take the mean and come up with a number) because I kept weighing myself. Seeing fluctuations don't bother me though. In fact, the sciency part of me likes to find patterns and I was fascinated to see what hours I was heavier during and what foods fluctuated my weight the most. Oh well.. she gives it back once in awhile..