Hunger- suck it up or no?

When cutting calories is it expected to feel some hunger until you get use to the lower calorie intake? I know eating more protein and filling foods will help but completely?

I'm just a bit worried that feeling hungry means I'm doing more harm than good.

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    When cutting calories is it expected to feel some hunger until you get use to the lower calorie intake?
    It's expected to feel some hunger just by being alive. Cutting calories healthily shouldn't make you any appreciably more hungry. If you undereat, you won't, and shouldn't try to, get used to that.
    I know eating more protein and filling foods will help but completely?
    What's satiating is individual, as well as how hunger and satiety feels, which are also situational and subjective. Aim to eat enough, and balanced.
    I'm just a bit worried that feeling hungry means I'm doing more harm than good.
    That totally depends. Are you eating enough, quantity and quality? You're doing fine. You may still miss some foods or rituals, which can have an impact on your willingness to comply, but physically, you're not harming yourself.
  • julesEMS2016
    julesEMS2016 Posts: 44 Member
    If the jemhh is correct in that you try and keep to 1200 and are a new mom, you need to eat more. That being said, it really depends on the level of hunger. If you are so hungry that you are getting tired, weak, shaky, nauseous, or are getting a headache then you need to eat something. If it's not something you had figured into your day, then pick something small that will help sustain you until your next meal.
  • jennydelgado09
    jennydelgado09 Posts: 119 Member
    jemhh wrote: »
    I don't usually feel more than "it's dinner time" kind of hunger while cutting.

In your last thread you mentioned that you are a new mom and trying to keep to 1200 calories. If that's the case, you are likely just plain old eating too little.

After thinking about it more I'm going to use 1200 as base and add as needed. I'll add in snacks or give myself a larger plate at dinner, etc. I worked out this morning so I'm going to add 200 more calories. I think if i don't do that it'll be too easy for me to go over. Whereas if I have something set then I can just add to that. Either with snacks or more at a meal. I'm not planning on just sticking to 1200, just a place to start.
    I'm no longer breastfeeding so that's out of the way.

So I should be more like between 1400-1500 calories a day.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member

In your last thread you mentioned that you are a new mom and trying to keep to 1200 calories. If that's the case, you are likely just plain old eating too little.

After thinking about it more I'm going to use 1200 as base and add as needed. I'll add in snacks or give myself a larger plate at dinner, etc. I worked out this morning so I'm going to add 200 more calories. I think if i don't do that it'll be too easy for me to go over. Whereas if I have something set then I can just add to that. Either with snacks or more at a meal. I'm not planning on just sticking to 1200, just a place to start.

MFP is designed for you to eat back your exercise calories, your calorie deficit is already built in the 1200. Eat back your exercise calories.

Adjust your rate of loss to be slower if you need to, the 1200 is a min amount that in no way fits everyone.. usually short, older and sedentary with little to no exercise fits the 1200 calorie range.
  • Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member

I like how you are thinking about this process. You are listening to your body and considering different options both about the meaning of what you are experiencing, and how to respond. Your plan sounds reasonable; continue to gather data and making changes as you assess what the data mean. If your overall goal is to be a healthy person at a healthy weight, and your assessments and strategies keep this goal in mind, then you should be fine.

• shaunshaikh
    shaunshaikh Posts: 616 Member
    Eat your weight in grams of protein, make sure to get at least 30g of fiber a day, eat a full 5 servings of vegetables a day minimum and you will notice a big difference in how hungry/full you feel.
  • ZoneFive
    ZoneFive Posts: 570 Member
    Eat your weight in grams of protein, make sure to get at least 30g of fiber a day, eat a full 5 servings of vegetables a day minimum and you will notice a big difference in how hungry/full you feel.

That's likely too much protein for anyone who's not a bodybuilder. The multiplier I know is .6 - .8 grams per pound of LBM.
  • bribucks
    bribucks Posts: 431 Member
    Is it stomach hunger, senses hunger, or mind hunger?

Meaning, did you smell something tasty/look at a picture/thought about cake and got "hungry?" (Most cravings).

Are you emotionally upset, or bored, and therefore "hungry?"

Or, is it actually true hunger?

Yes, you will experience some hunger as your body gets used to eating less and eating differently. If it gets to the point where you feel shaky, lightheaded, or that dull-nauseous-acidic stomach feeling, eat something small like an apple or a yogurt.
  • Duchy82
    Duchy82 Posts: 560 Member
    A little hunger is fine, I tend to suck that up, to define that, for me it is hunger about 30 min to an hour before the next meal. Constant hunger or so hungry I grab the first high sugar/fat treat and don't stop until I'm stuffed means I'm not eating enough.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    some foods tend to trigger me to be hungry later - like yummy carby junk...so for me, if I'm suddenly super hungry I try to drink water or coffee or tea - this seems to make the 'rebound hunger' go away...if I'm still super hungry half an hour later, then I'll figure my body really does need food and get something to eat...I try to go for something high protein if I'm going to snack...
  • belleflop
    belleflop Posts: 154 Member
    The feeling of hunger is an amazing thing our body evolved into doing as our ancestors roamed the plains for days searching for food sources. Sadly due to many societal factors a lot of humans today mistake the feeling of "hunger" with the body just being dehydrated. In short, feeling hunger (real stomach gnawing hunger) is extremely good for you. Your body is communicating to you it requires substance. All humans should re-calibrate their understanding of hunger from time to time so that other types of "fake" hunger can be dealt with accordingly. Brianneangel above points to some of these alternative types.
  • shaunshaikh
    shaunshaikh Posts: 616 Member
    edited September 2017
    ZoneFive wrote: »

That's likely too much protein for anyone who's not a bodybuilder. The multiplier I know is .6 - .8 grams per pound of LBM.

1g of protein per pound of lean body mass is what I see everywhere or 0.6-0.8 g of total body weight, but I also don't see that used as a maximum at any rate. If you eat more than the recommendation I have not seen evidence of adverse effects.
  • jdlobb
    jdlobb Posts: 1,232 Member
    edited September 2017
    If you're struggling with hunger try changing your macro ratios and the types of food you're eating until you find a place where you're not hungry. Maybe your body is better satisfied with more carbs, maybe with more fat. Maybe you find your'e better satisfied if you have carbs in the morning and fat at night, or visa versa.

You shouldn't have to struggle with hunger to diet effectively. It can just be challenging to figure out how your body wants to eat to stay satisfied.

Trying to just "eat less" is, from what I've seen, a pretty lousy way to diet, and will always leave you hungry. Instead you need to figure out how to satisfy your hunger, while maintaining a deficit. There are lots of ways to do this.
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,219 Member
    JaydedMiss wrote: »

If you feel hungry, Think of a big plate of vegetables- If youll happily eat that do so your hungry. If you only want to eat something specific or sweet or savory its likely just a craving and your not actually hungry, So push through it. Aslong as your hitting a reasonable calorie intake.

This sounds like a very nice advice.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    JaydedMiss wrote: »

If you feel hungry, Think of a big plate of vegetables- If youll happily eat that do so your hungry. If you only want to eat something specific or sweet or savory its likely just a craving and your not actually hungry, So push through it. Aslong as your hitting a reasonable calorie intake.

I can be light headed from being hungry and nope, I'd rather be hungry than eat a big plate of veggies.

But yeah, I'm usually hungry if I try to keep a deficit now, unless I completely avoid any 'empty' calories (stuff that doesn't fill me up). It wasn't an issue when I had more than 15 lbs to lose though!