Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

What are your unpopular opinions about health / fitness?

Replies

• singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Cream cheese frosting for the win
  • lokihen
    lokihen Posts: 382 Member
    lokihen wrote: »
    "Pepper Culture" has taken over my workplace! Co-workers are bringing in their harvests of hot peppers; yesterday it was ghost, habanero and jalapeno.

Peer pressure and offense sure to follow.

And now I'm wondering if we work at the same place.

Did so many employees start keeping a bicycle in the company fitness center that they had to buy more bike racks?
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    "Pepper Culture" has taken over my workplace! Co-workers are bringing in their harvests of hot peppers; yesterday it was ghost, habanero and jalapeno.

And now I'm wondering if we work at the same place.

Did so many employees start keeping a bicycle in the company fitness center that they had to buy more bike racks?

Nope. We don't have a company fitness center. We do have a bike rack, but it's out in the parking lot and only one person uses it.
  • French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    Bry_Lander wrote: »
    Denying the existence of a Cake Culture seems a little silly when the mere mention of "cake" inspires multiple pages of passionate gushing over cake and other superior desserts...

Corrected.

Preach.

On a related note, I have discovered that you can get a flight of house-made pies (a generous "half" slice of 3 different kinds) at the same place where the breaded pork tenderloin sandwich was invented, in Indiana, of course.

Fabulousness.

You need to warn a guy prior to posting this material - NSFW!

We went with a full slice of sugar cream pie, and got a flight of wild black raspberry (double crust), sour cream - blueberry, and chocolate cream. :)
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member

1: Where do you work?
    2: Are you hiring?
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Macy9336 wrote: »
    bpetrosky wrote: »
    Macy9336 wrote: »
    I'm late to the thread (it's been a fun read!) but figured I'd throw in my two cents...

I hate the "my coworker is trying to sabotage my weight loss by bringing in treats!" whine. And I don't just say this as a coworker who brings in said treats, I say it as a human being who has free will and doesn't have a paranoid chip on her shoulder, chocolate or otherwise.

You are not so special, and the world not so petty, that Becky from accounting is trying to derail your – yes, YOUR! PERSONAL!– weight loss goals. Even if she is, you aren't tied to your office chair while she crams cookies fois gras-style down your gullet (if this is the case, I think OSHA would be a better organization to contact than MFP). Occam's razor would say that your coworker is trying to be nice and, also, you aren't the only person in the office, buttercup. Maybe Josh from marketing or that guy who delivers the mail whom you've never bothered to learn the name of would like an afternoon pick-me-up.

The "solutions" to this "problem" are usually just as bad. I especially hate the, "throw it away in front of them, they'll get the hint" one. Again, I AM that coworker who brings in homemade goods, and based on feedback, I am a damn good cook. I've also lost 35lb in the last year. I love to bake (it's very soothing) but I don't have much of a sweet tooth so I undoubtedly make more than I know I'd eat for weeks. So, why not share the bounty? Honestly, if a coworker accepted a brownie and then made sure that I saw them throw it in the trash, I wouldn't "take the hint" that I'm not supposed to bring in treats. I'd be a little hurt because I put time, money and effort into doing something nice for the office and you're frankly coming across like a world-class kittenhole and remarkable egotist for no good reason. Even if your coworker is bringing in dollar-store doughnuts, they spent their money to be nice. Hell, my supervisor's treat last month sent me into anaphylaxis and I don't shout "murderer!" every time I see her (sometimes. Not every time.)

Maybe I'm completely wrong. Maybe there really are Brazil-esque businesses where your coworkers surround you chanting "EAT! THE! CAKE!!! EAT! THE! CAKE!!!" and you get a zap to the cajones if you refuse. Is that what real office jobs are like? I've worked in non-profits my professional career, we're kind of the hippies of the corporate world.

I personally think this cake culture is a damaging maladaption. It's not a "nice" thing to bring in fat pills. It's definitely a bad thing to do. But because we have a cake culture in offices, it's almost expected that everyone take their turn bringing in sugary, fatty foods with which to tempt each other. Also to order and share a cake when a coworker has a birthday...yuck. It's just not a healthy practice for us humans to have adopted and yet we have and there's all kind of societal expectations around accepting the food, taking your turn to bring in food, etc. The sooner gone the better.

This is probably the saddest, most blinkered view of social behavior I have ever seen expressed on the forums here.

Lol. I guess it would surprise you then if I said my bachelors degree was in Anthropology. Don't feel sad for me though! I feel sad for all the poor blue pill lemmings chomping down on cake and donuts in offices every day. I don't think cake culture should be banned, I'm pretty libertarian, but it would be better for us as a species facing an obesity crisis if we didn't have this cultural norm.

I think it's somewhat odd that you're attaching so much significance to the fact that people are sometimes eating cake at work that it makes you feel sorry for them.

Maybe they're just people who are sometimes having cake at work and have lives that are as full of happiness, challenges, and hopes as those who never eat cake at work.

Since all my children have grown up and moved out I rather enjoy the occasional cake at work because I rarely bake at home anymore. With just me and my husband here we either have to eat more than we'd like or end up throwing some out. Or taking it to work to share.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    wmd1979 wrote: »
    Someone brought a carrot cake with cream cheese icing in to my workplace today. We almost never really make anything like that at home so it is nice having the option to enjoy a treat from time to time. Plus carrots are a vegetable so its kind of like I am having a salad.

1: Where do you work?
    2: Are you hiring?
This discussion has been closed.