Any tips on how to reverse prediabetes?

Hi,
I just turned 30. That number is significant as my father and brother were diagnosed with diabetes at this age. So as a result of these 2 factors, I decided to get my full bloodwork done. Got my reports back, I have fasting BSL of 99mg/dl and HbA1C of 5.9. The HbA1C puts me smack dab in the middle of prediabetic range (5.5-6.4).

I have read posts regarding how people were able to reverse there prediabetes and got rid of HTN medication. I am planning to cut a few carbs from my diet and increase my activity and make it more regular instead of random spurts. I plan to jog and cycle 30-40 minutes alternate days and pair it with 3 sessions of weight training every week.

Anybody has any suggestions regarding my routine, or general other tips are welcome to share them.

TIA

Replies

• CaliMomTeach
    CaliMomTeach Posts: 745 Member
    Yes. My doctor diagnosed me with prediabetes. I lost about 50 pounds. My numbers dropped to well within normal range. I think that eating less naturally led to a lower sugar intake. I don't know if you are overweight or not, but if you are I would suggest trying to get into a healthy BMI and get retested. I still eat icecream, cookies, and chocolate, but just not as much as a I used to.
  • aggiepringle6665
    aggiepringle6665 Posts: 68 Member
    Lower sugar/carb intake helped me
  • teralina2
    teralina2 Posts: 4 Member
    I never had the official prediabetes diagnosis, but did manage to fend it off for over 5 years by eating very, very low carb before I got the diabetes diagnosis (family predisposition as well), and am considered "controlled by diet". Since being diagnosed on 8/7/17 I have exercised a minimum of 30 minutes daily and have only missed 3 days--nothing crazy, just walking, strength training, etc. I have also made diet modifications--believe it or not, including adding back some carbs, which improved my blood sugar levels! I've lost weight and my blood sugar numbers are really good. I'm not sure if you can do this with a pre-diabetes designation, but if you can, ask your doc to refer you to diabetes education classes. I think they should be mandatory to take early--there are people in my class who've struggled for 20+ years without the classes.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Lose weight. That's all that was needed for me. You may or may not need more, but in most cases that's the most potent way to lower blood sugar baseline independent of food intake, especially if you are obese. Experimenting with carb levels to see what works best, at least until your blood sugar stabilizes, is a good call. Increased activity is also a good call. Resistance training tends to increase muscle insulin sensitivity, so that's another good call. You basically have it figured out and all you need now is a bit of patience as it can take time. The only things I would also suggest is a glucose meter and to find ways to manage stress if your stress levels are high, and that includes not introducing extra dieting stress. Try to figure out a way of eating that doesn't feel too stressful to you and use the glucose meter to judge the level of carbs/types of foods and keep your blood sugar more stable.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Lose 10-20 lbs. Start walking 30 min daily, or work up to it if needed.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Lose a lot of weight. Do a lot of cardio.
  • rbiss
    rbiss Posts: 422 Member
    The best thing you can do it loose weight.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,030 Member
    edited September 2017
    Lots of good suggestions on exercise and weight loss. What's helped me get my A1C# down is changing what I eat. Making meals at home rather than eating fast food/processed carbs. When I don't focus on any of the above my #'s are likely to go up. Exercise in particular helps in keeping my # in a good place!

There's a Type2 diabetes group on MFP you can join if you'd like to learn more ... There are pre-diabetics in the group as well. :smiley:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1772-type-2-diabetes-support-group
  • acninee
    acninee Posts: 2 Member
    I would suggest that you pick up a copy of Dr. Bernstein’s Diabetes Solution by Dr. Richard K Bernstein. Get the latest edition. Dr. B. explains the disease and how you can help to control it with diet. I have had success with it. My doctor thinks I've reversed it, but I test by blood glucose several times a day and what I see when my diet isn't perfectly balanced is that it's more a matter of controlling it, or slowing the progression. It's a lot of work, and I'd advise you to cut carbs out of your diet now. Go through the cupboards, if it has carbs donate it to a food bank, and restock with low carb foods. You'll want to plan carefully, without carbs it can take some planning to get enough calories. Good luck.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    acninee wrote: »
    I would suggest that you pick up a copy of Dr. Bernstein’s Diabetes Solution by Dr. Richard K Bernstein. Get the latest edition. Dr. B. explains the disease and how you can help to control it with diet. I have had success with it. My doctor thinks I've reversed it, but I test by blood glucose several times a day and what I see when my diet isn't perfectly balanced is that it's more a matter of controlling it, or slowing the progression. It's a lot of work, and I'd advise you to cut carbs out of your diet now. Go through the cupboards, if it has carbs donate it to a food bank, and restock with low carb foods. You'll want to plan carefully, without carbs it can take some planning to get enough calories. Good luck.

There is no need to completely cut out carbs if having carbs makes for better adherence. This is especially true for someone who is not yet diabetic. Sticking to the diet and losing weight if extra weight is present is more important than anything at this point.
  • thechiopodist
    thechiopodist Posts: 216 Member
    Losing weigh is the most important part, and cutting right back on sugar is a close second. You don't need a special diet, just choose healthy options most of the time and treat yourself now and then.
    If you use this app to lose weight then you will be guided to healthier foods naturally with the settings. Also excersizing regularly is very I.portant, you dont have to spend hours at the gym, unless you want to, a brisk walk every day is a Good start. Good luck. :)
  • mlcase61
    mlcase61 Posts: 46 Member
    I had hypertension, borderline diabetes, sleep apnea. Slept with a CPAP. I started low carb in January. By May, I had lost 40 pounds. My hypertension was gone. Including meds for it. I was no longer borderline diabetic. My sleep apnea along with the CPAP gone. At this point I have lost 55.5 pounds. I have much more stamina. I no longer feel I'm going to pass out on exertion and I require less sleep. Losing weight will definitely help. But carbs do raise blood sugar because the body converts it to glucose.
  • viajera99
    viajera99 Posts: 252 Member
    Dr. Bernstein's book is indeed excellent, although his strict low-carb advice is directed more towards Type 1 diabetics than Type 2 DM. The truth is that for 99% of Type 2 diabetics (and pre-diabetics), the miracle cure is weight-loss with a helping of exercise on the side, as many have already said.
  • MeemawCanDoIt
    MeemawCanDoIt Posts: 92 Member
    I have insulin resistance associated with Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome. This often leads to diabetes. I cut carbs to less than 100g a day, do not consume liquid calories, and avoid general sweets. I've lost over 50 pounds. My A1c dropped to 4.7 and my insulin is doing so much better! Cut the sugars, reduce carbs, and lose weight. You'll see results.
  • corgarian
    corgarian Posts: 366 Member
    Obviously losing weight is best but when I found myself in the prediabetic waters i changed my diet and even before weight came off my new blood tests came back normal.

Your diet is going to be key and funny enough weight tends to follow due to diet. Cut your sugars and processed carbs down, get rid of the junk you know your body doesn't need. Get your blood work done again in 3 months and see how the numbers are changing.
  • lisabinco
    lisabinco Posts: 1,016 Member
    I completely switched my diet to the books "Eat To Live" and "The End of Diabetes" by Dr. Joel Fuhrman after being diagnosed pre-diabetic in 2010. Having a mother on 3 times a day insulin already, and a younger sibling with diabetes, I knew I didn't want to end up the same. I am completely non-diabetic now (blood sugars in the 70-80s ranges now), 40 pounds lighter, no longer on high blood pressure meds, and am very happy with my new lease on a healthy life.